Would you travel Europe wearing your Rolex?

That’s true, but you usually know your own city and the areas that are not safe, it is more difficult to know where these areas are in cities you are visiting for the first time.
Whenever I travel I take jewelry that I don’t take off so I don’t leave anything in the hotel. My mom brought 2 pairs of earrings one time and one pair got stolen in a Miami hotel. Whatever I take I wear every day.
I do the same! Only bring fine jewelry that I don't plan on removing OR bring fun costume jewelry that has minimal value.

I’m in Europe visiting family at the moment and have brought a small selection of my nicer pieces, however my home country is fairly safe when it comes to fine jewellery. People are quite status conscious here and it’s the norm to see women decked up to the nines in gold and diamonds! I would avoid wearing anything very obviously branded and/or expensive in big capital cities like London, Rome, Paris etc. My Dad has been mugged in Rome and Milan several times and although he dresses nicely he doesn’t care about brands.

Reactions: Monaliceke and duna
I'm traveling the Europe this summer and I'm not bringing my Rolex or other fine jewelry. It's not that I'm worried about getting mugged, but it's going to be hot - I'm going to be on boats, at beach and I don't want to wear it all the time. Even staying in 5 star hotels, I don't like leaving my high end jewelry behind. I've had several SAs at Cartier and VCA tell me never leave anything in a hotel safe.
Great point! It didn’t even cross my mind the logistics/comfort of wearing jewellery for certain activities

Reactions: Louboutin329
I think so long as you're aware, why not?

Be aware of the usual scams, as I taught DH, when someone asks you "Do you have the time on you?" it's usually to a)get you to stop b) so they can get so they can check out (or checkout) your watch or your phone - and they won't be alone. You ether pretend you didn't hear, say in German (or whatever) "sorry I don't understand" or tell them "Same as on your phone" - keep moving.

I get the point by @Louboutin329, the worst place (unless they have a safe safe) is in a hotel bedroom. I've had presents stolen from a very exclusive and expensive Stockholm hotel to be told if it was worth anything, I should have given them in to reception - so even some bedroom hotel safes are not (safe). All travellers are targets.

I haver been around the world several times and took the minimum. I agree with @snibor, have fun and no worries whilst you're abroad. Leave you watch at home if it's going to be on your mind.

I tend not to wear mine in Europe. In fact in Europe I tend to only wear one pair of earrings and one bracelet or a simple watch. In my earlier traveling days I brought sets (earrings, watch, ring, bracelets, necklaces) but as I grew older I found traveling with just 2-3 basic jewelry pieces better. Less things to worry about. That’s just me.

Reactions: Monaliceke
When I travel, I tend to wear the same jewelry that I would normally wear every day at home. I usually have sleeves over my wrists; I don’t really change out; I’m careful about where I go; and I observe big city precautions. I’ve stopped wearing watches in general, but DH finds his ALange watches less attention getting than his GMT Rolex.

Reactions: haute okole
I went to Europe last July (Paris, Venice and Rome) and wore my vintage Rolex, and didn't have any problems. I put it in the hotel safe when I didn't want to wear it (it was uncomfortable because of how hot it got).

I have worn my Rolexes many times in the past while visiting Europe without hesitation or issue, but I’m wearing my Cartier (and more modest e-ring) when we head over next week. While crime happens everywhere and the key is to be aware and smart, it seems crime is now UP everywhere (including in the US)…especially crimes of opportunity. I have the Cartier and alternative e-ring (1ct vs. nearly 3ct), so it’s no bother for me to switch out. Even locally, I pull out my Cartier sometimes depending on where I am going. I was wearing a Rolex just the other night while out celebrating a friend’s birthday in a respectable bar district (not in the downtown corridor). Stayed later than expected, the bar got crowded and it “came unlatched” while my arm was resting on the back of a bar stool. I immediately felt it was not secure and latched it, then kept my arm near my body. It’s never just come unlatched by itself, so I assume someone tried to lift it. Had I known I was going to stay out that late (my fault, but it was a fun time LOL), I would have worn my Cartier. But the decision to wear the Cartier to Europe last week was made well before that incident.

• Wow
Reactions: peppermint_tea
This is a very interesting discussion. As someone living in (central) Europe (and also travelling extensively on the continent, and beyond) I'm quite surprised about the security concerns, as I have to openly admit that these wouldn't have crossed my mind at all. While I don't own a Rolex, I know many people who do and they all wear it out and about just everywhere, including when they are on vacation anywhere from Portugal to Istanbul, from London to Greek islands.
In my opinion it would be depending on the type of holiday I have planned - is it a sporty trip, will I be spending all my time at the beach or pool (anywhere I also wouldn't wear a watch at home), leave it behind. Is it a city trip, where you'll spend most of your days in museums, cafes and restaurants? Absolutely bring it along. I'd feel the same about Cartier actually :smile:

This literally happened today: a Thai tourist with a 600k watch was snatched right off a famous shopping street in Munich, where it is considered one of the safest cities in Europe. Turns out the thief is a professional and is wanted all over Europe (but I guess never caught so far). While I am sure your watch would not gather that much attention - you never know who is watching. I still remember losing a diamond bracelet when I was traveling, and it still hurts even now… and worse is: I didn’t insure it… so now I only travel with plain or small pave jewelry, unless I’m traveling with my husband. If your watch is a plain gold one, I think it should be ok. If it’s with diamonds and catch attention easily, I would leave it behind. Safe travels and have fun!