Would you buy a Hermes Birkin from craigslist?

Pictures are useless, they can send you a hundred pics but if the seller is not a reputable seller, the pics mean nothing. But from they the OP replied, she sounded like she's determined to go ahead. In that case please update us on the outcome.

Exactly. Pictures aren't really of much use since bait and switch scams have gotten so sophisticated. Paypal doesn't offer much protection for transactions outside of e(vil)bay so that's really not much help.

My question is, if the bag is authentic why is the seller not using a re-seller or consignment shop to facilitate the sale? The bag seems to be located in an area which would have high-end consignment shops so why not use them? The amount they're selling the bag for seems pretty close to what they'd get after using a consignment shop or e-retailer so why not do so and save the hassle?

I see that you already own countless birkins, so it is understandable that you might feel safe looking at pictures. But the bag you get might not be the bag you see in the photographs.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. I would not take such a risk.

This may just be my weirdness, but WHY BUY A BIRKIN FROM ANYONE BUT HERMES?????
The price is usually higher, you are never sure if it is authentic as the copies are incredibly good anymore. I can not afford to spend that kind of money on a FAKE. Just my thoughts.

I understand why someone might buy from an established reseller, if they are confident the bag is authentic. The reseller might have the exact bag they are looking for, and the price, while high, may be worth paying for them. Not everyone can get exactly what they want when they want it from an Hermes boutique. Even if the bag eventually materializes, if it takes a long time prices go up so much that it might not be that much more than what a reseller charged previously.
But craigslist is different from established resellers, obviously.

no, there are many better resellers that are highly recommended by tpfrs. Contact them and let them know what you are looking for. Safer, better, and most importantly, peace of mind. ZERO hassle factor.

Thanks for your input ladies. The seller sent me detailed pics so I know that it is authentic. However I like the protection that ebay offers.:giggles:

I am not an "authenticator" but from experience, this bag does NOT look authentic to me.

Edit: OP, I know that wasn't your question but I feel the need to warn others reading this.

Never. And why would you want to buy from Craig's list when there are so many authenticated bags on e-bay which also protects you as a buyer?

I stand bewildered.

:confused1: :confused1:

The bag in the listing does not seem to clear my esthetic standard of authentic Birkin, although I'm not saying it's not authentic, as you seem to know much to decide it on your own. So I wouldn't go ahead even if I had multiple protection with PayPal and Credit Card, which I believe is not available for purchase at Craigslist.