Would you travel Europe wearing your Rolex?

This literally happened today: a Thai tourist with a 600k watch was snatched right off a famous shopping street in Munich, where it is considered one of the safest cities in Europe. Turns out the thief is a professional and is wanted all over Europe (but I guess never caught so far). While I am sure your watch would not gather that much attention - you never know who is watching. I still remember losing a diamond bracelet when I was traveling, and it still hurts even now… and worse is: I didn’t insure it… so now I only travel with plain or small pave jewelry, unless I’m traveling with my husband. If your watch is a plain gold one, I think it should be ok. If it’s with diamonds and catch attention easily, I would leave it behind. Safe travels and have fun!

Totally irrelevant at this point, but if his watch alone was $600K I can’t help but to envision more jewelry in similar price ranges and I’m thinking he should’ve had a body guard.

Totally irrelevant at this point, but if his watch alone was $600K I can’t help but to envision more jewelry in similar price ranges and I’m thinking he should’ve had a body guard.

There is def a false sense of security. Munich is usually VERY safe and known for being a walkable city (I would argue more so than Paris), and people are used to seeing flashy tourists, as it’s one of the hot spots for middle eastern travelers to spend the summer in Bavaria (among other places). It’s not uncommon seeing high value watches on men, and jewelry on women. In general no one really bat an eyelash, especially because of all the super cars randomly parked on the street, and in front of hotels, which usually are more valuable (but hard to steal, i degrees). In addition, the thief is def highly specialized, as the tourist was just walking around, and the watch was taken off his waist behind his back. Some said he was tracking him for awhile, and was just looking for the right opportunity. The tourist tried to chase him a few blocks but ultimately has given up. Upon reviewing the surveillance video, the police realized the thief was wanted all over Europe… I personally interested how ON EARTH he can steal it RIGHT off his waist! Sounds like something that happens in a movie than real life.

There is def a false sense of security. Munich is usually VERY safe and known for being a walkable city (I would argue more so than Paris), and people are used to seeing flashy tourists, as it’s one of the hot spots for middle eastern travelers to spend the summer in Bavaria (among other places). It’s not uncommon seeing high value watches on men, and jewelry on women. In general no one really bat an eyelash, especially because of all the super cars randomly parked on the street, and in front of hotels, which usually are more valuable (but hard to steal, i degrees). In addition, the thief is def highly specialized, as the tourist was just walking around, and the watch was taken off his waist behind his back. Some said he was tracking him for awhile, and was just looking for the right opportunity. The tourist tried to chase him a few blocks but ultimately has given up. Upon reviewing the surveillance video, the police realized the thief was wanted all over Europe… I personally interested how ON EARTH he can steal it RIGHT off his waist! Sounds like something that happens in a movie than real life.

Watch was taken off his waist?

• Haha
Reactions: xiaoxiao
There was an article in a French newspaper about this, the thieves know how to open the clasp of the watch, and apparently one person will bump the victim and the other grabs their hand/arm and removes the watch quickly while the victim is trying to recover balance.

• Wow
Reactions: xiaoxiao
@orangeamor I have been living in Paris for nearly 10 years, and I do wear my luxury watches and jewelry on a daily basis. In my social circles, most who wear Rolexes are more cautious and decide based on the neighborhood, while those wearing less recognizable watches or ones with lower resale value tend to wear them all the time.

I would say that if you are concerned, better to leave it at home in a safe deposit box at the bank. If you wear it, keep it on you all the time, do not trust the hotel safe or the front desk. You can also wrap a twilly over it if you want to be extra discreet in certain areas or while taking public transport.

I would like to add some nuance to the great advice others have already shared, specifically for Paris/France :
  1. Theft of luxury watches increased by 31% from 2021-2022 in France, so risk is higher than before
  2. Areas with a high concentration of 5-star hotels are quite high-risk : the Champs-Elysées, around the Arc de Triomphe, avenue George V, etc. are places where tourists often are robbed, please be extra vigilant there
  3. Lastly, a very unfortunate reality: people of Asian origin are more likely to be targeted (I say this as someone of Asian origin myself, it is not to be racist but just to be aware of the higher risk).

• Insightful
Reactions: xiaoxiao and etudes
I have worn my Rolex to many parts of Italy, Greece, France, Russia - zero problems because I travel with a group. Can’t vouch for fully independent travelers…you might want to be more careful. Also depends on where you’re staying etc.

Over in Asia, I have no problems wearing in in Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore - very safe country, Hong Kong as fully independent traveler.

If you are conscious of it then don’t wear it as you won’t be able to enjoy your holiday thinking over the watch.

Reactions: Evia and etudes
I will be going to Europe in Aug/Sept travelling to Paris, Barcelona, Lisbon, Rome, Sorrento & the Greek islands.

Currently torn on whether I should wear my Rolex (datejust 31) or leave it back home.

There have been a lot of videos about people being mugged for their watches as of late.

Curious to know if any of you have travelled recently to Europe and did you take your watch with you?

Mine is basically an extension of my arm as I wear it so much! But I also do not want to risk my personal safety.
If you live in the US, I can't think why anyone would think that Europe would be any less safe. From what I hear, New York is crazy bad crime and guns aren't legal in Europe either!

• Thanks
Reactions: GraffS
Over in Asia, I have no problems wearing in in Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore - very safe country, Hong Kong as fully independent traveler.
I would be careful in Vietnam - got my purse snatched and ended up being dragged into the road before I could get it off my arm so the thieves on the motorbike could get away with it (we were walking like 2 blocks to a local church and back hence small purse...usually had a backpack on otherwise). Our hotel concierge comforted me by saying at least I didn't lose my arm like his sister-in-law who got it hacked off while waiting on a motorbike at a stoplight so they could get her laptop bag.

I honestly think it really depends on whether the criminals notice the valued item on you or not. But Vietnam and Thailand are not universally safe for travellers.

Generally, when I travel, I wear lightweight long sleeves and round necks, that way I can tuck jewelry away if I want to be cautious. I want to dress neatly with some style, but not to attract undue attention.

DH and I were mugged in Retiro Park in Madrid 36 years ago on our honeymoon. The thieves stole our wedding bands and my favorite Swatch watch. Luckily, I did not travel with my e-ring, just a simple (size 3.75) gold band. As a result, I do not travel with anything I truly care about. We were just kids and had nothing. It did lead to some interesting events in Franco’s Spain in which subsequent hotels did not believe DH and I were married, as our passports had different names.

I will say, if you travel to Japan, you can wear anything you want. I went there in April, and I’ve never felt so safe anywhere. The food is amazing too.