Why so few wear earrings these days?

pomeline

Jul 18, 2015
Maybe this is mostly a European thing anyways, the habit of having your ears pierced and wearing earrings (most of my American cousins do not have their ears pierced to my great surprise) but I'm used to people wearing earrings. I got mine when I was a teen and I remember my friends and relatives all wearing earrings regularly. Now when I look at my old school mates and everyone's grownup kids and teens, very few wear earrings. Some never got their ears pierced, some have stopped wearing earrings so they can't anymore (no piercings anymore). Why? Is this a trend now? Is it not "cool" to wear jewellery?

I'm the odd one out, the one who loves jewellery of all sizes and wears it every day. I have tons of earrings of various kinds and I keep switching them according to how I feel and the occasion. I just think it's sort of boring to see all these naked earlobes around. Not only that, but when you get older, you start losing colour meaning a lot of contrast disappears from your face and hair, you'd think jewellery would be one way to bring some back. And it doesn't need to be expensive.
It has come to a point where when I think about it, only the women in my family and in my husband's family wear earrings, like we're some sort of a weird jewellery wearing clan. :lol:

Hmm, I live between Europe and the US (based in Paris with a home in the States), and *everyone* I know on both sides of the pond who is over the age of 12 (or maybe 9 these days) has pierced ears. If anything I'd say the Europeans go a bit lighter on the jewelry for everyday (they will have multiple piercings but just wear simple earrings) whereas Americans often have full-on "curated ears" with multiple filled piercings (ETA: younger teens and tweens will be lighter on the jewelry). I noticed I don't use all my piercings as much in Europe, and have to pay attention so the cartilage ones don't close.

I literally can't think of anyone I know who doesn't have pierced ears, except older or more conservative men. Maybe it's a city thing? Or East Coast?

Hmm, I live between Europe and the US (based in Paris with a home in the States), and *everyone* I know on both sides of the pond who is over the age of 12 (or maybe 9 these days) has pierced ears. If anything I'd say the Europeans go a bit lighter on the jewelry for everyday (they will have multiple piercings but just wear simple earrings) whereas Americans often have full-on "curated ears" with multiple filled piercings (ETA: younger teens and tweens will be lighter on the jewelry). I noticed I don't use all my piercings as much in Europe, and have to pay attention so the cartilage ones don't close.

I literally can't think of anyone I know who doesn't have pierced ears, except older or more conservative men. Maybe it's a city thing? Or East Coast?

Agreed, same here in TX. Not only does it seem that everyone wears earrings daily, a large number wear many daily (aka curated ear)
I wear a pair daily, usually diamond studs.

I’m in the US and wouldn’t say earrings are uncommon, but don’t wear them often myself. I prefer jewelry I can see while wearing, like rings or bracelets, but will wear earrings when I feel the outfit needs it.

I’m in the U.S. and see earrings worn by the majority, I’d say. I wear earrings EVERY day…I usually switch between a few “boring” hoops, but the only times I don’t wear them is if I am having surgery, which is luckily a rarity!

For me, it started during the late pandemic era. At work we didn't have to wear a mask if we were sitting at our desk with no one around. Someone walked up, put on the mask; they left, take it off. Walk away from the desk, put on a mask; get back to the desk, take it off. It was a pain to take the mask on and off when it would catch on earrings, so I stopped wearing them. Once masks were gone I started wearing earrings more, but just never got back to the level I was at pre-pandemic.

I wear earrings daily. One piercing in each ear, usually diamonds or pearls, studs or small hoops that hug the ear. I don’t wear much other jewellery, sometimes a necklace, but I’m not keen on having things on my hands so rarely wear rings. I’m in the UK.

Reactions: americandreaming
For me, it started during the late pandemic era. At work we didn't have to wear a mask if we were sitting at our desk with no one around. Someone walked up, put on the mask; they left, take it off. Walk away from the desk, put on a mask; get back to the desk, take it off. It was a pain to take the mask on and off when it would catch on earrings, so I stopped wearing them. Once masks were gone I started wearing earrings more, but just never got back to the level I was at pre-pandemic.
I almost lost a diamond earring taking a mask on and off....fortunately I found it. had dropped into my bra. Unfortunately the platinum back got lost.
I wear earrings most of the time. not at home and lately not when I'm just running to the grocery store but if I'm going anywhere socially always.
I think most people wear them around here but I don't pay much attention.

Last edited:
I developed a keloid from my piercing, so I stopped wearing earrings and the holes closed up. No earrings for me, though if I could, I'd wear simple studs or hoops.