Why so few wear earrings these days?

I feel naked without earrings. After losing several studs thanks to masks (thankfully I eventually found them all), I took to wearing tiny CZ studs during the pandemic and beyond. It's only been in the last few weeks that most of the places I frequent have stopped masking. So now I'm finally back to wearing real earrings. Woo-hoo!

I have noticed that as I've aged my earlobes have shrunk and the piercing holes have drifted downward. I've considered getting second piercings. But I don't like the look of piercing holes without anything in them, which would occasionally be the case.

I LOVE earrings! Of all types. I probably have hundreds. I rotate through them and wear different ones every day.

I’m also in the UK and didn’t wear earrings for nearly a decade as after really really wanting my ears pierced, I just stopped caring for jewellery much. I even got second piercings but they healed.

I’m now the same and wear diamond/pearl studs or huggies daily. I’m firmly back to loving wearing earrings and looking to add to my collection :biggrin:
Feeling sad about my second piercings that got away… considering getting them repierced.
I’m Canadian and have had my ears pierced since I was 5. I had been bugging my mum to get mine pierced and found $5 and my uncle actually took me to get it done. That was over 50 years ago and rarely a few days goes by that I don’t wear earrings. I’d rather not wear makeup than leave home without earrings. As much as I like other jewellery, earrings have always been my first love. I really wanted to wear my mum’s amethyst studs and that’s what started it all.
Ooo I want amethyst studs!!!

Reactions: girlfriday17
I only had my ears re-pierced late last year, after a 25+ year hiatus. My little sister used to pull on my ears and they kept bleeding and getting infected. I got fed up and told mum I was taking them out.

Since I had my ears re-pierced, I am never without. I think this also can be attributed to having more appreciation for jewellery as I have gotten older.

Reactions: americandreaming
I have never noticed how many people where I live wear earrings regularly or not. I will pay more attention now!

I do know at least some people wear earrings, because I will notice if someone is wearing hoops, dangles or studs. It is the number of people wearing earrings or not wearing earrings that I have not paid attention to at all.

I generally wear earrings every day, but occasionally I will forget to put them in. Now I mostly wear diamond studs, pearl studs, small gold hoops or once in awhile maybe a little pair of turquoise studs, a huggie or a small gold ball earring. I have a lot of other earrings, but I tend to collect those and not wear them.:P

During the worst of the pandemic, when masks were required most places, I just wore diamond studs with screw backs. My jeweler really tried to talk me out of screw backs on my diamond earrings, but I feel more secure with the screw backs. I have had other settings and settled on what I felt most secure with in the end.

A side note, I love pearls, but when I was wearing real pearl earrings, I would frequently lose one, then have to replace it with another pair. I finally got tired of this and started buying the pearls on cards from Target or Walmart. I still lose them frequently, but I have whole card of "pearls" in my drawer, so I just grab another one, put it on and problem solved. My two pair of nice pearls stay in the safe, except for special occasions and then I spend a good part of that time touching my ears to be sure they are still there. :lol:

I already am checking out handbags when I am out and about, now I will try to notice who is wearing earrings and who is not wearing them!

I almost lost a diamond earring taking a mask on and off....fortunately I found it. had dropped into my bra. Unfortunately the platinum back got lost.
I wear earrings most of the time. not at home and lately not when I'm just running to the grocery store but if I'm going anywhere socially always.
I think most people wear them around here but I don't pay much attention.
I always lose an earring!

I wear the same pair of earrings everyday—my dangling diamond earrings that I just love. They're dainty and simple, but enough to show that I'm wearing earrings. Otherwise, I don't change it up at all. I just like simple earrings (completely different than what I used to wear in the 80's lol).