Home & Garden wood floors in whole house or carpet in bedrooms?

i'd do all wood if it was for me, but i know most people are different. I just find that it looks so much nicer and classier than carpet, not to mention that i have animals and it's a lot easier to pick up messes than on carpeting. Plus if you don't own the house, if you rent it, you never know what the previous owners did on the carpet with mud, animals, whatever.

+1

thank you for all the responses
we have a whole house remodel to do and we're going nuts with all the decisions
Last wk I was re-looking at stained concrete. Today we're pretty sure we're going with wood everywhere except bathrooms.
I'm a bit concerned about the kitchen but will probably get a lightweight vacuum and pick up spills as they occur.

I like wood, you can always put area rugs down. We have carpet in the bedrooms, and I can't wait to rip them out. They collect dust and allergens like crazy. You have to actually move the furniture to clean. Area rugs are so pretty, and you can change them out if you want something different[emoji6]

My thoughts exactly. We had a rug in the bedroom but I got rid of it because it collects dust and I'm allergic to it.

I love wood floors and have them in our city apartment.

For the house though, I ripped the oak floors out and replaced the kitchen, hallways and all living areas (except for the bedrooms where I will have carpeting) with porcelain plank tiles.To make it more interesting, I plan on throwing a couple of rugs in various sizes over them.

My reason is, we have two dogs. My wood floors just can't withstand them. If you look closely, you can see the scratches witch drives me nuts. It also feels like they're constantly dirty.

Porcelain can withstand pretty much anything including wet, slobbery dogs and cleans up easy.

This is what they look like (before I chose the grout). Not the best pic but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 11895012_414298465430036_5309418467229646751_o.jpg
    11895012_414298465430036_5309418467229646751_o.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 365
I love wood floors and have them in our city apartment.

For the house though, I ripped the oak floors out and replaced the kitchen, hallways and all living areas (except for the bedrooms where I will have carpeting) with porcelain plank tiles.To make it more interesting, I plan on throwing a couple of rugs in various sizes over them.

My reason is, we have two dogs. My wood floors just can't withstand them. If you look closely, you can see the scratches witch drives me nuts. It also feels like they're constantly dirty.

Porcelain can withstand pretty much anything including wet, slobbery dogs and cleans up easy.

This is what they look like (before I chose the grout). Not the best pic but you get the idea.
is that a pic of your dogs at the bottom? they're adorable
We looked at at lot of homes with acreage and it seems like many people with dogs go for tile - makes sense; yours looks nice

I hate carpet! I saw what was under the original carpet we tore up when remodeling and I'll never have wall-to-wall carpet again!

Even the living room area rug we have grosses me out sometimes. The Roomba vacuums, then I go over it with the dyson and it still sucks up crud! Carpets are just nasty!!!!

We have wood in the kitchen but good sized rugs in front of the fridge, sink and stove. I spot clean the floor as needed & vacuum as needed aside from regular damp mopping w/ Bona.
so we finally got our wood floors installed....haven't moved in yet but I bought a Dyson cordless vacuum and some Bona hardwood floor cleaner. My plan is to try spraying some Bona on the mop head or directly on the floor maybe once a week. I don't want to get the floor any wetter than that if I can help it.

I decided not to buy the Bona mop. I'd met a woman at BBB who told me the one that dispenses the product wasn't worth it and I read some negative online reviews of the Bona mop that folds.

I'm thinking of going to walmart or home depot try see if I can get a different microfiber mop, maybe with a bigger head and sturdier handle. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
O'Cedar makes some that look OK and get some good ratings on Amazon.

I don't have hardwood, I have Pergo (chosen because of cost and having dogs) and some other brand of laminate that looks like slate tiles in the kitchen. I use the Bona stuff for laminate and love it, especially the dust mop part. I have a couple of the white fuzzy mop head thingys so that there is always a clean one available--I am amazed as to the amount of dirt that those things wipe up, even after vacuuming. The installers warned me to NEVER let water puddle on these floors, so the Bona system works for me. I've used a spray bottle with vinegar & water too, it's just more work. I also have lots of "oriental" rugs on the floors, which warm things up. Even those can get gross--I vacuum one side then flip them over and vacuum again and still pick up dirt.

The only negative I could think of for having wood floors in a kitchen is that some friends had a coffee pot that malfunctioned during the night while everyone was asleep and the big puddle of water sitting on the wood floor was NOT good, but stuff does happen.

I don't have hardwood, I have Pergo (chosen because of cost and having dogs) and some other brand of laminate that looks like slate tiles in the kitchen. I use the Bona stuff for laminate and love it, especially the dust mop part. I have a couple of the white fuzzy mop head thingys so that there is always a clean one available--I am amazed as to the amount of dirt that those things wipe up, even after vacuuming. The installers warned me to NEVER let water puddle on these floors, so the Bona system works for me. I've used a spray bottle with vinegar & water too, it's just more work. I also have lots of "oriental" rugs on the floors, which warm things up. Even those can get gross--I vacuum one side then flip them over and vacuum again and still pick up dirt.

The only negative I could think of for having wood floors in a kitchen is that some friends had a coffee pot that malfunctioned during the night while everyone was asleep and the big puddle of water sitting on the wood floor was NOT good, but stuff does happen.
yes, there is that risk....we worry about the dishwasher or something leaking but we have a few extra boxes of wood and will hope for the best

I did stained concrete floors scored to look like wood on my entire first floor and carpet upstairs because no one's really up there. I have an area rug in my bedroom and one in the living room and that's it. Everyone thinks it's wood when they see it. This was much cheaper than either carpet or wood and it's low maintenance and indestructible. Best home design decision I ever made. Especially with a bunch of dogs. :tup:

I did stained concrete floors scored to look like wood on my entire first floor and carpet upstairs because no one's really up there. I have an area rug in my bedroom and one in the living room and that's it. Everyone thinks it's wood when they see it. This was much cheaper than either carpet or wood and it's low maintenance and indestructible. Best home design decision I ever made. Especially with a bunch of dogs. :tup:
sounds good
we looked a lot of homes and most people with dogs went with either tile or laminate - something that could hold up to dogs.
Good for you if you got stained concrete for a good price. The company that quoted us was as expensive as the nice engineered wood we got.