Why do some people do this?!

I dont know how old your child is but attach one of these http://www.mytinyhands.com/ along with a keychain hand sanitizer to his carrier, carseat, stroller etc.. & I can almost guarantee you, no one will touch him. I bought some for my daughter and put them on her carseat & stroller. Some of the looks/comments I get when people see it are priceless. Once they read it I can tell by their reaction whether they practice good hygiene or not. Not only did I have people touching her hands (Prior to sign) I had them touching her eyelashes as well can you imagine? When she was a newborn I would cover her carseat with a receiving blanket so no one could see/or touch her. I would never take it upon myself to touch someone elses child without permission.
Thanks for the link! My son will be four this year, so I have nowhere to put a sign (unless I glue it to his forehead, which might not be a bad idea!), but I'm emailing this link to my friends.

Moms:

If they look like they're about to touch your children again, give them a squirt of hand sanitizer first.

I was taught not to touch strange dogs (without doing the hand sniff thing first - and you ask the owner even before you do that) but I was never told about touching other people's babies because the issue never came up! You don't touch a baby until his or her mother gives you permission!

Ok, I am going to be a bit of the descenting opinion here.

First of all, please read the reports on the sanitizing lotions, creams, etc....there are so many out there, trying to warn parents do not over use these ....because it is ruining our children's natural protections. If someone is sick or on a plane or hand washing before eating is not available, ok....but otherwise most people totally over use them. It's just like antiboitics, save them for when you really need them, or else you cause more damage than good.

I read one report about why kids are so sick these days once they go to school...it basically said, we isolate our children and sanitize our children so much as babies and toddlers that their bodies no longer know how the fight off germs and virus'...then they go to school and bam! are bombarded and you're not around to sanitized them and thus creates the viscious cycle of being sick.

Second, first let me say, if you truely feel uncomfortable and your child is in danger then do everything needed....but when people do this most times they are being friendly and are fostering a sense of community...these are they type of people that help strangers, help lost children and will speak up when they see something amiss...do you really want to discourage that because of a few germs? We all wonder why people don't help when someone calls for help...or step in when a child is lost or in distress....etc....why? because we continually telling people don't touch our kids, don't talk to my child, mind your own business, etc.

I hope I didn't offend anyone...just telling it the way I see it.

First of all, please read the reports on the sanitizing lotions, creams, etc....there are so many out there, trying to warn parents do not over use these ....because it is ruining our children's natural protections. If someone is sick or on a plane or hand washing before eating is not available, ok....but otherwise most people totally over use them. It's just like antiboitics, save them for when you really need them, or else you cause more damage than good.

I read one report about why kids are so sick these days once they go to school...it basically said, we isolate our children and sanitize our children so much as babies and toddlers that their bodies no longer know how the fight off germs and virus'...then they go to school and bam! are bombarded and you're not around to sanitized them and thus creates the viscious cycle of being sick.

Second, first let me say, if you truely feel uncomfortable and your child is in danger then do everything needed....but when people do this most times they are being friendly and are fostering a sense of community...these are they type of people that help strangers, help lost children and will speak up when they see something amiss...do you really want to discourage that because of a few germs? We all wonder why people don't help when someone calls for help...or step in when a child is lost or in distress....etc....why? because we continually telling people don't touch our kids, don't talk to my child, mind your own business, etc.

I agree that people are just trying to be friendly but you dont touch people without asking. Would it be ok with you if a stranger walked up to you & touched your nose, eyelashes, hair, breast etc...? Probably not. What spreads germs amongst kids & people in general are dirty hands & sick people not staying home from work, school etc..

You know what I love? People who say they havent missed a day of work in X amount of years. They are probably the folks who go to work sick and spread germs causing people to become ill which makes others have to miss work. At least those who stay home to get better have the courtesy to avoid spreading their illness.

Second, first let me say, if you truely feel uncomfortable and your child is in danger then do everything needed....but when people do this most times they are being friendly and are fostering a sense of community...

How "friendly" is it to walk up and touch a stranger without their permission (or in the case of children, asking their parents)? It is wrong and rude. You are confusing good intentions with a good act. My friend might not mean any harm when she borrows things without asking, but she is still doing something wrong. Besides the germ issue (which with hands is a serious issue), it is an invasion of someone's personal space when you touch them without permission. I'm sure you would be alarmed/annoyed if a stranger reached out and grabbed your hand or touched your face (despite their original intent), so why should people have a different standard for their children?

tink, you don't know when you touch other's babies, what that child is dealing with. Most children have healthy immune systems, but some children are preemies and have other conditions. These children can get an infection from you that wouldn't kill you, but could kill them! You never know. Bottom line is, don't touch strangers' children!

THANK YOU! I was waiting for someone to state reality here! I couldn't agree more! There is such a thing as being too protective!

I don't think I've paid much attention to it, but yes I have and don't have a problem with it! Good god It's not like thet have crap on their hands and even if they did, it's probably not goin got make me sick! Do you know how much fecal matter is in the air?

Yesterday I had someone come up to me at a conference and wipe a pencil off that I had on my face, with their bare hand! I most certaintly didn't freak out and didn't even think twice about it until just now! I was just grateful she did it so I don't look like an idiot any longer! :smile:

I don't think I've paid much attention to it, but yes I have and don't have a problem with it! Good god It's not like thet have crap on their hands and even if they did, it's probably not goin got make me sick! Do you know how much fecal matter is in the air?

Yesterday I had someone come up to me at a conference and wipe a pencil off that I had on my face, with their bare hand! I most certaintly didn't freak out and didn't even think twice about it until just now! I was just grateful she did it so I don't look like an idiot any longer! :smile:

How do you know what is on someone elses hands? What if they didnt wash their hands after they used the restroom?

I don't think I've paid much attention to it, but yes I have and don't have a problem with it! Good god It's not like thet have crap on their hands and even if they did, it's probably not goin got make me sick!
Great that you don't have a problem with it, but before you touch someone else's kids, you can't always bet that they don't as well. It's not all about sickness, otherwise my child would never play in a public playground. It's just a rude, obnoxious thing to do. It's presumptuous to assume that everyone feels the same way you do OR should feel the way you do.

again.. there are germs everywhere... I'm not about to wear gloves everyday and traet people like they are toxic! When you get germs on you it just makes your body's defense level rise!
We aren't talking radioactivity here!

again.. there are germs everywhere... I'm not about to wear gloves everyday and traet people like they are toxic!
I repeat, it's not just about germs, although that is a signifiant part. I'm not asking you to wear gloves. Just don't touch me or my kid without permission just because you like strangers to touch you. Thanks. I hope you are not feeling ganged up on, just want you to understand where I'm coming from. :flowers: