Would you ever let your 12 year old borrow your designer bag?

This topic is debating hard in one thread. I understand how parents love their kids, but I really think it's not a good idea. It's not just about responsibility and maturity, IMO it's not safe to let a kid carrying expensive bags. If they got kidnapping, those parents should blame themselves, shouldn't them?????:shrugs:

I totally agree! My biggest fear with letting a young child carry an expensive bag is getting mugged. Not so much harming the bag really, I mean you can always buy another bag but the trama that a child might go through because she was mugged is another story. I'd let my child carry a bag (I don't have children yet) only if I was present with her. Also depends on the bag, I'm wouldn't let my 12 year old carry LV, maybe a Coach or something more low-key but I would also prefer them to wait until they are older. I mean that's your childhood you should have like a bag with Barbie doll on it or something.

Not unless that twelve year old achieved something above and beyond what I would have expected of her, as in raised ten thousand dollars to feed the homeless or started a tutoring program at her school--she would definitely have to work hard to carry that bag. I would also make her sign a contract stating that she is financially responsible for damage to/loss of the bag. Yes, I'm a hard ass, but I don't believe in giving anything of significant value freely at that age.

I personally wouldn't allow a 12 year old (daughter or relative) borrow my high end bags... nor would I purchase one for her. At most, I would perhaps consider an LV mono/damier/azur pochette, since they are durable and they currently retail $285, which isn't too expensive to me. Even then, I would prefer to buy that for an older teen than a 12 year old.

Assuming I believed that my child was responsible and mature enough to be trusted with a designer bag, I'd far prefer to buy one for her, than lend her mine.

This is because, if she didn't take proper care of it and it was lost or damaged, she would, hopefully, learn from her mistake; as I wouldn't buy her a new one for a good while!

Whereas, if I lent her mine, I would be the only one to learn from my mistake! :lol:

I don't have kids yet, I'm only 22 and i have nagged my parents to buy me designer things ever since I was 15. I think it was the best thing that they did buy me some things but also offered and insisted that I take many art classes, learn many foreign languages, do well at school etc...
This probably doesn't seem that relevent but I think that it's exptremely important to provide a very good education and upbringing along with the interest in material goods, otherwise you could become very materialistic and shallow from very young.
Also, I disagree with many people here, it's not about borrowing something and worrying that your daughter would ruin it.It's not the most importnat thing in the world, and stuff is meant to be used to accomodate your needs, not worrying all the time if it gets scratched or the handles darken. After all it is only an object, and I know this will raise many gasps since we are in the purse forum!

I agree with the people who said that kids need to learn the value of money first.
My point is I wouldn't help a 12 year old get caught up in the designer race.
However I would help them aquire a taste for fine things in general, and help them have good taste. After that, maybe at 16 I would lend them and probably buy them a designer bag!