Why can't I be happy with the bags I have?

I think the most difficult thing for Coach addicts is that they have new styles so often. Think about it....new bags come out at the end of every month....then the reveals start making you want to get one for yourself....that goes on for a week or two then the talk starts about the new floorset, and you are ready to covet bags you have never seen IRL that have not yet hit the boutique. But you have got to have them.

You may have already seen the styles IRL hitting the outlets, but their floorsets change frequently too. That being the case even the outlet shoppers are caught up in the cycle... and for those of us who can't get to an outlet, we all know once the bags hit the outlet, they will hit the bay in droves, so it almost unavoidable. And the outlet shoppers spend just as much as the boutique shoppers, because you can't leave the outlet with just one thing, can you?

It's Coach's little plot for world domination one handbag at a time :smile:

Why so many bags? Well, bags never make your feet hurt like shoes do. They never make you look fat like jeans do. You never have to go up a size like in designer dresses. A new bag can make the same old go-to outfit look new again. And just when you think you have "the one" you decide that you need it in every color. Or you discover tPF and completely go crazy.
In other words, I'm with you, sister!

While this probably doesn't solve anything, well put! ^^ and ITA!

For me part of the problem is not using what I have (and I don't have that much). When I bought the large black Zoe (which I returned today) I really hadn't had my black Ergo tote out much. But I did pull it out and use it, and I feel really good about returning the Zoe. For a week or so there I thought I wanted a Maggie, but then I realized that I don't love her lining so I'm not willing to pay FP for her.

I went overboard in June. I was able to correct some of that today, but I still have a few bags that I should have thought over more thoroughly before buying and using them. My Bonnie bought during PCE is my lesson on buying a bag I like but don't love, especially as it hit the outlets 6 weeks later.

I see June as a learning time for me. What kind of Coach shopper am I? How much time am I willing to put into scouting bargains? How much money? What kind of compromises am I willing to make? What do I personally consider excessive? I don't have all of the answers yet, but I know a lot more than I did before.

My copper Zoe is an example of getting it right ~ different from everything else I have and I love it at the price point I got it for. I am happy with her and so I try to carry that feeling with me when I start thinking I want another bag.

I totally agree with the OP. Based on this and one other thread started today, I really got to thinking. Last night my BFF told me that she may be going on a trip and wanted me to go with her. We looked up flight prices and I was like, well if I go I'll have to give up a handbag for that month! When on earth did I start HAVING to have a bag a month.
So from all of this, I've decided that I'm really going to slow down my coach purchases. I'm going to try to limit myself to one every 3-4 months. To get me motivated and to hopefully stay on track I proclaimed this to DH as well as to a few of my closest friends. Hopefully their support will help keep me on track. Now I've just got to block ebay from my comp and try to wean myself off of tPF for a while. In the end though, I think it'll definitely be worth it to enjoy all of the bags that I do have and I can also go and do fun things and not have to worry about giving up a handbag in place of something else or vice versa.

^You know, Nina_B, I thought of that too for the longest time!^ :yes:

It's the only explanation for this dreadful Coach addiction! :shrugs: I've never used (or ever will use) crack but I can imagine it's something like this. :weird:

I think the amount of bags is what made me start to think of higher end. I mean, if a bag is a couple thousand $$ I'm going to really think about it! I could probably only afford one every other year.

Coach makes us feel better because they are cheaper, but then we wind up spending waaay more than we would if we bought one really expensive bag.

it's mind over matter...really...only YOU can keep yourself from taking that plunge, swiping that card and buying that bag...only YOU can be happy with what you have...if you are not happy, then perhaps you are missing something else in your life and you are trying to fill the void with bags???

also...give yourself limits and hold yourself accountable...for example...i'll add a ton of things to my ebay watch list...i will put a note in the watch list that says ...DON'T Bid OVER $XX...if it goes over that amount...i will remove it from my list! and 99% of the time it pops up again for WAY less! ( and let me tell you it feels great to remove things..like a burden is lifted!!!) it's worth the wait! it's NOT worth feeling remorse and regret over later because i paid too much...i weight how much I want that item with what i want to pay to get it...it's a very logical approach

same thing with outlets...i go in with the absolute MAX i want to spend...no more that say $150 dollars, which is usually what I will do. If I see a purse that goes over that amount, I won't take it...chances are I can get it at a better price later...the goal is to be accountable to YOURSELF!!!

it's hard when coming to the forum and seeing people buy and buy and buy...does it make them any happier? probably not...they buy for instant and self gratification...that's not the reason to buy...you should buy if it truly makes you happy...not if it's a good deal...KWIM? it's easy to see through things like that...people who buy the latest and greatest...only to return it because they ordered "sight unseen" and weren't happy...they should have waited...not bought it so they can rush over to the purse forum to post!

sorry to get all serious and philosophical on you...but buy because you are going to truly enjoy it! buy consciously, not subconsciously!!! buy it becuase you will LOVE it and USE it!

Last edited:
^You know, Nina_B, I thought of that too for the longest time!^ :yes:

It's the only explanation for this dreadful Coach addiction! :shrugs: I've never used (or ever will use) crack but I can imagine it's something like this. :weird:

Oh goodness me either...Just had to think of something that was extremly addictive!;)