Why do you buy Hermes?

It suits my ever changing needs and moods....

For Work
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1401282254.930448.jpg

For Play
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1401282272.911570.jpg

When Feeling Serious
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1401282288.135980.jpg

Or Whimsical
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1401282299.071099.jpg

....And makes me feel the way I once did when dressing my dolls and making clothes for them as a child :girlsigh:

It suits my ever changing needs and moods....

For Work
View attachment 2632374

For Play
View attachment 2632375

When Feeling Serious
View attachment 2632376

Or Whimsical
View attachment 2632377

....And makes me feel the way I once did when dressing my dolls and making clothes for them as a child :girlsigh:

Thanks for all the photos -- the eye candy brightened up what is a very gloomy morning here in the Northeast!

Interesting insight about how our bags (and scarves, and charms, etc.) give us something to play with, now that we are "too old" to dress up our dolls! I think you may be on to something ... ;)

I bought my first Hermès scarf in 2008, at 18 years, because my mother once bought one during an holiday in Madonna di Campiglio and always said that Hermès scarves are the best ones. Her scarf is now in my closet ("La Voie Lactée" in blue), with my first one that is "Les Chevaux Qataris" in light blue and something like 30 others, some cashmere shawl, pareo, one bracelet, lockets, etc. Then, after having collected all these beautiful objects I stopped to think that I would never being able to buy a bag and I started to consider a vintage Kelly.
Years ago I used a couple of inspired birkins that fortunately make me understand that the Birkin is not for me. I can't see myself with one; so I sold them and tried with an inspired Kelly (back in those days I was like 18 or 19 years old and I still was convinced that I should have waited until 30 or so to being able to afford a real one). This bag was an inspired Kelly in blue jean epsom made by an italian factory (I must say that it is good quality indeed, at a really low price, even if now I would not buy it again) that make me understand I do not like this leather at all. I still use it, very rarely, when it pours, but now, being used to real Hermès and other leathers, I no more like the feeling; especially the hdw feels "cheap".
But the shape was more or less that of the real one and I absolutely fell in love!
I realized that I absolutely prefer box leather and honestly I don't like too much the leathers and the bright colors that are in fashion now. Not for me, I intend.
So I started my hunt for a 28 sellier in box leather.
One year ago finally bought my first Kelly. Originally it should have been a Rouge H box but I was still doubtful for the high price (really not high at all in Hermès terms), and when two days after I sold a shawl I had for sale for much time I was finally decided but...the bag had been sold two hours before.
In the end I bought another one, not in Rouge H but in Cognac. Honestly I bought it "only" because I wanted "a 28 box Kelly in a certain price range" and to overcome the disappointment for having lost the other one.
But then it arrived and...it's an incredible color! I LOVE it. It has the shade of the sweetest caramel with a golden hint and it's really perfect. The condition also are excellent with the slightest wear on the corner, but even at Hermès they suggested me to wait because the conditions are really too good for spa. I worn it nearly everyday for all the summer.
Then it came the 23 of september, my birthday, and I received a call from a friend that ended with my most precious treasure, the Rouge Vif Mini in new conditions (nearly never used) that I have paid an incredibly low price.
Less than a month later I found on a French depot-vente another mini, this time in black, and before Christmas has arrived a black Constance that is well-used, but still has plenty of life ahead.
Early this year I won in an Ebay auction my first retourne kelly, in a size that I considered before too big for me, 32, and that ended to be probably my most used with the black one. This one is in navy blue and so soft it seems a croissant. I love it so much!
And finally I have fulfilled my love for Rouge H. I am now waiting for a 35 retourne in used condition that I plan to restore. I am near to close my wishlist, I am looking for a toile kelly, then a light colored one, and perhaps a green one. I love also the brighter color in box, but we all know they are impossible to find.
Hermès is addictive, but I am now a more discerning customer. I no more spend that much on new scarves "just for the experience" or just because they are pretty. I have stopped buying 90 cm scarves and I tend to buy really few textile pieces from every season.
I love Hermès because it's so luxurious and so built to last.
Because it's the best completion of any outfit, because I dress really lady-like and a Kelly is the most beautiful bag of all I have seen.
Because the leather of my retourne Kelly is soft, buttery and smells of beeswax, because I love the way light reflects on it and the sound it makes when I close it, because I love the cute look of the two minis, because I love the fact I can surely see myself wearing all these bags and scarves and all in 40 years, because there can be a Kelly for any occasion.
And finally yes, I think I deserve the best. I put diligence in everything I do and I have a stressful life, so when it cames to material things I want to have the best I can afford to relieve me a little. I would never spend more of what I have or spend on extemporaneous fashions, but I love the feeling of Hermès bags and now I don't use anything else.

