Why Do People Buy Fake Designer Bags Or Fake Designer Anything?

I think all y'all are taking this real/fake handbag stuff just a little too far lol they are just handbags it's not life or death. I love handbags real or fake i don't really care. I don't care what happens if i buy a fake one or don't buy a fake one if i like what i see no matter if it's real or fake I'm gonna buy it and enjoy it.You all act like OMG it funds terrorists OMG this OMG that lol you all realize how silly that sounds? Goodness people it's JUST handbags, don't y'all think you are being just a bit overly dramatic about this fake bag stuff. Not if people stop buying fakes its gonna stop all the terrorists or what have ya, drug money will fund that stuff just fine. You may or may not like fake bags for whatever reason but it's not really worth all this acting as if it's some awful sin, they are just bags. Besides millions of people carry fake bags every day and the world aint stopped turning yet and apparently there are far more people who like fake bags and enjoy them, than not because i see far to many people with them. As i said around here people go crazy over them and buy them like crazy and when I'm outta the state i see them all over the place too so it's not just here. lol y'all need to relax. You say people just want everyone to think the fake bags they have are real. What does it matter? So what if they want people to think that or not, who really cares? I know most people got more to worry with than if some bag is fake or real and if they are saying that it's fake or real, most people could care less, because they got far more important things to care about.People might sell fakes on ebay, but so what? not as if it's gonna stop because a few people don't buy fake bags, it's gonna go on no matter what, and all the complaining in the world isn't gonna stop fake bags from existing and it isn't gonna stop them from being sold or enjoyed.Whine whine whine about copyrights and stealing and what not....still aint gonna stop nothing, it isn't gonna stop millions of them from being sold every day.Besides who in the world buys designer bags on ebay anyway? That would just be stupid, and if people are stupid enough to shop on ebay than my guess is they probably deserve to get ripped off, because it's ten times more trouble than going to a store and you are more than likely getting ripped off anyway no matter if it's real or fake....they gotta make money some how so they are gonna sell it for more than they really should, i would know i looked for a car on there once and they was asking 3,000-5,000 more than blue book price so after seeing that i don't worry with ebay anymore because it's all way over priced, and i can walk out my front door and buy a real bag in 20 minutes as opposed to going though the hassle of ebay. Just go to macys or a factory store or whatever and buy your bag, that away you know what your getting is real and never been used, and you don't gotta worry about that, plus it's far less trouble and far less time consuming. I've never bought a thing off ebay and if i want a real designer bag i just go to the store and buy it like a normal person, i just went to macys and bought a new coach bag a few weeks ago. Fake bags at least the ones I've bought anyway are nice and as i said most you can't even tell if it's real or fake, and none of them have tore up in anyway shape or form and I've had a lot of mine for several years, but than again i take care of my stuff (both real and fake) i don't throw it around like a lot of people seem to so that might make some difference too, plus i buy the better quality fakes so that might make some difference as well. I'm not rough on any of my bags and i usually take everything out of them when i get home and wrap them back up in dust covers until I'm ready to use it again and while i have them out i take care of it and see to it i don't get it dirty or set in the floor or what have ya. I guess no matter what i say people will still be petty and argue back and forth about the real/fake thing and make some huge deal outta it which is just silly to act as if it's some horrible sin, just enjoy your bags no matter if they are real or fake, i know i do and i know theres not a thing wrong with it either. The 30 of you or so who post here might think it's horrible but theres a million + people out there who thinks it's just fine or else they wouldn't buy them like i see them bought. As some of you have said theres celebs carrying fakes, theres rich people carrying them and so on, obviously fakes bags aint so horrible or else those people wouldn't be carrying and enjoying them because they can afford real ones if they want them.

For me, it's not whether someone wants one, or if they are good quality, but about how they are manufactured by stealing others' ideas. It gets glossed over, imo, because it is "just" handbags, which are fun and silly and entertaining, but fake handbags are big business. Federal resources are used to bust the fake rings, so I guess we could help by being careful of what we buy. For me, it gets very personal as far as the idea of intellectual property being stolen and sold for profit. I research, write, and share things for free on the internet all the time...but there is NO way I'd have patience for someone taking my words to turn a profit for themselves. Same thing. My lack of participation hasn't put an end to plagiarism and it won't put an end to stolen bag ideas, but it's a start.

(And ya, take it pretty seriously, but ya, it is just handbag :smile: )

Well thats you, thats not the millions of other people in this world, some people just don't give a dang and nothing no one can say is gonna change that fact. I personally don't care if it's wrong or not, it's not gonna stop me from buying fake ones at any point in the future, if i see it and like it i'm gonna buy it, just like a lot of other people do.As i said to the 30 or so of you people on here it's some horrible sin but for most normal people it really just don't matter and probably never will. As i said all the complaining in the world on a purse blog aint gonna change nothing.

Well thats you, thats not the millions of other people in this world, some people just don't give a dang and nothing no one can say is gonna change that fact. I personally don't care if it's wrong or not, it's not gonna stop me from buying fake ones at any point in the future, if i see it and like it i'm gonna buy it, just like a lot of other people do.As i said to the 30 or so of you people on here it's some horrible sin but for most normal people it really just don't matter and probably never will. As i said all the complaining in the world on a purse blog aint gonna change nothing.

