Why Do Asians Love Luxury Labels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's their nature:confused1:
I'll assume that you are probably joking, but we have to be careful to avoid essentialist talk about race/ethnicity. Assuming that it is true that there is an emphasis on name brands in some Asian cultures, this has to be assumed to be the product of socio-cultural and/or economic causes.

The article seems very iffy to me. It uses anecdotal evidence to draw big, dramatic conclusions. Its claims might be true, but I wouldn't take that article seriously.

From since I was growing up until now, my aunts who raised me always said designer items are high quality--they will check tags on clothes to see if they're made in the u.s. or italy, etc. and reject anything from china. Every shopping trip they said the same quote, "It's better to buy a few good pieces of designer clothing than an ton of crappy cheap pieces of clothing."

My mother taught me this growing up and we are not near Asian (that I know of anyway)....LOL;).

hmm i dont really think it has anything to do with being asian. when i was in the LV store in paris, i saw TONS of asian tourists. They came into the store in like groups haha. even the SA started talking to me in japanese and i was like um no im Chinese AND im from NYC. but out of my friends, me and 3 other girls probably buy bags over $300. my other friends don't and we pretty have the same backgrounds. upper middle class, ivy league schools, and good education. my other friends just aren't very interested in the brand while some of us are. but i believe if you can afford it, why not buy as many things as you want? life is short. im still hoping to get an hermes birkin before im 30 haha

Oh, I read already read this article... interesting points... some I agree with. But you know... I also know a lot of Asians that could care less about designer labels and go for only the cheap stuff.

i'm asian and i don't know why too LOL

but i heard someone said to me that this guy was telling a story to my friend's mother about the way business goes to his hands.
see, when he got a benefit from his first business deal for let's say 500$, he would spent it on a mont blanc pen, because he said that teh mont blanc pen would give him more dignity and gain more trust from his next deal when he signed a contract with that pen.
people's first impression was that he's a successful business man and he's trusted. he only use good quality products and luxurious trusted brand, that meant that he appreciated art, design, quality and that should reflect his work LOL

shallow, but hey, i do think it works sometimes.
when u signed a 10.000$ deal with a guy using a 5$ ugly looking pen than with a 500$ pen, my first impression would goes to the later one too. although it can't guaranteed anything, but it is the image i captured first.

but i heard someone said to me that this guy was telling a story to my friend's mother about the way business goes to his hands.
see, when he got a benefit from his first business deal for let's say 500$, he would spent it on a mont blanc pen, because he said that teh mont blanc pen would give him more dignity and gain more trust from his next deal when he signed a contract with that pen.
people's first impression was that he's a successful business man and he's trusted. he only use good quality products and luxurious trusted brand, that meant that he appreciated art, design, quality and that should reflect his work LOL

when u signed a 10.000$ deal with a guy using a 5$ ugly looking pen than with a 500$ pen, my first impression would goes to the later one too. although it can't guaranteed anything, but it is the image i captured first.

My BF always mention's the pens of people he is dealing with so I think your right something as simple as that does make an impression

What's wrong with having nice things if you can afford them and they put a smile on your face? I think it's universal that all types of people love a little luxury in their lives.

There' something seriously wrong with the heading... it should read "WHY DO WE LOVE LUXURY LABELS". It's not just us Asians, right? I mean who doesn't love luxury? If your pocket can shell it out--why not?

Being an Asian, I do think a lot Asians are very into status and showing off their status, but so are people from other races. And luxury items in Japan are nearly twice as expensive as the US. Last time I went to Japan, I saw a Marc Jacobs bag that sells for $1050 in the US retails for nearly $2400 (after convertion to US$) in Japan. Hence a lot of Japanese go oversea to get the most out of their money. Anyway, nothing wrong with liking luxury goods, money is spent either one way or another, right? If it is not bags, it could be travel; if it is not travel, it could be a hobby, it is basically really whatever floats your boat.

This makes perfect sense:yes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.