Why Do People Buy Fake Designer Bags Or Fake Designer Anything?

I hate it when people judge me for buying expensive bags ("You must be shallow"; "You must be selfish, why don't you give that money to charity") so I NEVER judge anyone else for the bag they're carrying. If someone buys a fake, it's between them and their god and has nothing at all to do with me.

I've never gotten things like that (although the bulk of my money goes towards clothes and shoes) but I often get the "You're lucky you have parents who pay for everything" line-which aggravates me beyond anything because, although I live at home, I pay for every single one of my expenses (besides groceries, of course :P)

So true!!! If you have good taste and a sence of style you don't need brand names at all!

In Japan ppl have something like a saying, when someone has no taste he/she can buy good taste (through brand names and luxury items).

I think when you can't afford luxury, keep it simple. Or else it's tacky.

I just hate cheapo clothes and accessories that try too hard to pass as luxurious. I see women on the street, dressed with loud jeans full of bling on the back pockets (fake versace), fake polyester top with a logo plastered on the bosom, fake non leather boots with diamante DIOR written on the side, faux cheap fur, fake sunglasses with lotsa gold and bling, and of course cheapo fake bag (gucci or LV).... All this while their roots are untouched...:faint: C'mon lady, just buy a simple pair of jeans, a nice cotton shirt, a plain pair of boots, and a nice pair of sun glasses, and pleeease dye those roots. It will cost less and you will look 1 gazzilion times better. No one thinks what you wear is real.:tdown:

You're so right on with this one.

I've never gotten things like that (although the bulk of my money goes towards clothes and shoes) but I often get the "You're lucky you have parents who pay for everything" line-which aggravates me beyond anything because, although I live at home, I pay for every single one of my expenses (besides groceries, of course :P)

No one has actually said it to my face, but by some people's coments, i know they're thinking it, which i can't stand because it's so judgmental. I don't say anything abuot them NOT carrying a designer bag. I don't think of anyone any less than me because they choose not to have designer anything, but that's their opinion and their choice and it's totally our choice to carry designer bags. It's all about personal style and if you're into that then good, if not then that's fine too :wlae:

People will really judge us for carrying the real thing. All because their lifestyles and ours don't mesh. So, we talk about them here carrying fake bags (wanna bes, slave labor etc.) and they brand us as shallow, social climber, lots of money to burn, "waster" of money etc.....thats life.;)

My mom will knowingly buy herself a fake LV just because she saw one she likes in an LV store...but she doesn't harp about my buying the real thing. In fact she gifts me with the real deal. So no problem between my mom and I. BTW, gave her several LV purse but she never used it since she is not comfortable using "LV" or any real deal.

She comes with me on my buying trips too and was pushing me to buy the Fendi spy for myself instead of the BV Campana.:tup:

Our receptionists carries many fake bags and not nice quality fake bags either. I think its so tacky looking, but I can't be mean and say anything to her. She is always tight on money, I think its because she is shopping and buying fake Coach bags for the most part. She has fake Coach sunglasses too.

What really bothers me is that in the lobby of my building they have different vendors that sell things and there is one vendor who comes in every month selling fake purses. There was also a purse party at my apartment leasing office. They say come and get a desginer bag, come and get a Chanel etc. Isn't this illegal? I would love to call the police on them.

I hate that people think it is normal to carry fakes. I put off getting an LV purse for the longest time because I see alot of fakes. I finally bought a vernis rodeo drive bag, because I do not think it has been faked very much yet and it is just a gorgeous purse!:smile:

A friend of mine spends a fortune on fake bags, and I, too, wonder why she does it?
I feel that if she saved all her money that she spends on the fakes that she will have one really nice bag .... but she has her reasons. On the other hand, I love it when friends of mine buy a name brand bag and talk about how horribly expensive it is and overlook how much more expensive my bag is and feel like I am left out of their conversation, because I could not possibly understand what it is like to own one of those horribly monogrammed coach bags you see outside every mall being sold by parking lot trunk salesmen. Thankfully I am not really drawn to the bags that seem to catch counterfeiters attention, that is not to say that I will never wear or want a bag that has been overly copied, just that it hasn't happened yet. My friends are always amazed that my bags are actually more than theirs, but it is not that I tell them ~ someone else always says something.
I like my bags based on style, leather.... (I don't think I own a canvas bag ~unless it was a gift) and color. Designers are usually all over those qualities! Their names don't have to be.

My cousin's wife has family that live in Bangkok who keep her supplied with tacky fake handbags. Every time I see her, she has a new bag. Gucci, LV, Prada, Fendi, and on Christmas it was D&G. What's funny is that her family is filthy rich. I have no idea why she sees the need to carry those tacky bags. What's worse is the way her nose turns up ever-so-slightly when she's got one of those fakes on her shoulder.

