Why Do Asians Love Luxury Labels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is INCREDIBLY inane and stupid. I won't mince words when it comes to topics like this one.

I assure you that the MAJORITY of Asian people (hello, do you know how large China is?) do not give a hoot about major brands. Besides: WHO CARES? Why bother stereotyping?

I don't think it's just Asians... this article is a little bit stereotypical... I see Europeans all the time with designer labels- Lacoste, Gucci, etc. I see plenty of Americans (whether they are Asian or not) wearing designer items, as well.

I'm sorry, I'm asian and I don't agree with this article. Sure there are a some rich people in China and Japan but that's probably the top 3% that are taking those trips to Paris every year. The majority of Asians from China (which makes up the largest ethnic population in the world) are poor and of lower class. As a matter of fact, most of the asians I know are frugal as heck, bargain hunters and wouldn't buy anything full price.

I have a DIVERSE group of friends (male and female) who love name brands. We're not trying to "show off" or "compete" as some people in this thread have said. The only reason I buy LV and Gucci is because I work hard for my money, appreciate quality and can afford it.

i'm asian and i don't know why too LOL

but i heard someone said to me that this guy was telling a story to my friend's mother about the way business goes to his hands.
see, when he got a benefit from his first business deal for let's say 500$, he would spent it on a mont blanc pen, because he said that teh mont blanc pen would give him more dignity and gain more trust from his next deal when he signed a contract with that pen.
people's first impression was that he's a successful business man and he's trusted. he only use good quality products and luxurious trusted brand, that meant that he appreciated art, design, quality and that should reflect his work LOL

shallow, but hey, i do think it works sometimes.
when u signed a 10.000$ deal with a guy using a 5$ ugly looking pen than with a 500$ pen, my first impression would goes to the later one too. although it can't guaranteed anything, but it is the image i captured first.

Ya, men do look at what other men are using when it comes to pen or if they're wearing a nice watch. :yes:

This is INCREDIBLY inane and stupid. I won't mince words when it comes to topics like this one.

I assure you that the MAJORITY of Asian people (hello, do you know how large China is?) do not give a hoot about major brands. Besides: WHO CARES? Why bother stereotyping?

I don't think this topic is "inane and stupid". Yes, percentage-wise, the majority of asian people cannot afford luxury items, but JUST the top 5-10% of the population who are willing to buy luxury goods in China is, in absolute terms, MUCH more than that of any western country.
Also this is NOT a stereotype because it's a fact amongst the booming Chinese economy, and this is also a fact of how things are in Asia. Everything discussed is simply an observation of truth of what the trend is. By using the word stereotype, there is an air of negativity; there is nothing wrong with loving luxury.

I don't think this topic is "inane and stupid". Yes, percentage-wise, the majority of asian people cannot afford luxury items, but JUST the top 5-10% of the population who are willing to buy luxury goods in China is, in absolute terms, MUCH more than that of any western country.
Also this is NOT a stereotype because it's a fact amongst the booming Chinese economy, and this is also a fact of how things are in Asia. Everything discussed is simply an observation of truth of what the trend is. By using the word stereotype, there is an air of negativity; there is nothing wrong with loving luxury.

It is undeniable that the Chinese economy is booming. But do the majority of Chinese love luxury and can they afford luxury? Regardless of whether being luxury-loving is a positive or negative stereotype to assign Asians, all stereotypes are ultimately ridiculous and harmful.

And FYI, because you've never heard of a word does not mean it doesn't exist. Editted: I see that you've removed your original quote: "Is inane even a word, do you mean insane?" I guess you looked up the word "inane" for yourself, but here it is again.

From Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: 1inane
Pronunciation: i-'nAn
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): inan·er; -est
Etymology: Latin inanis
Date: 1662
1 : [SIZE=-1]EMPTY[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]INSUBSTANTIAL[/SIZE]
2 : lacking significance, meaning, or point : [SIZE=-1]SILLY[/SIZE]
synonym see [SIZE=-1]INSIPID[/SIZE]
- inane·ly adverb
- inane·ness /-'nAn-n&s/ noun

I am Asian and this is what I think:

1) Awhile back, we don't have banking systems, so what you have on your body, defines how much you're worth. Like wearing a lot of jewerly for example. Now, it's their bags and cars.

2) Tourists are usually the one who have money, that's why they visiting places. Therefore, seeing them buying luxury items, doesn't mean the rest of the people in their country are that rich.

3) Most Asians are very insecure. Usually, the one who doesn't have much, don't want people to know that. So they will try and try to "cover" it. They will buy this and that to measure up with their friends or neighbors. For some, they will talk **** about other people or played it down and saying stuff like "She is crazy to spend that much $$$ on that piece of sh$t".

But of course, they are people who can really afford it and there is nothing wrong with that. I mean, they deserve it and that's just their normal lifestyles.

I think it's okay to buy whatever you want with your hard-earned money. I mean, who(all races) doesn't want to have the best of the best? Just don't buy things and try to measure up to others when you really can't afford to.

P.S. Some Asian are very "thrifty" in other areas, so they have extra $$$ to spend designer stuff.

It is undeniable that the Chinese economy is booming. But do the majority of Chinese love luxury and can they afford luxury? Regardless of whether being luxury-loving is a positive or negative stereotype to assign Asians, all stereotypes are ultimately ridiculous and harmful.

And FYI, because you've never heard of a word does not mean it doesn't exist. Editted: I see that you've removed your original quote: "Is inane even a word, do you mean insane?" I guess you looked up the word "inane" for yourself, but here it is again.

From Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: 1inane
Pronunciation: i-'nAn
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): inan·er; -est
Etymology: Latin inanis
Date: 1662
1 : [SIZE=-1]EMPTY[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]INSUBSTANTIAL[/SIZE]
2 : lacking significance, meaning, or point : [SIZE=-1]SILLY[/SIZE]
synonym see [SIZE=-1]INSIPID[/SIZE]
- inane·ly adverb
- inane·ness /-'nAn-n&s/ noun

I agree but what I think is ridiculous is that you actually think we can live in a world without sterotypes -i prefer positives ones then negatives- if them thinking we all can afford better and therefore cater to us and treat us better

Why not? Especially if there's truth behind it

Just remember there will always be assumptions-its human nature-we like to know who we are dealing with

I agree but what I think is ridiculous is that you actually think we can live in a world without sterotypes -i prefer positives ones then negatives- if them thinking we all can afford better and therefore cater to us and treat us better

Why not? Especially if there's truth behind it

Just remember there will always be assumptions-its human nature-we like to know who we are dealing with

I like to know who I'm dealing with as well. I deal with people as individuals: I'm not so small-minded as to need to stereotype an entire group of people in order to "know who we are dealing with."

Anyway, my participation in this thread is over. Ciao!

Asian-American checking in here. :smile:

It's a combination of factors:
1) In most Asian countries, luxury European brands didn't become available for sale until the last generation or so.
2) In most Asian countries, buying power didn't match that of Western countries until the last generation or so.
3) Many Asian cultures historically have emphasized quality, quality, quality: in ALL things including education, cuisine, life achievement, etc.

So it makes sense that the explosion in popularity of designer brands in Asia was a somewhat recent phenomenon. They appreciate and desire the high-quality goods that have become available and are now affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.