Why is BV STILL so under the radar?!

I agree with much of what's already been said.

To me, BV is still so under the radar, because it is almost the complete opposite of what most other handbag designers are creating nowadays. A BV bag isn't flashy or crazy looking. There is usually minimal hardware. The designs don't go out of style overnight. Instead, it is tasteful and well made, using quality materials. Often, BV is very practical and functional and can be used in almost any situation. It doesn't make a statement and shout for attention. It blends in and yet, it will be greatly admired by those familiar with BV. Unlike some other brands or styles out there, a BV bag rarely ever looks awkward or out of place when being used.

Also, there is little advertising. There isn't any particular celebrity which has been broadly associated with their bags. Although, I love seeing the Celebrities thread. There is something about seeing a person who can choose to use almost anything, opt for the same BV over and over again. Because it just works for them and is a comfortable luxury. Plus, BV is not available at every single store or website for purchase, so it is less visible to most consumers.

I have always been drawn to BV, mainly because of the Intrecciato and the beautiful leathers. To me, that is the signature of BV and there is no need for logos of any kind. For instance, some of us use as our avatar, a picture of part of our BV bag or SLG. If you see even just a smidgen of the Intrecciato, you know what it is you're looking at. No need to see the entire bag to identify what it is. I can understand, that when compared to other current bag designs, BV may seem "boring". (But I don't see how that is possible, especially with some of the fabulous and beautiful colors.) Although, they are coming out with some edgier designs which I like, that aren't entirely woven. People unfamiliar with BV may pass on it, thinking it is too conservative or just another woven bag. Again, it isn't out to purposely grab attention. But, if they get around to handling the leather and examining the bag or SLG, they may easily change their opinion. For those who don't get around to it, they just don't know what they are missing out on.

I really don't like attention and therefore get quite embarrassed when someone actually comments on my BVs and therefore knows what I spend on them... but luckily here in Vancouver almost no one knows BV and therefore I can just enjoy them without drawing attention to myself. The only three people who have ever commented on my bags (and know what they are) are men, too!

I should also add that I am around people every day who do carry other luxury brands - but they really don't know BV at all. And I am happy to keep it that way!

Totally, completely agree ...
BV is basically gorgeous, perfect, minimalism -- and you have to pay a pretty penny to get it -- but i prefer people not know how much i'm willing to spend on a handbag (especially in a recession).
I'm in it for the quality , the longevity , & my aesthetic ideal. But "In Your Face" luxury really turns me off.

This is such an interesting discussion to read - i love all the varied viewpoints!

I thought about this question too. BV is very understated.

Also i think the target is more sophisticated and perhaps a weeeeee bit mature (i mean that in a good way). Not carried by celebs like Nicole Richie, paris hilton, vanessa hudgens, olsen sisters... (at least not that i know). When i was younger i felt a bit alienated from BV because i couldn't identify with the philosophy and craftsmanship. I looked for brands that had very crazy colors, more edgy...

But now i want to be more elegant without being too "new money". And i'm hooked on BV

I have my BV's for when I want to be elegant and low key...under the radar. I don't always want to be that way so I also love Jimmy Choo, Chanel, and Prada for when I want to flash a little. We all have our reasons for loving BV...

I think part of it is the pricepoint. YOu can get an LV for around $1000 depending on what you get but there aren't a lot of options in that price point for BV.

I guess I am getting old because I used to buy Bal's and now I prefer BV. I generally hate logos but I have one LV. I just love it because it is indestructible. I can take it to jazzercise. I wouldn't take a BV to Jazzercise. I am a SAHM, btw. :smile:

I just saw BVs in NM over the weekend while I was on vacation. The leather was awesome! There was an Hermes mini boutique in there as well. I was not that impressed and definitely not for the astronomical price tags! BV was divine.

I don't think it's a question of 'catching on' - I think it's a question of who their targeted market is. The level of luxury that BV imbues is not really an easily-marketable-level. That height of luxury finds its own customers, if that makes sense. And those ads are not for the SAHM or the housewife on Smith Street in a small town in Arkansas or Oklahoma.

And seriously, I do NOT hang out, in the real world, with people who have that kind of luxury at their fingertips; not because I'm some kind of reverse-snob, but that I don't know anybody in that atmosphere. :biggrin: That's what I like about BV/tPF - here, we're all on the same playing field - our love of bags, and in particular, Bottega Veneta.

Hey! I want one and I'm a SAHM. ;)

I love that BV is under the radar. I spotted this post because I'm considering buying one for exactly that reason. I also love Balenciaga because it's understated (where I live!) and quality. I have one Fendi bag, and avoid using it too much because I hate the attention. It's my one exception, because the bag is gorgeous.

I feel like BV has a very classic look, never gets old, and the richness of the colors is incredible. I can't stand when women (or men for that matter) say if they're going to spend that kind of money they want everyone to know what it is. Once of the reasons I'll never spend money on LV or Chanel is because they're obnoxious and headed towards that direction of being tasteless. I don't mean to offend any fans, those brands are still iconic and always will be. I just hate people staring, and that whole, Look at me I spent $2000 on my bag thing that lots of women seem to do. I do love luxury but I don't need to make it obvious! It's to pamper myself and because I appreciate beautiful workmanship.
I really wish other high end designers would take the 'quieter' road, then again it wouldn't make designers like BV so special .

Last edited:
It also depends on where you live too. In most parts of Asia, I see it EVERYWHERE. Especially in Hong Kong. I think it's more popular in Europe too.

BV being under the radar..thats one of the reasons I am loyal to this brand.. don't know if I'll look at it the same way if it gets popular..

BV has heavily invested in Asia. The boutiques are quite impressive in Japan and Taiwan as well. The Asians have made it more ubiquitous. When they opened a boutique in the airport terminal, you know it's getting popular!

I'm glad it's still under the radar on the west coast :cool:

I also think that that's exactly what bv and their admirers are going for. I think that people love bv precisely bc they don't want everyone and their mom to recognize or in the case of lv, to have the exact same purse. If everyone started carrying or even recognizing bv's, I don't know that the brand would hold the same appeal for me...

...because for the prices that good quality bags are these days I don't want to grow sick of a bag so it either has to strike a chord with me personally or be totally clasic, and also for that kind of price I have to believe it is good quality and will actually look and act better the more it's used.

Hey ladies -
Maybe because I live in a big city, I see BV all the time. As you can see, i'm a big LV fan. However, I would love a BV hobo. I actually think that the BV signature intrecciato weave does not go under the radar, IMO.

While I was never a BV fan, I really appreciated the woven concept--the quality was superb, the colors incredible (the BVs got fondled along with the Chloes, Miu Mius, Bals, etc. during my trips to NM).

What I wanted was a big hobo with NO hardware and I read a thread on TPF (while looking for some guidance) that mentioned the Cervo hobo. So I drove to NMs during my lunch and prowled all over the handbags section (the SAs there are so nice) and finally found the BVs and the Cervo hobo and fell in love. I was lucky enough to find a Caramel one (I think of it as butterscotch pudding) for sale from an on-line seller and while I get compliments galore, no one knows what it is or what I paid and that's the way I like it.

I also carry Bals and since I seem to live in the "Land of Coach," no one knows what those are either but they also get the compliments.

If you knew me you would know I am not an under-the-radar kind of gal, but I love that my bags are. :graucho: