Home & Garden wood floors in whole house or carpet in bedrooms?

I replaced all of the carpet in my house with wood floors (tile in the kitchen and bathrooms). After ripping up the carpet and seeing the build up of "stuff" underneath, I swore I would never have wall to wall carpet again because I was so grossed out.

Hardwood is so easy to clean, and I don't worry about spilling on it either. I am thinking of getting an area rug for the bedroom, there are lots of great choices out there!

Growing up I remember shampooing carpets, moving furniture and waiting for the carpets to dry :smile: The entire event was quite a process. I prefer wood and have tile in my kitchen/bathroom.

I dont like tile flooring for a kitchen because it's murder on the back if you actually cook a lot. Wood is infinitely more comfortable underfoot in a kitchen.

I like wood floors for main parts of the house, with area rugs.

all wood with area rugs in every room. i love being able to replace them easily..not worry too much about stuff spilling or staining.

i'll never have wall to wall again. i bought some big shaggy rugs at costco for the kids rooms, everyone is happy.

we had to do engineered wood because everything is slab, so that was a bummer. i really wanted true-hardwood, but the process would have been very expensive (subfloor on slab) and that would have elevated the floor higher than our tile.

I like carpet in bedrooms and the basement, tile in the kitchen and baths, and wood everywhere else. That is what I have in my house now. But the carpet has to be nice, good quality carpet. I hate the feeling of cheap carpet on my feet! I have wool carpet which wasn't cheap but it looks and feels beautiful.

I dont like tile flooring for a kitchen because it's murder on the back if you actually cook a lot. Wood is infinitely more comfortable underfoot in a kitchen.

I like wood floors for main parts of the house, with area rugs.

I bake and cook often on porcelain textured tile and it feels good on my feet and back. The marble tile in my bathroom would be horrible to cook on for hours. I don't know if I have too much polish on my wooden floors, but I slide and so do my guests when they take their shoes off. I now prefer people to keep their shoes on or I'll give them socks with rubber resistance on the bottom.

Standing for long periods on either types of hard floor surfaces is bad for the health (aches coldness from the floor etc). I have double layer thick mats for standing in the kitchen.

Standing for long periods on either types of hard floor surfaces is bad for the health (aches coldness from the floor etc). I have double layer thick mats for standing in the kitchen.
my back does get tired if I stand for long periods on any surface
but I guess my cooking isn't that involved because we have tile in our kitchen now and I don't have a problem cooking or doing dishes on it

my back does get tired if I stand for long periods on any surface
but I guess my cooking isn't that involved because we have tile in our kitchen now and I don't have a problem cooking or doing dishes on it

You may or may not feel the impact immediately but as u age those impact that's taken place can catch up. A lot of health issues creep up to be noticeable when we are older.

We did carpet in the bedrooms when we got new flooring and I hate it. I wish I would have done wood throughout the whole house. It's only been 2 years and it already looks like it needs to be replaced. Getting them professionally cleaned only makes them look nice for about a month.

We did carpet in the bedrooms when we got new flooring and I hate it. I wish I would have done wood throughout the whole house. It's only been 2 years and it already looks like it needs to be replaced. Getting them professionally cleaned only makes them look nice for about a month.
I'm thinking that way too. We hate moving the furniture around for the carpet cleaners too. I think wood would stay looking nice hopefully forever.

We're considering two right now - a maple that has a reddish tone and a birch that's lighter. The darker one isn't super dark but I'm afraid it will still show dust more than the birch. We selected the birch first but then when I brought home the sample of the maple we liked that one better. These photos don't give the whole picture but if anyone has an opinion between the two, I'd appreciate it.

first pic is birch, bottom one maple

Attachments

• palisades birch.jpg
    palisades birch.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 328
  • englishpub_amberale_ame-em19004.jpg
    englishpub_amberale_ame-em19004.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 362
I'm thinking that way too. We hate moving the furniture around for the carpet cleaners too. I think wood would stay looking nice hopefully forever.

We're considering two right now - a maple that has a reddish tone and a birch that's lighter. The darker one isn't super dark but I'm afraid it will still show dust more than the birch. We selected the birch first but then when I brought home the sample of the maple we liked that one better. These photos don't give the whole picture but if anyone has an opinion between the two, I'd appreciate it.

first pic is birch, bottom one maple

I prefer lighter colors oak like if that's a color. (Not too light as if it's not coated). Darker colors to me is more of and antique look overall.

only you can choose your color. i wish i'd gone lighter, i chose a teak wide plank 2 years ago.

i have been playing mind games with myself because it seems redder than i remember picking out. i lifted up my rug to clean recently and realized it has changed color, my husband can't really tell...but i know that i picked a floor that didn't have any reddish tones. bugs me so much.

We removed all the carpets and refinished the wood floors when we moved into our home. I far prefer the look and feel of wood floors with area rugs. The pics Swanky posted are great, and we have done some similar things in some rooms. For example, we have an area rug in the bedroom that goes under the edge of the bed so when we get up we step on the rug. We have a sectional in the living room with a round rug that goes under the inside corner of the sofa so the entire inside of the sectional is "carpeted" with a rounded edge. It is infinitely easier to remove these area rugs and clean them periodically (or replace them if need be) and to clean the wood floors underneath than it is to maintain and keep carpeting clean.

I think you all talked me into adding to my wood floors upstairs.

Half of my upstairs already has the hardwood floors, and if I can do it myself, it may only be about $1000 more than replacing the carpet. I would only have to buy one more rug. (I'm not fond of rugs, but I seem to love the outdoor rugs I got from frontgate.)

Also I would not have to match the upstairs carpet to the downstairs carpet after I put wood treads on the stairs. I may even be able to avoid the cost of replacing the downstairs carpet since it is not frequently used.

Anyway, Thanks!