Why do you buy Hermes?

Of course I love the designs...and the quality is top notch. But you can find nice designs & amazing quality from other designers as well, so that's not what makes me buy more & more from Hermes (these days, I go to Hermes almost exclusively for bags, accessories, belts, scarves...). No, for me the main reason I love Hermes so much and am so devoted is because their stuff is fun to PLAY with!!!! PLAYTIME WITH HERMES is the BEST...twisting different Twillys around the handles if the bags, accessorizing my bags with charms, finding new ways to wear my scarf rings/scarves, mixing and matching belt straps and buckles...I could go on. Hermes products just lend themselves to hours & hours of very satisfying playing-- this is something you just don't get with most other designers.:biggrin:

Hello everyone, I'm new.

My story begins with my mother, and her aspirations of fashion stardom. Unfortunately her dreams were shattered when the academy she was to study at, was destroyed in bombing. Although she never gained the opportunity to study fashion properly, she constantly designed and created clothing right up until her death.

She taught me to love all things elegant, high quality, and well designed - unfortunately these things also come with a price tag.

My first experience of Hermes was as a young teenager who would write to the various fashion and fragrance houses requesting samples. I recall receiving a box filled with amazing fragrances Amazone, Caleche, Bel Ami etc. I was so blown away.

I must admit I also received items from Ferragamo, Chanel, and so on.

As I grew up I wasn't certain about what I wanted to do, eventually ending up as a technical consultant and having the opportunity to work in the major cities in Europe.

My first purchase was the H hour in the FSH store when it was still priced in francs. This was just after it came out. After three changes of strap, and several battery changes I'm wearing it today.

I've had a now thankfully ex manager ask me when I was going to change my 'old' watch and comment loudly on how she would rather wear a Swatch because she had nothing to prove... That's fine, I don't have anything to prove either and my personal belief is that I buy quality over quantity and so far I have been proven right.

My collection of Hermes goodies includes a vibrato Cabana in brown, an ancient Martine convertible bag, a Herbag, about a dozen scarves, an Ulysse notebook, and various pieces of bijou fantasie. Oh and almost forgetting my doits du fees shirt in blue. Oh, and the shoes... Our newly adopted cat (he's not designer and he adopted us) is cuddling the Avalon blanket draped over the sofa. I have a moth-eaten rog a barre blanket sitting in the car. These things are beautiful and to be used; in fact my husband used one of my scarves as a sling when he broke his hand. There is no use being overly precious about these things.

I adore Hermes clothing but sadly genetics and illness have robbed me of the perfect figure so I can only really enjoy the accessories and bags. I tend to prefer a minimalist style, and so the collections I've seen have just been my absolute ideal, and if I could just get down to a sensible size... However there is always the sewing machine.

As someone who's grown up with the brand, I don't think I could tear myself away, and it isn't about bragging, or showing I have spent x amount of money on a single hand bag; it's about the fact that it has been hand made by someone who has spent years learning their craft and loving their work.

That is what makes Hermes special and completely enchanting.

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing. :flowers:

I just bought my first Hermes - a vintage Kelly. I'm still getting over the guilt of owning something so precious that's really just for carrying stuff, but I have wanted a Kelly style bag since I was a little girl. It was a love I thought I had to hide because my mother taught me that anything feminine was a sign of weakness - that only stupid, vapid girls liked girly accessories. And I believed that! So every time I daydreamed about being Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn, I felt guilty afterwards. Like I was letting down intelligent women everywhere and catering to the will of oppressive males. It's so crazy I have to laugh when I think about it. Anyway, not to get all serious on a forum about purses - the point is, I've only relatively recently, since turning 30, accepted that I can totally be a girly girl, and it doesn't say one whit about my worth or the value of my contributions to society. And, frankly, a real Hermes is work of art. I don't know that I can ever bring myself to own more than one, and no one in my current town would care about it even if they knew what it was - but it's beautiful, and I'm not too old to pretend I'm Grace Kelly, and that's all that counts to me. :smile:

Reactions: xceleritas
Great thread! For me, it's the love of delicious Hermes leather and craftsmanship. I'm trying to build up my collection with different types of leather and styles. It's not just Hermes that I do this with as I appreciate other brands as well - the one unifying factor is that the leather quality has to be there.

It certainly is not for status, exclusivity or recognition as I like under the radar, non-branded in your face type of bags. More importantly, my latest purchase of a pre-loved Bolide makes me happy. Usually I like new stuff but it speaks volumes when something that is used and restored can be such a thing of beauty - I just stop and stare at it in wonder. This is Hermes - simply beautiful!:love:

If you have an issue with a post, please report it. Just a general reminder that we ask that posters treat everyone with respect, regardless of their opinion.