Many people taking baby steps will make a bigger difference than one person taking a huge step.

One of the sad things about this world is that people DON'T care when they should. I think you're argument that "millions of people carry fake bags" is weak. Millions of people murder, rape, steal, abuse others; does that make it ok? No!

The fact that selling fakes is illegal *should* be enough reason not to buy or sell a fake purse at all. It is not an unjust or unfair law; fake purses do hurt industries. They hurt the designer because they have to spend money fighting the fakes; they hurt the consumer because we end up paying more for the real thing when the designer has to raise the price; they help fund terrorism and that hurts everyone in this country (and in other countries).

It is about respect: respecting the designers who created these purses, respecting the laws which prohibit the selling of fake purses.

And like someone else said, the feds are spending a lot of time going after fakes. Because our tax dollars are funding the fighting of fake purses, you should care.

I think wearing a fake cheapens your whole look. Even if your outfit is designer and you are carrying a fake LV you almost look like someone who wants to belong to the "club" but can't really afford to. It's sad, in a way.
That being said I don't get offended when I see people wearing fakes.
I haven't really read up on the whole fakes and terrorism thing so I don't have an opinion on it. I do however believe that many things are on par with buying fakes that we should also focus on as well. Many things are illegal and wrong as well and people don't care.

I personally think it's better for people to carry the real thing if they possibly can.. but at the same time I know that not everyone can afford to carry a bag costing a few hundred to a few thousand dollars..in my opinion if they want to get the fake version,let them. that shouldn't stop anyone from appreciating the real thing, however.

Also wanted to note the most ridiculous thing when it comes to fake bags is the fake coach and dooney and bourke imo. come on people just save a a few more dollars and get a real coach ( which is known for quality) instead of selling out on fake. skip going clubbing maybe two times and there you go, you can get the real one.

Last edited:
If someone wants to buy a fake bag more power to them. I wouldnt personally do it. IMO both the fake bag buyer and legit bag buyer are buying for status. If you cant go into the store and pay cash for your bag and not have to save up for months without selling off stuff you cant afford it either. What makes you any different than the person buying a fake? Most of the counterfeit sellers are trying to taker care of their families. The gov't funds terrorism are you not going to work and pay taxes anymore because of it? Sometimes things are just the way they are. Besides what has any of these luxury companies done for common folk or to help in a crisis?

Last edited:
This town is full of them. Even my friend carries one. Told her I was embarassed to go into the CHanel store with her. She thinks its nice, but the plastic and the white crooked sewn CC is nothing close to authentic. It's not like she can't afford it. Whatever..

To WonderWomanWV-

There are reputable sellers selling authentic Chanels on eBay and some you can get a good deal on or at least save a couple hundred on Chanel for example. You can find styles on there that the stores no longer carry. I am sure you could easily find an authentic bag on there for the same price you paid for some fake. Many of your comments are that you don't care and will continue to carry fakes. Well did you know that this The Purse Forum you are writing in is commited to orginals? There are no fake purse fdesigner forums. And, at the top of the site in huge letters is Authentic This- obviously many of the people here care about purchasing authentic purses.

I have to say I take much more offense to your abuse of the English language, than your careless attitude toward fakes. Please tell me this is a joke. Why would you be posting on a forum that is obviously anti-fakes ?

To WonderWomanWV-

There are reputable sellers selling authentic Chanels on eBay and some you can get a good deal on or at least save a couple hundred on Chanel for example. You can find styles on there that the stores no longer carry. I am sure you could easily find an authentic bag on there for the same price you paid for some fake. Many of your comments are that you don't care and will continue to carry fakes. Well did you know that this The Purse Forum you are writing in is commited to orginals? There are no fake purse fdesigner forums. And, at the top of the site in huge letters is Authentic This- obviously many of the people here care about purchasing authentic purses.

Totally agree! There are reputable dealers out there. My sister and mom have found authentic chanel, gucci and etc. on ebay. Ebay is one of the best places to find those rare or past season bags you missed. You are so right you can get a good deal on an authentic bag for the money you waste on a fake. You just have to be really careful but there are authentic bags and sellers on ebay. I have sold authentic bags on there too the ones I don't use anymore. I recently just sold an authentic '08 Balenciaga EB City. Ebay can be a great place to find designer bags but of course use caution and always stick with the reputable sellers and have the lovely ladies of tpf authenticate for you as well, another great resource :tup:

What makes you any different than the person buying a fake? Most of the counterfeit sellers are trying to taker care of their families.

The counterfeit sellers can go out and try getting a legitimate job. You can make the same argument that burglars are just supporting themselves and their families when they invade in someone's home but it does not make it less of a criminal act. The same thing with drug dealers - it does not legally justify their actions simply because they have families to take care of.

The difference between the person who knowingly purchase counterfeit items and myself is that I do not blatantly support the counterfeit industry.