I live in Texas where I have joked that every mother, daughter, aunt, and grandmother is carrying a fake Coach signature bag with the stitching coming undone. It's my experience that people think that they are real and that they got some fantastic deal on it.

My sister-in-law ordered a "Coach" signature diaper bag online and was just ecstatic about the great deal she got. I told my mom it was a fake and my mom pleaded with me not to tell my s-i-l beacuse she'd be heartbroken! I don't think she would have believed me anyway. She thinks it no different that my Coach signature bag (which I no longer carry as it would be lost in the sea of fakes).

I don't know how many people I've tried to convince that authentic handbags don't arrive with the handles wrapped in plastic.

I seriously don't believe in buying fakes.
I did however own fakes before, but after a while I realized that the authentic ones are better and besides I like knowing that while I don't have a great collection of designer bags, atleast each of the few bags I have are authentic.
I don't judge people that buy fakes, though, really. The only thing I dislike is when they try to pass it off as the real thing! UGH.
I'm a sophmore @ High School, and whenever I take designer goods they're authentic. I once made the mistake of taking a fake Louis Vuitton Messenger Bag to school. I actually felt proud cuz I spent 40.oo on a 'gorgeous' bag. Everybody from my school thought it was real. *sigh*
Omg and this is the most embarrasing part! I believed it was real too, so when they asked me I was all like omg of course its real! LOL. Omg.
I was 12 back then, so maybe that explained it lol.
After that, I threw all my fakes away and started reading guides, comparing real to fakes.
Personally when it comes to buying a higher-end brand (such as Chanel, Louis, Marc Jacobs, et c), I'd rather save up my money, then give my mom the money, and ask her if she can bid on something authentic from eBay or something. Thanks to this website I can ask opinions on authencity :smile:
They're are many options and sometimes you can get a good deal.
Idk, but as they once said 'Quality not Quantity'

My colleague is a lovely girl and she has a lovely Prada bag and wallet. They are however lovely fakes. I'm certainly not an expert and having only seen, never touched it never really jumped out at me (both are fabric with embroidery, really simple). What astounded me a bit was that she was very open about them being fake and quite proud at how little she paid them (like $20 abroad).

Her reasoning is she loves the look but she's not (in her words) crazy enough to pay the prices. As long as she doesn't try to pass them for real she doesn't see a problem.

It was only mentioned in passing and I'm not going to bring it back up but I'm still trying to figure out what I think of what she said. Bit stumped really. Have you ever encountered the same reasoning?

This is my first ever post and I'm so glad to have found this forum!:yahoo:

Honestly, I hear this type of reasoning a lot. Sadly, plenty of people just want the look but they don't think about what they are really doing when they buy a fake.

I have clients and friends who carries Fake Louis Vuitton and Chanels! Though I have different kinds of these brands, I still find myself being curious on what they have. I ended up seeing a fake piece of gunk and they normally say "My friend got it for me from New York."

I do not want to hurt ladies out there who owns a fake one because I know i've been there too! To my opinion, if you wear a fake one, it is like you walking on the street with your head cut off. I will be too embarrassed to walk now with a fake one. HONESTLY!

I am glad I have seen this post as I have wanted to rant for a while.
Whilst I can understand people who buy one because they don't know the difference what I object to are really wealthy people here in London - and I am talking multi millions - who carry the fakes because they think we more ordinary girls won't know the difference (I am refering to the obscene ammount of "Birkins" floating arround Knightsbridge). They may be wearing them with real mink but the way I see it the earings are probably fake as is many other things about them.(And I don't mean surgery)

Most importantly and I hope anyone who caries a fake reads this - not only are they distributed by the mafia who also control people smuggling and prostitution, with the two often going together, but if you ever take your fake Hermes, LV or Chanel through a French airport they have the right to not only impound it but to fine you €200,000 which is quite a lot in dollars and sterling these days.:crybaby:

I haven't read through this post, but I get the point.

Fakes are by far the funniest purchase I have witnessed. Not only does it make girls look nutty, but I have also had some hilarious experiences.

Long story short I have been out a couple of times to lounges and bars and I couldn't tell you how many times my friends Fake purses have broken on them. They end up having to carry it around with two arms the whole night. LOL

Who is making these designer fakes? I realize that most of them are coming from China but do they have their own manufacturing plants? I'm starting to believe that the counterfeiters are making these bags right along side with the real ones since a lot of designers are moving their plants to China. I went through Canal Street last week and I mostly saw fake Balenciaga bags but there were a number of people trying to entice me to go behind closed doors to purchase LVs, Coachs, etc.