Would you travel Europe wearing your Rolex?

lialia03

O.G.
Apr 28, 2011
I will be going to Europe in Aug/Sept travelling to Paris, Barcelona, Lisbon, Rome, Sorrento & the Greek islands.

Currently torn on whether I should wear my Rolex (datejust 31) or leave it back home.

There have been a lot of videos about people being mugged for their watches as of late.

Curious to know if any of you have travelled recently to Europe and did you take your watch with you?

Mine is basically an extension of my arm as I wear it so much! But I also do not want to risk my personal safety.

I traveled to Europe (London/Paris) last summer and everyone warned me not to wear anything nice, especially my Rolex. And so I left it at home. But once I got to London, I saw people wearing Rolex's and other nice watches everywhere, even on the tube. Made me wonder if my friends were just being paranoid... I think a big factor is what parts of the cities you plan to be in. If you're in the higher end areas where the designer stores are, I would say you would be okay. But if you plan to explore all over, probably riskier.

Having said that, don't wear anything you aren't willing to lose.

I have lived in France for nearly 15 years (6 and a half of those in Paris, along with long trips to Rome, Sorrento and other Italian cities) and never have I felt uncomfortable wearing my Rolex Datejust 36, nor have I ever been mugged. So many people wear luxury items here that you'll blend in with the rest, as long as you don't stand in the middle of the street with your nose in a guidebook, or carry a huge DSLR with telephoto lens ;)

It's all in the behaviour and attitude - move with intention as if you know where you are going (even if you don't know), don't respond to random people in the street trying to get your attention, and use your common sense. If you want to be ultra careful, position yourself near buildings, as opposed to being near the street, when walking on the pavement/footpath.

Yes, of course I would. I’m going to predict most of our Europeans wear theirs as well!

No idea where you live, but wouldn’t you just use your same common sense in Europe as you do at home? Don’t wear valuables in certain areas and always be very aware of your surroundings….

I have lived in France for nearly 15 years (6 and a half of those in Paris, along with long trips to Rome, Sorrento and other Italian cities) and never have I felt uncomfortable wearing my Rolex Datejust 36, nor have I ever been mugged. So many people wear luxury items here that you'll blend in with the rest, as long as you don't stand in the middle of the street with your nose in a guidebook, or carry a huge DSLR with telephoto lens ;)

It's all in the behaviour and attitude - move with intention as if you know where you are going (even if you don't know), don't respond to random people in the street trying to get your attention, and use your common sense. If you want to be ultra careful, position yourself near buildings, as opposed to being near the street, when walking on the pavement/footpath.
Oh how lucky to live in such wonderful places! :loveeyes:Thank you for your insight.. it has most certainly put my mind at ease. There have been so many other threads on different websites with some very alarming stories especially over the past year or so.

Reactions: seidokat
Yes, of course I would. I’m going to predict most of our Europeans wear theirs as well!

No idea where you live, but wouldn’t you just use your same common sense in Europe as you do at home? Don’t wear valuables in certain areas and always be very aware of your surroundings….
That is a very valid point. I live in Australia and during the past year have come across some viral posts about the increase of muggings etc. It definitely made me second guess things.

Oh how lucky to live in such wonderful places! :loveeyes:Thank you for your insight.. it has most certainly put my mind at ease. There have been so many other threads on different websites with some very alarming stories especially over the past year or so.
I live in Australia and during the past year have come across some viral posts about the increase of muggings etc.
Thanks, but here I am, wanting to visit Australia sometime soon:love: so much of the news is alarmist these days. If we give in to all of the fears that they're hawking on the telly and elsewhere, we'd never leave the house ;)

Generally, we have virtually zero violent crime in western Europe, but do be aware that we do have scams aplenty - please don't sign any 'petitions for the blind', beware of extra charges in touristic restaurants (best to give those places a miss altogether and eat in places with locals), and avoid the friendship bracelet sellers.

Thanks, but here I am, wanting to visit Australia sometime soon:love: so much of the news is alarmist these days. If we give in to all of the fears that they're hawking on the telly and elsewhere, we'd never leave the house ;)

Generally, we have virtually zero violent crime in western Europe, but do be aware that we do have scams aplenty - please don't sign any 'petitions for the blind', beware of extra charges in touristic restaurants (best to give those places a miss altogether and eat in places with locals), and avoid the friendship bracelet sellers.
Thank you - You have definitely put things into perspective for me… some very valid points and thanks for the tips.. I will be sure to steer clear of any petitions:angel: Hope you will have the chance to travel around Aus!

Reactions: seidokat
It depends where you’re from. If you’re traveling from NYC to Paris, it’d be basically the same. You would know how to behave in a big city and beware of your surroundings.
But if you’re from a small town and going to crowded places in a big city (Europe or USA, it doesn’t matter), you couldve missed some dangerous signs and get robbed.

I’m from a very big city and I am very comfortable in Paris, Rome or Johannesburg. But I wouldn’t survive on a farm somewhere far away.

That’s true, but you usually know your own city and the areas that are not safe, it is more difficult to know where these areas are in cities you are visiting for the first time.
Whenever I travel I take jewelry that I don’t take off so I don’t leave anything in the hotel. My mom brought 2 pairs of earrings one time and one pair got stolen in a Miami hotel. Whatever I take I wear every day.

I'm traveling the Europe this summer and I'm not bringing my Rolex or other fine jewelry. It's not that I'm worried about getting mugged, but it's going to be hot - I'm going to be on boats, at beach and I don't want to wear it all the time. Even staying in 5 star hotels, I don't like leaving my high end jewelry behind. I've had several SAs at Cartier and VCA tell me never leave anything in a hotel safe.