Why so few wear earrings these days?

Most people I know wear earrings. I wear studs and leave them in..or more of an ear hugger hoop. I don't see many dangle styles, as it's not really a current trend.

Reactions: Sferics
I see everyone around me wearing earrings. Younger women with multiple piercings and older women with just one per ear. We latinas are very image conscious and don’t know anyone who goes out without earrings! They can be real or costume but earrings are a must. I can go without any jewelry except earrings. Even my friend who doesn’t wear makeup or care about clothes wears them.

I see everyone around me wearing earrings. Younger women with multiple piercings and older women with just one per ear. We latinas are very image conscious and don’t know anyone who goes out without earrings! They can be real or costume but earrings are a must. I can go without any jewelry except earrings. Even my friend who doesn’t wear makeup or care about clothes wears them.
Haha - I can relate to your friend. I'm at home with no makeup and wearing shorts and a tee with no jewelry except earrings. Unless I'm dead I have on earrings. I do wear other jewelry when I go out.

Reactions: Melocoton and Pevi
I wear earrings daily. One piercing in each ear, usually diamonds or pearls, studs or small hoops that hug the ear. I don’t wear much other jewellery, sometimes a necklace, but I’m not keen on having things on my hands so rarely wear rings. I’m in the UK.
I’m also in the UK and didn’t wear earrings for nearly a decade as after really really wanting my ears pierced, I just stopped caring for jewellery much. I even got second piercings but they healed.

I’m now the same and wear diamond/pearl studs or huggies daily. I’m firmly back to loving wearing earrings and looking to add to my collection :biggrin:

Reactions: Evia
I think some indeed just stopped wearing earrings during Covid. I've never gotten to the whole "tiny earrings" trend as I've never really liked studs (newsflash: apparently big, chunky hoops are in this summer again as is big jewellery in general; the minimalism trend is going away). I feel like my ears hurt after wearing them. It's always been hoops that I've liked best, maybe because they feel comfortable. I had a grandma who was of the mindset that the bigger the hoops, the prettier. She would never have understood why some would not like it. But then, she did always love shiny things.

People around me here in Ireland seem to look at me funny because I like dangly earrings and occasionally wear big hoops too. Well, not that big; my usual ones are somewhere between 0.8 inches to 1 inch, the ones I really love are 1.58" chunky silver hoops and when I really feel festive, it's the 2 inch hoops. And then there's the gypsy ones I looooooove, they're 1.38" and I know my grandma would love them. I also love gemstone earrings, all kinds of filigree stuff... historical jewellery is lovely too. I have some lovely Nordic and Slavic stuff to reflect that part of my heritage.

Lately though I've become self-conscious about my lobes. I feel like the piercing should be higher up. When my mom took me to have my ears pierced at 15, they basically just shot through the lobes with some sort of a stapler thing. And now that I've worn earrings for years and years and a little bit over 40, I feel like my lobes are turning old. Like I mean wrinkles. I swear there's a crease forming where the piercing is (it's worse in one ear) and yesterday night I kept myself up reading about fillers, rubbing wrinkle cream on my lobes and then I ended up reading about how the crease can mean you're prone to heart issues and will die of a stroke. :shocked: Ok, so there's wasn't exactly consensus among doctors on it and I am pretty sure it's due to earrings (I used to wear pretty thick ones at one point for years when I was into that thing where you put thicker and thicker titanium ball hoops in, I didn't go very thick but wore 14 gauge at one point) but... Imagine not being able to sleep and then staring those creases in your ears in horror...

I'm celebrating the 25th anniversary of our engagement today so I feel like wearing something special tonight. But feeling like I have granny lobes now... :facepalm:

I almost lost a diamond earring taking a mask on and off....fortunately I found it. had dropped into my bra. Unfortunately the platinum back got lost.
I wear earrings most of the time. not at home and lately not when I'm just running to the grocery store but if I'm going anywhere socially always.
I think most people wear them around here but I don't pay much attention.

Omg, the exact same thing happened to me! I too almost lost a diamond and ended up losing the platinum back as well. :sad:

I really got into wearing closed hoop earrings or huggie hoop earrings during the pandemic (and towards the end of the pandemic) to reduce the loss of stud earrings or earrings with non-screw backings.

Besides that, I have always been into earrings. I have 2 cartilage piercings and multiple lobe piercings. But I also realized that I was really lazy about switching earrings out or changing them up.
I made more of an effort after the pandemic and have been enjoying my earrings a lot more (and justifying my earring purchases lol).

However, I do take breaks on the weekend or sometimes during a workday so that my piercing holes don't stretch out too much. I used to sleep with a lot of my piercings in and they would start to stretch out the holes, especially in my lobes. When I take breaks, they'll shrink a little.

Reactions: etudes
Omg, the exact same thing happened to me! I too almost lost a diamond and ended up losing the platinum back as well. :sad:

I really got into wearing closed hoop earrings or huggie hoop earrings during the pandemic (and towards the end of the pandemic) to reduce the loss of stud earrings or earrings with non-screw backings.

