Would you buy a house where the owner had died?

I think I wouldn't buy it! I believe my mind would start to play tricks on me! lol! But I do believe that sometimes, a ghost, or spirits do stay. When my dad rented a house for us to live, we all knew it had something going on. At that time I was like around 12 or so and my bro was in elementary school, we always heard like footsteps especially in the kitchen and the corridor leading to the living room. That's when the owner, my dad's friend told us that his wife had died in the living room from I believe was a heart attack, or something like that. My dad didn't believe us when we told him about all the things we felt, until one day he woke up during the nite to go get water,and he saw someone rocking on the chair in the living room. He thought it was one of us nut then he saw everyone was asleep. lol. So yes, I believe that if the person died in their house, sometimes they do stay.

I have to be honest - when I saw the thread title and number of pages, I just knew I would find 6 pages worth of posts that said "what difference does it make? Of course I would still buy it."

Needless to say I was shocked at the number of responses by people for whom it actually would make a difference.

My answer? Would make absolutely no difference - zero...no matter how or when they passed, natural death, suicide or murdered. Has nothing to do with the house.

That said, I did live in a haunted house once! I don't believe it was the spirit of a human who had passed though. There are 'things' all around us all the time, IMO - but I don't believe 'ghosts' are spirits of the human departed.

As far as I know, all states have to disclose whether or not a death has occurred within the home.

Our home is 50 years old, but nobody has passed away there. Honestly I don't think I'd have an issue with it. I love weird stuff and I do believe in hauntings... it'd have to have been a pretty gruesome crime to stop me from buying the home if I loved it. There are a couple of local homes I can think of where high-profile murders took place, and both of those are now occupied without any issues. I go to a lot of estate sales in a lot of older homes, and many times the elderly owners have died within the home. I have never once gotten the "creepy vibe" from one of these homes. The one and only time I've gotten a horrible vibe from a house was an estate sale I went to in a 100+ year old home. It got so bad I couldn't breathe, and I had to leave. I don't know the history of the house or if anything bad ever happened there or not. But, that's a house I wouldn't purchase.

A lady I used to know know moved into a duplex (this was in Florida, several years ago) where a man had murdered his family only about a month or two prior. Her husband rented the duplex before she was in town, and they didn't know about what happened there until they'd already moved in and been living there a few days. It was to be a temporary living space for them, so they opted to just stay there. Anyway, after they'd lived there about a month, one day she flushed the toilet and some shotgun shells (yes, from the murder) floated up. Apparently the dude had tried to flush them and they'd been stuck in the plumbing for a while. I think I can safely say that would have freaked me out. (And yes they did call the police about it.)

Whoa!! Would of freaked me out :faint:

I dont know if realitors have to mention deaths being in the home or not.. but I wouldnt ask a realitor that either. "Has anyone ever been murdered here?" is not a thought that would come to my mind when buying a home. If I didn't get a good vibe from the home, I wouldn't buy it, plain and simple. I would be more interested in where I would be putting my shoes and purses!

My grandmother died in the house we lived in at the time. We had lived there for 7 years prior, and lived there for atleast 4 after her death. She died in the room next to me, from breast cancer, after having hospice for a few weeks. Never bothered me one bit. Now that I think back, I wasn't even scared to sleep or anything. Whenever I would walk into that room afterwards, I would feel peaceful actually.

My family is very superstitious, so if the owner of a house (or anyone in there) had died from natural causes, no problem. Otherwise, it would be a no-go, no questions asked.

So basically if you buy an old house there's a chance someone died in it. If you build a new house there's a chance someone died on that land. You never know and in all honestly at some point of history someone most likely did die there, natural causes or not. The only difference is whether or not you know about it. If you know, it will probably bother you.

I'm not sure about ghosts, if they are real or not. If one haunted my house, unless it tried to kill me I wouldn't care. If its that desperate to watch me naked, go ahead.

The other day I was sitting in my living room and my cat was staring at what appeared to be nothing, but staring intently at it. Ghost or just a fly on the wall? Who knows, I didn't really care either way, went back to watching The Office.

My DH told me many many many freaky stories about his EX's family house.

they moved into a crackhead house ( and still live there) til this day where a few people got murdered in there.

The house is HEAVILY haunted.

eeeek!!!!!

No. I have lived in a house where the previous owner died, unfortunately I don't know how because I was a kid and it was odd (doors opening and closing, foot prints that were not my family's and other things). I would rather not repeat the experience.

exactly!!!

anyone ever watch "A Haunting"? yeahhh.

Btw, as u can see this topic really interests me. lol

The last house I lived at, we shared it with someone. The daughters parents owned it.

She moved back in after her parents let a family rent it out for a few years. After my DH got a ghostly encounter the first few times, he brought it up to her.

Thats when she told us that the previous people..the grandma passed away inside the freakin house but not sure which room. O_O...and it could of been OUR room we stayed in!

She then also admitted she got encountered a few times.