Home & Garden wood floors in whole house or carpet in bedrooms?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
We're doing a whole house remodel. Will have tile in kitchen and bathrooms. I was thinking of doing engineered wood in whole front of house except kitchen and doing carpet in bedrooms - partly it's cheaper and partly because it's comfortable to step on when you're getting out of bed.
But wood wouldn't cost that much more and carpet eventually gets trashed.
Thoughts?

I like carpet in bedrooms too. It makes it seem more like home to me. I think that's because I grew up with carpet. I like getting up in the morning and doing a short yoga routine on the floor. I also don't care for rugs whose borders stop suddenly, or rug fringe that gets misaligned all the time.

You can shampoo the carpet periodically and replace it when it gets trashed.

I like closed loop (?) carpet (like berber) because it lasts longer and doesn't get matted down like cut pile. However the loops can come undone, so I think next time I replace I want to try one that is a combo of cut pile and closed loop (?).

If you don't walk on your bedroom floors a lot, you can keep your bedroom carpet cleaner. You could also keep your bedroom doors closed during the day.

Oh, I would choose a synthetic carpet over wool because it's easier to clean. That's another reason I don't care for rugs - the beautiful ones are wool and the synthetic ones are not as pretty IMO.

EDIT: The thing I would dislike about carpet in the bedrooms is the break at the threshold. In my home, I run the carpet in the hall parallel with the wood floor in the living areas so that there are no breaks at the door openings to the bedrooms. (The hall is short.)

Last edited:
I agree w/ you, I like the warmth of carpet on my bedroom floors. However, our last home had wood floors throughout and I was surprised that I liked it as well. I bought 2 big rugs and laid them sort of haphazardly so I still stepped off bed onto rug. I loved the floors!

I'll try and find a pic of what I mean. . .

I prefer all wood floor aside from kitchen/ bathroom. Can't stand carpet it gets dirty and gross especially when people walk bare foot on it. There's no way to "clean" it as it's not sth u can pick up and rinse off

Great ideas
10124f7a7b249e4cb0d41d09a5f9d967.jpg

layering-textiles-such-as-coordinating-duvets-and-blankets-on-the-bed-and-a-plush-throw-rug-by-the-bedside-is-a-great-way-to-add-pattern-texture-and-warmth-to-your-bedroom..jpg

THc-Shaggy-rugs.jpg

5bc9664320a23971fd4625402dac7d4b.jpg

62baa0e2a6303f08ac654412cb4627a7.jpg

122f3f0c390a4b3b4735e7218331eb10.jpg

Reactions: loves and horse17
I like wood, you can always put area rugs down. We have carpet in the bedrooms, and I can't wait to rip them out. They collect dust and allergens like crazy. You have to actually move the furniture to clean. Area rugs are so pretty, and you can change them out if you want something different[emoji6]

Reactions: loves
Great ideas
10124f7a7b249e4cb0d41d09a5f9d967.jpg

layering-textiles-such-as-coordinating-duvets-and-blankets-on-the-bed-and-a-plush-throw-rug-by-the-bedside-is-a-great-way-to-add-pattern-texture-and-warmth-to-your-bedroom..jpg

THc-Shaggy-rugs.jpg

5bc9664320a23971fd4625402dac7d4b.jpg

62baa0e2a6303f08ac654412cb4627a7.jpg

122f3f0c390a4b3b4735e7218331eb10.jpg
nice pictures......I like everything in that last photo
thanks all for your input.....(I can't multiquote)

I'm going to drive DH crazy....one day it's keep tile in family room; next day it's wood there and carpet in bedrooms. Now I'm leaning towards wood everywhere because I know we don't replace carpet as often as we should

I much prefer wood floors with area rugs. Something about wall to wall carpeting never feels or looks clean to me.
and it's a pain to get them cleaned - moving furniture, etc, and even more so to replace them.
I'm thinking wood should stay nice for a long time with just normal cleaning

Growing up I had carpets in every room and loved that it was soft on my feet. Moved in to an all wood floor home and I like it a lot better because it reminds me to clean (dust bunnies!) Just purchased another home and would like to do all wood everywhere but it's not financially smart so we're going to carpet the bedrooms (except the master) and wood everywhere else.

Long story short -- I think your idea is great!

When we purchased our house, we had all the carpet (except in daylight basement) taken out and replaced with hardwoods, even in bedrooms...no regrets. We did keep the tile in the kitchen. Having hardwoods instead of carpet helps with allergies (dust mites, mold etc). We did have area rugs, but had to pull them up due to a delinquent dog. I don't mind not having area rugs as bare hardwoods are much easier to clean, as you can do quick sweeps with a swiffer instead of pulling out the vaccuum all the time. Also, you can also change up color schemes by switching out area rugs should you go that route.
Good luck deciding!

When we purchased our house, we had all the carpet (except in daylight basement) taken out and replaced with hardwoods, even in bedrooms...no regrets. We did keep the tile in the kitchen. Having hardwoods instead of carpet helps with allergies (dust mites, mold etc). We did have area rugs, but had to pull them up due to a delinquent dog. I don't mind not having area rugs as bare hardwoods are much easier to clean, as you can do quick sweeps with a swiffer instead of pulling out the vaccuum all the time. Also, you can also change up color schemes by switching out area rugs should you go that route.
Good luck deciding!
I like easy to clean
I'm thinking we need area rugs in front of sofa, under dining rm table, under of next to bed, etc

One thing that kind of bothers me - you always see area rugs under the dining room table with wood floors but it seems like cleaning up bits of food would be much easier without the area rug.

The top 3 floors of our house have the same oak wood floors, except the entry ways (front and side), and bathrooms are all marble floors. I love the seamless transition from room to room and how clean it feels. We have area rugs all over to define the spaces and/or add warmth.
I refuse to put area rugs under the kitchen or dinning room tables. The dinning room has a walnut trim boarder stained a darker colour that defines the dinning table area. It is an elegant and clean way to define the space and makes an area rug there unnecessary. Gives you an alternative for that room.

I don't like carpet....it just always feels dirty to me and seems dated.

The top 3 floors of our house have the same oak wood floors, except the entry ways (front and side), and bathrooms are all marble floors. I love the seamless transition from room to room and how clean it feels. We have area rugs all over to define the spaces and/or add warmth.
I refuse to put area rugs under the kitchen or dinning room tables. The dinning room has a walnut trim boarder stained a darker colour that defines the dinning table area. It is an elegant and clean way to define the space and makes an area rug there unnecessary. Gives you an alternative for that room.

I don't like carpet....it just always feels dirty to me and seems dated.
that's an interesting idea
I think we'll put the table in and then decide what size rug or if we even need one under there
It would be much easier to clean without one