Really an interesting topic.

I bought my first Birkin at 22. Wait let me rephrase that... My husband bought it for me as my welcome to the family gift. So very kind. I first wanted an Hermes after walking down Madison Ave in NYC and I saw this woman so elegant, so chic and so flawless going down the street, almost like a movie scene. She was probably in her mid 50s and I was about 20. I remember being so mesmerized by whole look but her Birkin was just so gravitating. I did my research and I just had to have it. As everybody else I just went to the store and ask for the Birkin. I was almost embraced with laughter. Once I found out about the waiting list I was so discourage even more after I learned the price of the bag (I mean I tought my $2,100.00 LV bag was outrageously expensive). After seeing my face of dissapointment my lovely husband decided more like made his mission to get me that bag. The man than God have connection on his like of work. So my husband got me the Rouge Garance Birkin with silver hardware. Anyways.... Now 5 years later I m still shopping and loving it and at the same time regreting the money I m spending. A couple Birkin's, A Kelly, A Constance and a Jige cluch later. I m still in awe over the brand. But the main reason I buy Hermes is not because I think I should have the most exclusive best of the best... But simply after I went to the factory and saw how the bags where made and how proud the bag makers were of their hard work. I think is amazing the work behind it, the whole process the extraordinary care Hermes have for their product. Not that other stores doesnt. And lets be honest after you have one Hermes item you always go back for more.

What a lovely thread.

All my H items are silks at the moment. I buy them because of the same reasons as OP: Quality is amazing, design and colours are gorgeous. Also I love how H encourages people to be creative about their silks. I've converted my silks into bracelets, necklaces, bag straps, belts etc and I really love how I get a great value out of my purchases by being creative. Another important thing is that H silk is actually reasonably priced compared to some other designers.

I hope later this year I can expand my H collection to leather bags. I would love to start with a Picotin or a Lindy because I love the designs. I actually don't want people to notice the brand because I don't want them to focus on only the price tag.

Thanks for all the photos -- the eye candy brightened up what is a very gloomy morning here in the Northeast!

Interesting insight about how our bags (and scarves, and charms, etc.) give us something to play with, now that we are "too old" to dress up our dolls! I think you may be on to something ... ;)
"Something to play with ... ": so true!!

Remember what Audrey Hepburn said of Tiffany's ? " nothing could go wrong in a place like this?" ...and I feel like that when I'm in a Hermes shop but of course husbands will not think the same but apart from the occasional unhelpful SA and scanty bags inventory, Hermes is really a very cool spot to visit. When I buy a Hermes, it is just not a piece of merchandise that I purchase, it is a hope of a new lifestyle, a changed mindset, a belief that quality and beauty should go hand in hand and an optimism that says " it's pretty cool to not compromise!" :heart:

I know some ladies purchase Hermes and other brands, any just purchase Hermes exclusively?

I do....
Since I have bought my first Kelly about 25 ago, I have only bought 1 Celine clutch and 2 Jersey Chanel 2.55 . In 25 years, it's very close to NOTHING !

And since Hermes has gone mastige, I only buy uber-selected vintage pieces for my own use.

I am waitting for the next very exclusive brand that will emerge from that current handbag mass market.....

I buy Hermes (when I can afford to!) because it is timeless, of incredible quality and I feel that I am making a good investment - despite not planning to resell, I feel better spending 'so much' on an item if I know that it's value will be unlikely to depreciate over time - bar any physical damage that I may (carelessly) inflict on it, of course. I feel like every item is a 'collector's item'.

Furthermore, high-street items - bags, scarves and accessories that we see around us everyday - if you look closely, you can see that a significant proportion of these have been based on Hermes items. I think of Hermes and other brands of the same calibre (for example, Chanel is another common base), as being at the 'top of the chain', and their designs then trickle down to the high street. So if I can afford it, why wouldn't I want to shop for the 'original' designs?

This is why I will continue to save and buy Hermes pieces when I can :smile: