White Spots on Your Hermes Bags?

lilyhermes

O.G.
Apr 23, 2008
I'm not sure if this has been addressed previously, but I learned an interesting little tidbit today from Hermes.

I was looking at bags in the Atlanta store, and the SA pointed to one that had been in stock for a while and said, "looks like I've got to get the hair dryer out." Huh? I've read that Hermes actually irons the skins on croc. Birkins and Kellys in the final finishing stage, but I'd never heard of woman's best friend, the trusty hair dryer being used on precious H. bags.

She asked me if I noticed a couple of small white spots and explained that they'd due to the fat in the skins coming to the surface, which she said is normal and nothing to be concerned about. She then showed me a large black Togo travel Birkin, and I noticed what appeared to be two inch-long white "scuffs" at the bottom of the bag. Not scuffs at all or paint - only the residual fat from the skins coming to the surface.

To correct the problem, all one has to do is take a hair dryer, hold it a couple of inches away from the leather and move it over the spots until the fat "melts" and sinks back into the leather.

So, if white spots develop on your bag, don't panic, just run and get your hair dryer!:biggrin:

Liberté;11155721 said:
How I wish it was as easy as that for us to loose the excessive fat as well... Two minutes of blow drying in the morning and voilà! Thin as a pin!

You're so right, Liberte and mou mou. Wouldn't that be wonderful! I'd even put up with five minutes!

Sorry I don't buy the fat story. Know of someone who had to take back her bag repeatedly to have the white spots removed. It was glue.

Who knows, grace? I suppose some bags could have simple "fat" problems, while others might suffer from glue. I do know, though, that the white "scuffs" on the travel Birkin weren't near any seams or straps or parts that would have been glued (to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know that Hermes uses glue except maybe to adhere the hardware plates). They were on the front body of the bag near the bottom.

I should have stayed around for the fat removal demonstration!

Definitely works! Happened on my clemence Lindy - I put the dryer to it for a few seconds and removed the residue with a toothpick and a gentle hand. I had about 4 smallish spots and one pretty good splotch show up. They have never returned. :biggrin:

There are several threads about this somewhere, but not sure where they ended up.

Definitely works! Happened on my clemence Lindy - I put the dryer to it for a few seconds and removed the residue with a toothpick and a gentle hand. I had about 4 smallish spots and one pretty good splotch show up. They have never returned. :biggrin:

There are several threads about this somewhere, but not sure where they ended up.

Good to know that it actually works, irish. I recalled a previous thread too but for the life of me, couldn't find it!

I just found white spots on my new Birkin and I can promise you this is my last Hermes bag. I have two Hermes bags and it's just not worth it to pay this much for a bag and have any issues with ugly white spots. I baby my bags and take good care of them. Now to know that it takes 6 months for Paris to make a decision on whether it's fixable or not. Then you have to wait to get another one for 6 months to a year? Meanwhile you are out over 10k. Very frustrating and disappointing.

I just found white spots on my new Birkin and I can promise you this is my last Hermes bag. I have two Hermes bags and it's just not worth it to pay this much for a bag and have any issues with ugly white spots. I baby my bags and take good care of them. Now to know that it takes 6 months for Paris to make a decision on whether it's fixable or not. Then you have to wait to get another one for 6 months to a year? Meanwhile you are out over 10k. Very frustrating and disappointing.

Darling just to let you know white spots are more common when you baby the bag or keep them in storage its very simple leather is a living material if it does not move flex etc the first step to auto protect. so generates its own moist after this it will eventually crack im not sure what the issue was with your particular bag but..............don't baby them that much.

my technique is very simple i place the bag on a stool an from a far blow warm air from a blow dryer it disappears back into the pore and leather it is though from a far the air must hit the bag as a warm breeze ........hope it helps .....birkel