I think all y'all are taking this real/fake handbag stuff just a little too far lol they are just handbags it's not life or death. I love handbags real or fake i don't really care. I don't care what happens if i buy a fake one or don't buy a fake one if i like what i see no matter if it's real or fake I'm gonna buy it and enjoy it.You all act like OMG it funds terrorists OMG this OMG that lol you all realize how silly that sounds? Goodness people it's JUST handbags, don't y'all think you are being just a bit overly dramatic about this fake bag stuff. Not if people stop buying fakes its gonna stop all the terrorists or what have ya, drug money will fund that stuff just fine. You may or may not like fake bags for whatever reason but it's not really worth all this acting as if it's some awful sin, they are just bags. Besides millions of people carry fake bags every day and the world aint stopped turning yet and apparently there are far more people who like fake bags and enjoy them, than not because i see far to many people with them. As i said around here people go crazy over them and buy them like crazy and when I'm outta the state i see them all over the place too so it's not just here. lol y'all need to relax. You say people just want everyone to think the fake bags they have are real. What does it matter? So what if they want people to think that or not, who really cares? I know most people got more to worry with than if some bag is fake or real and if they are saying that it's fake or real, most people could care less, because they got far more important things to care about.People might sell fakes on ebay, but so what? not as if it's gonna stop because a few people don't buy fake bags, it's gonna go on no matter what, and all the complaining in the world isn't gonna stop fake bags from existing and it isn't gonna stop them from being sold or enjoyed.Whine whine whine about copyrights and stealing and what not....still aint gonna stop nothing, it isn't gonna stop millions of them from being sold every day.Besides who in the world buys designer bags on ebay anyway? That would just be stupid, and if people are stupid enough to shop on ebay than my guess is they probably deserve to get ripped off, because it's ten times more trouble than going to a store and you are more than likely getting ripped off anyway no matter if it's real or fake....they gotta make money some how so they are gonna sell it for more than they really should, i would know i looked for a car on there once and they was asking 3,000-5,000 more than blue book price so after seeing that i don't worry with ebay anymore because it's all way over priced, and i can walk out my front door and buy a real bag in 20 minutes as opposed to going though the hassle of ebay. Just go to macys or a factory store or whatever and buy your bag, that away you know what your getting is real and never been used, and you don't gotta worry about that, plus it's far less trouble and far less time consuming. I've never bought a thing off ebay and if i want a real designer bag i just go to the store and buy it like a normal person, i just went to macys and bought a new coach bag a few weeks ago. Fake bags at least the ones I've bought anyway are nice and as i said most you can't even tell if it's real or fake, and none of them have tore up in anyway shape or form and I've had a lot of mine for several years, but than again i take care of my stuff (both real and fake) i don't throw it around like a lot of people seem to so that might make some difference too, plus i buy the better quality fakes so that might make some difference as well. I'm not rough on any of my bags and i usually take everything out of them when i get home and wrap them back up in dust covers until I'm ready to use it again and while i have them out i take care of it and see to it i don't get it dirty or set in the floor or what have ya. I guess no matter what i say people will still be petty and argue back and forth about the real/fake thing and make some huge deal outta it which is just silly to act as if it's some horrible sin, just enjoy your bags no matter if they are real or fake, i know i do and i know theres not a thing wrong with it either. The 30 of you or so who post here might think it's horrible but theres a million + people out there who thinks it's just fine or else they wouldn't buy them like i see them bought. As some of you have said theres celebs carrying fakes, theres rich people carrying them and so on, obviously fakes bags aint so horrible or else those people wouldn't be carrying and enjoying them because they can afford real ones if they want them.

What about the people who have had their copyrighted designs stolen.....and it is against the law!

I think all y'all are taking this real/fake handbag stuff just a little too far lol they are just handbags it's not life or death. I love handbags real or fake i don't really care. I don't care what happens if i buy a fake one or don't buy a fake one if i like what i see no matter if it's real or fake I'm gonna buy it and enjoy it.You all act like OMG it funds terrorists OMG this OMG that lol you all realize how silly that sounds? Goodness people it's JUST handbags, don't y'all think you are being just a bit overly dramatic about this fake bag stuff. Not if people stop buying fakes its gonna stop all the terrorists or what have ya, drug money will fund that stuff just fine. You may or may not like fake bags for whatever reason but it's not really worth all this acting as if it's some awful sin, they are just bags.

..Wow, I got lost reading this. Lots of grammatical errors and run-on sentences.

I think the most outrageous is the use of the protected brand name. If only one bag of style is imitated, but not with the brand name incorrectly boasts, then it is oK. Finally, there are people who are not so expensive pockets can afford.
Or what do you think about it?:heart:

WonderWomanWV,
You are on the wrong forum to start saying these kinds of things.....

(do we have a smiley wearing a flame suit?)

The idea of fakes doesn't bother me from a fashion standpoint in the least...but from an ethics, illegal standpoint, very disturbing. It's illegal to steal intellectual property. (repeating myself but it bares repeating.) If you steal the words out of the book I wrote, I get to sue you. If you steal someone's designs, the designer gets to sue you. If you buy stolen property/ideas/words/books/cds/bag/etc, you contribute to crime and theft.

:tup:plain and simple. I dont know why folks can't understand that?