Why do ppl wear their scrubs/medical outfits in public?

agreed- I'd rather see scrubs than booties. Once I saw a man wearing scrubs booties, a cap, a mask around his neck AND a surgery gown outside smoking a cigarette. That was probably the most unusual thing I saw. Apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my opinion- it's just that where I work, scrubs are just used for things where your clothes can't enter or leave the room, so I've gotten used to that.

they are probably on their break or stopping by somewhere before heading home. when i get off work, i just wear my scrubs till i get home. doesn't make sense to change into street clothes.

if anyone is worried about it being comtaminated, it is not. when we do any procedures with the patients or when it calls for it (ie. patient is on contact precaution because of an infection), we do wear disposable protective gowns that covers pretty much to the bottom of our pants, gloves, shoe covers (when needed), face mask, face shield, protective glasses, disposable hair hats, and you name it and we have it. when we are done, it gets toss in the trash. and we don't recycle these protective gears with our other patients.

and if by chance, if my scrubs gets any spills of some sort, our hopsital have clean scrubs we can change in to. i always change into the new scrubs immediately right after the spills.

sometimes health care providers work 16 straight hours 6-7 days a week and the only time they can run their errands is during their break.

I dunno, I kinda think it's cool to see people in their scrubs. I'm sure they've just had a long day and didn't feel like changing at work. But I admire that, caz they have such honorable jobs. And as for military people....well, they give their lives to ALL of us and I have a lot of respect for them. Personally, I feel they have the right to wear whatever they feel like. They've earned it, and they deserve the title/uniform. This goes for both medical and military IMO.

I dunno, I kinda think it's cool to see people in their scrubs. I'm sure they've just had a long day and didn't feel like changing at work. But I admire that, caz they have such honorable jobs. And as for military people....well, they give their lives to ALL of us and I have a lot of respect for them. Personally, I feel they have the right to wear whatever they feel like. They've earned it, and they deserve the title/uniform. This goes for both medical and military IMO.
ITA with all of this!

I used to work around a hospital, and would get kinda annoyed during lunch when all these people come in and eat with scrubs on. The convenient thing is they get the hospital discount without showing ID because of the scrubs. Sure, lots of these people are in clean environments but there are also lots who are desensitized to the infectious environment and came right out of a contaminated area. Eech.

I would like to add that I personally saw scrubs with many stains on it. A lot of first year med students go to lunch directly from anatomy lab with their scrubs. (They start to do this around now...because in September they are still cautious, but now they are desensitized).

thank you LAltieros85 :heart:! i really appreciate your comment.

I only worked per diem at the hospital during nursing school and because I wasn't a "regular" employee I wasn't provided with a locker to store any personal belongings. Rather than leave a change of clothes sitting out in the open in bathroom/locker room I would just wear my scrubs home. The only thing I was really careful with was shoes - I always kept a pair of shoes to change into in my car. My work shoes would go straight into a plastic bag before I even got into the car. For some reason I was always paranoid about tracking germs everywhere from my shoes.

I can tell you that many of the OR nurses I've worked with leave in full OR gear and I think its just because they are so used to wearing it all day long they forget they have it on.

Doesnt bother me either. Why would you care? What other people do is their business and I would think they'd have enough judgement and responsibility if they were in an infectious environment. There doing better for society than someone who dresses pretty all day imo. I respect them.

It doesn't bother me that people like to wear their scrubs, my main concern was sanitary reasons.

The whole sterile shoe cover thing was just funny to me when I saw. Perhaps she was trying to protect the enviroment from contamination..

The only thing I was really careful with was shoes - I always kept a pair of shoes to change into in my car. My work shoes would go straight into a plastic bag before I even got into the car.
My mom works is the medical field, and that's what she does. She always said it's just a lot of germs on shoes walking around that kind of environment.