Would you travel Europe wearing your Rolex?

I have homes in both Europe and the US and these luxury "snatchings" are crimes of opportunity that are not Euro-specific at all. I never understand all these questions about Europe, as though it's one large dangerous country. Anywhere that is crowded and where there are distracted people presents some opportunity (and tourists are often distracted, looking at the sights/taking selfies/figuring out directions).
Personally I feel safer in Paris than NYC, or Bangkok, or Buenos Aires, etc etc., but I'm also not in a crowd on the Champs-Elysees.
Parts of Europe are ultra-safe, like Monaco and many parts of Suisse. I don't know anywhere in the US that is like that.

I've never really understood owning daily jewelry or watches only to lock them away in a safe. I sold my engagement ring back to Tiffany because of this. It was the only thing I owned that was just too nervewracking and flashy. When I found myself wanting to commission a fake to wear instead, I decided to use the money for other things.

Net net is that like anything else you need to be situationally aware and not distracted.

Reactions: piperdog and eon
I will be going to Europe in Aug/Sept travelling to Paris, Barcelona, Lisbon, Rome, Sorrento & the Greek islands.

Currently torn on whether I should wear my Rolex (datejust 31) or leave it back home.

There have been a lot of videos about people being mugged for their watches as of late.

Curious to know if any of you have travelled recently to Europe and did you take your watch with you?

Mine is basically an extension of my arm as I wear it so much! But I also do not want to risk my personal safety.
Only use items that you can afford to lose. You wouldn't want to ruin your beautiful vacation by dealing with something like this and going to the police station filing reports. Plus, deal with the trauma for life, perhaps.
My friend wore her simple gold necklace walking in a busy city many years ago with her BF. A man grabbed the necklace from her neck in a very swift and shocking manner and passed it on to another man (they work in teams and have a system in place for doing their crimes sadly..so that if person A grabs it from you and you/cops try to chase after him, by the time you did, he already has sneakily and swiftly passed it on to person B, and so when he gets caught, he won't have the possession with him or her and it will confuse you, and he or she doesn't hold the evidence either) about a block away. Her BF tried to chase after the man. She said they thought he looked like a regular person (not big, not tall, not muscular or intimidating) with regular clothes and they didn't think he has a gun..plus the BF was acting on instinct and they were young. When he closed in on the third one who had the possession, the guy whipped out a knife..ready to stab him in his chest! He ran away as fast as he could from him! Thankfully, they survived!
Sometimes, one is so lucky and so blessed that she cannot fathom that a person would hurt someone or kill someone over a thousand dollar jewelry. But yes, it happens. Realize that not everyone is as lucky as you and they have nothing to lose if they do things like these. So be cognizant of these things and always be careful.

I would be careful in Vietnam - got my purse snatched and ended up being dragged into the road before I could get it off my arm so the thieves on the motorbike could get away with it (we were walking like 2 blocks to a local church and back hence small purse...usually had a backpack on otherwise). Our hotel concierge comforted me by saying at least I didn't lose my arm like his sister-in-law who got it hacked off while waiting on a motorbike at a stoplight so they could get her laptop bag.

I honestly think it really depends on whether the criminals notice the valued item on you or not. But Vietnam and Thailand are not universally safe for travellers.
Sorry to hear about what happened to you. Sometimes it’s just wrong place at the wrong time situation.

Interesting thread... I just came back from 2 weeks in Spain and it never occurred to me to be concerned about what jewelry I wore. And, I did wear my Rolex. In Madrid, my kids and I traveled alone by bus and train. They only time I questioned if someone was trying to pull something was on the train. A lady got on, in a fairly empty train, very close to me. Every time, I would move, she would move closer. She had a jacket over one of her hands and I could see her fingers peeking out like they were trying to reach into my bag. Maybe it was nothing, but maybe it wasn't.