Thanks, and back to topic, please.

Many of us who buy Hermes do so because the quality is unsurpassed
& we know our items will last a lifetime as well as being passed on to
the next generation.

And do agree it is a quiet luxury.. Just enjoy your H items, its only
important as to how we feel about it not anyone else. IYKWIM...

I just bought my first Hermes - a vintage Kelly. I'm still getting over the guilt of owning something so precious that's really just for carrying stuff, but I have wanted a Kelly style bag since I was a little girl. It was a love I thought I had to hide because my mother taught me that anything feminine was a sign of weakness - that only stupid, vapid girls liked girly accessories. And I believed that! So every time I daydreamed about being Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn, I felt guilty afterwards. Like I was letting down intelligent women everywhere and catering to the will of oppressive males. It's so crazy I have to laugh when I think about it. Anyway, not to get all serious on a forum about purses - the point is, I've only relatively recently, since turning 30, accepted that I can totally be a girly girl, and it doesn't say one whit about my worth or the value of my contributions to society. And, frankly, a real Hermes is work of art. I don't know that I can ever bring myself to own more than one, and no one in my current town would care about it even if they knew what it was - but it's beautiful, and I'm not too old to pretend I'm Grace Kelly, and that's all that counts to me. :smile:
I love your post! Thank you for sharing!

The Kelly, IMO is one of the chicest bags to own.. look at the pedigree!!

Glad you have chosen this bag to celebrate a wonderful milestone in
your life & a toast to you.. Have all the girly things that you can have
in your life & celebrate your girliness always!!

I recognize this... Thank you so much for sharing! Gorgeous things like H are to be enjoyed, but in the end it's just things and life is never about the outside or what we wear, and those does not say so much about who we are - you are not stupid or shallow just because you enjoy something beautiful as long as you remember what's really important in life. You can be both strong, intellegent and interested in H ;) Whish you the best! :smile:

I just read an article today on why one might be earning more but still not be happy, and one of the reasons given is that many of us buy too many material things and not enough experiences.

For me, buying something from an Hermes store and subsequently using it (be it daily, once a week/month or when the season is appropriate), and enjoying it is not just simply buying a material thing but investing in an experience.

Many factors contribute to this, from the unrivalled quality and craftsmanship (except maybe only by their own leathers some years back), to the "hunt", to the camaraderie of a community like TPF, to the sheer brilliance of some of their designs ( the belt kit, their reversible belts, their Kelly and H Hour watches with inter-changeable straps just to name a few) .... to simply their understated elegance.

Most importantly, I think they make many of us happy when we use them. I see my wife carefully unpacking the bag she is using for the week, choosing a matching twilly, twirling them, perusing the bag, retwirling them, all the while smiling to herself and oblivious to all around. And then sometimes, after doing this, she decides she hasn't gotten enough of her current bag, so she undoes everything, again with that loving tenderness and oblivious joy. This is done with her scarves/ CDCs/ belts etc. It makes me smile and makes me happy. Immeasurably happy.

And more importantly, this is a happiness that comes from within. It is not the transient joy of knowing or showing you are wearing an Hermes scarf/bag/belt but a deep-seated joy that originates from choosing the colour/ leather strap to go with a particular buckle, or opening your bag and seeing your coin purse/ agenda/ wallet pop out at you, the list goes on :smile:

In our material world, I believe happiness is priceless. So if it makes you happy, truly happy, buy it.
THIS!!!! An experience, not a thing.

Although....as a female executive in a male-dominated business who looks fairly young, is small in stature, and dresses casually, I do not mind the "sign" that a Birkin and an armful of cuffs makes. It says "I have achieved" and since many, many people judge on appearances, it serves a purpose.

That said, I wouldn't buy H FOR that reason, but I have been known to pile it on when I know I need a shortcut to hanging my title and CV in lights above my head ;)

I recognize this... Thank you so much for sharing! Gorgeous things like H are to be enjoyed, but in the end it's just things and life is never about the outside or what we wear, and those does not say so much about who we are - you are not stupid or shallow just because you enjoy something beautiful as long as you remember what's really important in life. You can be both strong, intellegent and interested in H ;) Whish you the best! :smile:

my younger sister says this too. it;s so condescending really. just because we like to look pretty doesn't mean we don't have anything between our ears.

good thing we live in different cities and now i pick what i say to her.