Besides that, I have always been into earrings. I have 2 cartilage piercings and multiple lobe piercings. But I also realized that I was really lazy about switching earrings out or changing them up.
I made more of an effort after the pandemic and have been enjoying my earrings a lot more (and justifying my earring purchases lol).

However, I do take breaks on the weekend or sometimes during a workday so that my piercing holes don't stretch out too much. I used to sleep with a lot of my piercings in and they would start to stretch out the holes, especially in my lobes. When I take breaks, they'll shrink a little.
I found out just a little tiny earring back in platinum cost quite a bit. I had nice jumbo backs. fortunately I had an extra set of gold ones so just used one of them rather than paying whatever it was for the platinum one (I think $70)

Reactions: lill_canele
I think some indeed just stopped wearing earrings during Covid. I've never gotten to the whole "tiny earrings" trend as I've never really liked studs (newsflash: apparently big, chunky hoops are in this summer again as is big jewellery in general; the minimalism trend is going away). I feel like my ears hurt after wearing them. It's always been hoops that I've liked best, maybe because they feel comfortable. I had a grandma who was of the mindset that the bigger the hoops, the prettier. She would never have understood why some would not like it. But then, she did always love shiny things.

People around me here in Ireland seem to look at me funny because I like dangly earrings and occasionally wear big hoops too. Well, not that big; my usual ones are somewhere between 0.8 inches to 1 inch, the ones I really love are 1.58" chunky silver hoops and when I really feel festive, it's the 2 inch hoops. And then there's the gypsy ones I looooooove, they're 1.38" and I know my grandma would love them. I also love gemstone earrings, all kinds of filigree stuff... historical jewellery is lovely too. I have some lovely Nordic and Slavic stuff to reflect that part of my heritage.

Lately though I've become self-conscious about my lobes. I feel like the piercing should be higher up. When my mom took me to have my ears pierced at 15, they basically just shot through the lobes with some sort of a stapler thing. And now that I've worn earrings for years and years and a little bit over 40, I feel like my lobes are turning old. Like I mean wrinkles. I swear there's a crease forming where the piercing is (it's worse in one ear) and yesterday night I kept myself up reading about fillers, rubbing wrinkle cream on my lobes and then I ended up reading about how the crease can mean you're prone to heart issues and will die of a stroke. :shocked: Ok, so there's wasn't exactly consensus among doctors on it and I am pretty sure it's due to earrings (I used to wear pretty thick ones at one point for years when I was into that thing where you put thicker and thicker titanium ball hoops in, I didn't go very thick but wore 14 gauge at one point) but... Imagine not being able to sleep and then staring those creases in your ears in horror...

I'm celebrating the 25th anniversary of our engagement today so I feel like wearing something special tonight. But feeling like I have granny lobes now... :facepalm:
The same thing has happened to my lobes! One has a crease on it. I’m 42 and already planning on having filler in my earlobe to make it look younger again in the next few years. My ears look bad if I’m not wearing earrings. I have thin earlobes and I used to wear heavy earrings, which I don’t wear any more. Studs hide the streching very well and I don’t wear heavy hoops.

The same thing has happened to my lobes! One has a crease on it. I’m 42 and already planning on having filler in my earlobe to make it look younger again in the next few years. My ears look bad if I’m not wearing earrings. I have thin earlobes and I used to wear heavy earrings, which I don’t wear any more. Studs hide the streching very well and I don’t wear heavy hoops.
I just got a lovely pair of new huggie hoops, not very big but wide, but I guess they are too much for my ears now too as the crease appears after a while of wearing them. I tried studs but they left a dent in my ears (which luckily disappeared in a few minutes). When I'm not wearing anything, it seems the lobes look normal with perhaps just a tiny hint of a crease.

I am considering leaving my ears without earrings for a while to let them rest (even if I feel naked and boring). I'm thinking if they disappear during that time, I might just get some fillers and have them pierced again. I always felt like the piercing should be further away from my cheek and higher up from the edge of the lobe. Maybe they were originally but as I grew up and got older, they're not where they're supposed to be.

I just don't feel like not wearing earrings though... Maybe I'll have to get used to small and light ones. Another thing I'm considering is maybe just adding new piercings next to the old ones but not sure that is a good idea.

Reactions: etudes
I lived my entire life in NYC and I have had two piercings in each ear since 1971 when I was legal age to get piercings without parental permission (I'm turning 68 this year). I can't remember a day where I did not wear earrings in both ears, except when I needed head X-rays or major surgery. My collection of 18k earrings, with stones and without, has grown out of control and doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime in the near future. No matter my weight...my earrings always fit!!!

My daughter also has two piercings in each ear (she had an upper helix piercing also, but it got infected so it was removed and never opened again), and my granddaughter (10) wears diamond huggies that she refuses to take out except to clean the piercings and earrings themselves.

I’m Canadian and have had my ears pierced since I was 5. I had been bugging my mum to get mine pierced and found $5 and my uncle actually took me to get it done. That was over 50 years ago and rarely a few days goes by that I don’t wear earrings. I’d rather not wear makeup than leave home without earrings. As much as I like other jewellery, earrings have always been my first love. I really wanted to wear my mum’s amethyst studs and that’s what started it all.