Which Birkin for diaper/mommy bag

Which Birkin size is better for a diaper/mommy bag?

• Birkin 35

Votes: 56 86.2%
  • Birkin 30

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters
My baby just turned 1. I considerably carry less and only the essentials + just-in-cases
i normally do: 3 diapers, 2 onesies (just in case of a blow out - this isn't as prevalent anymore though), wipes, sunscreen, hat, cloth (to wipe mouth), a toy, a book, and snacks. When she was younger, I also used to carry a light blanket, but now sits in the car, a lunch bag with a bottle, spare milk in breastmilk storage bag, etc.)

A b35 may fit most of those plus your essentials, but I found it easier to carry a small crossbody for all my stuff, and a separate bag for baby things. I'd say up until she was a few months old, I felt like I was too frazzled - and that's having a full time help. Someone mentioned it above, but there's just a lot of liquid (milk, saliva), along with other environmental things you want to watch out for your nice bag. And that's not even considering extra caution you'll have to take with people eyeing your bag (i.e. you'll be an easier target - though im normally more paranoid being in the Bay Area). YMMV, but just plan for worst case scenario.

And congratulations! If you're a FTM, it may take a bit of time getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it! My Chanels are back out (though im still only using cross bodies for now) and I'm a diaper bag pro for any outings!

I think if you are using a stroller, you could use a Birkin 30 for essential diaper/wipes, the other stuff you could fit in the storage at the bottom; Birkin 35 would fit most everything but be pretty heavy. Either bag seems fairly cumbersome being handheld only, especially having to carry the baby at any point. It also depends if you'll need room for bottles, etc. I used a 30 after my baby was over a year old, but didn't require frequent diaper changes/extra outfits anymore so I didn't need to pack much for shorter outings and I kept extras in the stroller/car.

Reactions: Classy Collector
If it must be Hermès, a Victoria could be the best.
Anyway you will ruin your diaper bag within 2 weeks, I suggest you just use a good old Eastpak for baby stuff and wear your B when you're spending a day alone.
I wear my nice bags too rarely, but with a young child they are so mistreated.

If it must be Hermès, a Victoria could be the best.
Anyway you will ruin your diaper bag within 2 weeks, I suggest you just use a good old Eastpak for baby stuff and wear your B when you're spending a day alone.
I wear my nice bags too rarely, but with a young child they are so mistreated.
Wow within two weeks! :biggrin: It looks like most end up using two bags. May have to use Evelyne crossbody plus another bag. Thanks!

Thanks! Which size of Garden Party does she have, and how is it better than Birkin?
She has a garden party 36 and holds most of the things she needs, plus the handles are long enough for her to wear comfortably as a shoulder bag. She just prefer it over a birkin because it's roomier and much lighter. A B35 will not hold as much as a garden party 36 and much heavier after you put all the stuff in it. She's also in the bay area where robbery has been an ongoing issue so she feels safer using bags that are more low key and won't draw attention when she's out with the baby running errands.

Reactions: Classy Collector
She has a garden party 36 and holds most of the things she needs, plus the handles are long enough for her to wear comfortably as a shoulder bag. She just prefer it over a birkin because it's roomier and much lighter. A B35 will not hold as much as a garden party 36 and much heavier after you put all the stuff in it. She's also in the bay area where robbery has been an ongoing issue so she feels safer using bags that are more low key and won't draw attention when she's out with the baby running errands.
Makes sense! Thanks for sharing. I can see GP is definitely more under the radar than B.

Throwing out another suggestion… why not get a great functional true diaper bag and get a B30 or B35 for yourself to have (or Kelly or Evelyne):graucho:
PS Dior also makes a nice diaper bag!

I think this is the approach I’m taking. I told my SA I wanted a K35 for a baby bag but was offered a K28 and suggested it as a good mom bag and to use a more traditional diaper bag for the risky stuff! I thought it was a great suggestion and took the K28. I’ve been happy with the decision so far!

Just remember that most places (not at home of course) where you are changing nappies are pure grot.... As a dad with seven kids, my wife and I have a home-made bag (my mum is a quilter/sewer) that is size specific and also is practical to throw everything in! You don't want a special bag for babies... it will be ruined. When the baby is covered with body fluids, when you look at the public shopping centre nursing room bench (ewwwww) and all the other places that will TOUCH THE SURFACE OF YOUR HERMES BAG - you will wish you had a functional-chic-courture-but-homemade bag as you will want to throw it into the washing machine from time to time!

You won't have time to spend hours cleaning the Hermes nappy bag with gloves and cotton buds.

Save your money and put it towards something that won't make you stress when you need to deal with ....... life's 8 times daily reminders that we are organic creatures!

ScarfBloke.

I’m holding my newborn in my arms at the moment. He is my third. I’ve been through many trial and errors in the diaper bag department. My answer to this is no Birkin at all of ANY size should be used as a diaper bag. As someone else suggested, get the Birkin or any other bag for YOU, and something else for the baby’s things.