Where to place bag when in restaurant?

Yeah, probably the restaurant then has a secure cloakroom. Where you could leave your bag and request it when needed. That how it works in some of the restaurants in London but some of the modern restaurants also have a hook under the table ;) Even once saw the the chairs had some space to safely store a small handbag :smile:

Anyways, I think you supposed to only have an evening clutch bag ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheikha Latifa
Yeah, probably the restaurant then has a secure cloakroom. Where you could leave your bag and request it when needed. That how it works in some of the restaurants in London but some of the modern restaurants also have a hook under the table ;) Even once saw the the chairs had some space to safely store a small handbag :smile:

Anyways, I think you supposed to only have an evening clutch bag ;)
I wouldn't want to leave it in a cloakroom. I need my purse with me. Sometimes I have to put on more lip balm during the meal. I'm the one who pays so I need access to my credit cards.

I've never seen little tables for hangbags and I've eaten in many fine dining places in the US.
Finally. It’s not just in my head.
A restaurant cannot call itself a fine dining place without those. Not providing them is like having paper serviettes or plastic bottles on the table

I think this is cultural. In Europe you don't really see seats for chairs in (fine) restaurants (although I am sure there are restaurants providing them now depending on their clients expectations). Actually, in many a fine restaurant it would be considered bad taste.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Oh that makes more sense :smile:
Yes, it's not as common in Europe then other parts of the world. But I have seen them at the Michelin restaurants inside five star hotels, though. Definitely not at the modern/arty fine dining restaurants.

I asked my mother she occasionally would have used a bunch of napkins and but the handbag on the floor between her feet.

Since we’re talking about purse hangers I have to put a plug in for my beloved Hookups. They are super cute hanging on my bags and come in three colors to match to my bag’s hardware.

All phots are from Google. These are NOT my bags 780C5DA3-71E4-4660-9A0B-F91ABB3B9DEB.jpegFB641487-1245-49D7-ADA4-E6630B0991D7.jpeg6555D5FE-6889-4AB6-88E6-12584B2D2FE4.jpeg

Reactions: Lilybarb
I've never heard of purse chairs! Love the concept.
I put my bag on a seat beside me (if available) or hang off the back of my chair. If I have a small WOC and I'm in a space where I feel it might be stolen off the back of my chair, I'll put it on the table as a last resort.
Never on my lap at meals (only in theatres)

Maybe you should start asking for them to let restaurants know that there is demand?
I don’t understand how making a customer comfortable and providing a place for a bag (other than your lap or the floor) may be considered “bad taste” as someone said before. It is definitely a better taste than putting a bag on the table [emoji4]
IMG_3462.JPG

Last edited: