Why do you buy Hermes?

Love love love the quality of the leather and the fact that the Ks and Bs are handmade. I appreciate the exclusivity too, because the handbag is my most important accessory and I have never wanted to carry something other people carry. The design is beautiful and I can always upgrade so I hope to buy my first exotic H this year. I also like the positive response I get whenever I carry an H bag. It makes me smile and happy :smile: I will enjoy these bags for years and when my nieces inherit my collection they will remember me and how I introduced them to the world of H.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I am relatively new to Hermes. I own 1 scarf, 3 twillies, a CDC, a KDT, a Hapi bracelet, a black box Trim, a Massai and an all leather Garden Party. Before my 1st H purchase, my most expensive bag was Coach. I am not drawn to the Birkins and Kellys. I love the more "under the radar" bags and just the amazing quality of the leather and hardware. It was the pics of the amazing members here that drew me to H. While I like other brands, I think my H obsession is here to stay!

I like this thread!

I am a late 40s lady working in financial district in Asia. I am not in super high position but this job requires my work attire to be presentable. I am not a fashion fiesta either so I just regularly shop from Zara, Maxmara....etc to make sure I am not out of fashion and I believe that a decent handbag is necessary, so I started to buy designer label handbags with average USD2K-3K each. As you guys know fashion style won't last more 1-2 years, so I bought another lot of handbags again and repeat the same every 1.5 years.

One day when I did my wardrobe cleaning I added up the value I spent for designers handbags since I started this job, I couldn't believe the total value I spent but the most annoying was the current value of my used bags were like USD300 each to resellers. So last year I looked into this matter seriously starting lots of internet searching, finally I decided to focus on Hermes which I believe this brands holds the value the best.

I am not obsessed with all Hermes bag styles but there are 2-3 good styles with great leather quality and perfectly fits my lifestyle. I am glad to have found them and the 7 Hermes bags I own are good enough to cover my work/leisure time. I am happily living with them everyday.

Thank you for letting me share and all tpf members you helped me a lot in Hermes bag searching, appreciate. :smile:

Last edited:
I started my H journey 10 yrs ago with a twilly. I then moved on to 90cm scarves, then leather bracelets, then enamel bracelets etc.. It has just been in the past 5 years that I started buying bags. I am a neutral girl so the silks and the bracelets have been my go to for pops of color.

I love that H has something for everyone and that only those in the know know - most everything is under the radar (maybe except the B/K/Cs). I buy it for the amazing quality and the history.

My style is very neutral and classic, love mixing iconic pieces with contempory ones. I buy different products from Hermès, not only bags and scarves. The heritage, design and craftmanship appeals to me. Especially when shopping at FSH I enjoy talking about the products with SAs that share my passion. I’m always eager to learn more about these luxurious items. Hermès has become a dear hobby, not only things to shop.

When thinking about the leather goods, I love the quality, exclusivity (special older bags, leathers like box and barenia) and ”bag spa” meaning my Hermès bags can be repaired and cleaned if necessary. I confess I never want to carry the same bag as someone else so for me Hermès has been already for some years the only bag brand I like and buy. But I’ve found other beautiful items too and this brand is in constant evolution, which I enjoy. I do like my other brands but I don’t buy more, because I already have covered my basics.

may not be the right thread to post this but recently I've come to realise that I have wayyy too much stuff (fashion, clothes and shoes in particular) and that while I truly enjoy everything the pieces I REALLY love (not just to wear but touch, look at, admire) and just gravitate to most are all the items I bought at Hermes over the years (couple of bags, lots of homeware, scarves), so that this year I've decided to buy only Hermes and not go anywhere else, i.e. less stuff and only quality. no more high street, other designers and items I might only wear once because they are toooo fashion. my closet needs a breather, and I feel like over the years I got more conscious about what I really shouldn't spend more money on and what really is worth it and will enjoy for years to come

Sounds like your answer fits perfectly do the initial OP:
So...my question is, do you love this brand and buy it Hermes because you love the styles and the quality? Do you buy it because you believe you deserve only the finest and most expensive there is, even where the most basic items are involved? Do you buy it to impress your friends, get better tables in restaurants, better service in stores? Do you buy it to fill a hole in your life? Over the years, we've had a few MAJOR buyers on tpf, and when they finally had children, they disappeared completely. Do you buy Hermes because it's the "hot" brand today and you like to always have the hottest, latest things? Do you buy tons of Hermes because you like LOTS of change and variety in your life?

There are no "right" or "wrong" answers, but there are perhaps different value systems in play here. I'm genuinely curious why tpf members buy Hermes and buy it the way they do. Let's hear from you all!

Reactions: Hermes Zen