When you have to work hard to buy your own LV...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the bags I have, except my Speedy that's a gift from my nana, came from the money I saved as I was a student. My parents and granparents used to give me money for Xmas, b-days, degree etc. I feel guilty to use them for bags, I felt not so guilty for the Guccis bags but now I feel a bit for the Chanel one.
Now I'm doing a practical work that's not paid and I must do it for 2 years and another more year will pass untill I have a real income, so this is really frustrating for me... but I will try to save and save to buy something new - I agree, this way you appreciate thing the most! :smile:

Hahaha I called it!! I knew the flaming would start eventually!!

I think the bottom line (IMO) is that generally people appreciate the value of things much more when they've worked hard for them. I was brought up that way and I genuinely believe it to be true.

I'm not saying people who have LV bags given to them don't appreciate them....BUT I will say that in my experience people who have been brought up having everything given to them seem to have a much different attitude about these things than people who have had to save every cent to buy what they want.

Again, this is just in my experience....

But I think that people are misunderstanding her generalization. If you go back and read through this whole thread the funny thing is that the people who HAVE been given gifts of this nature are taking offense and the ones who have NEVER been given a gift of this nature understand exactly what she's saying.

Of course if a loved one gives you a gift you are going to love and appreciate it no matter what it is. But that is different than the feeling that an individual gets when they have worked hard for something (anything) and feels a sense of accomplishment in what they have done for themselves.
I know what you mean, but having experienced both, I feel like someone who hasn't received such gifts isn't in a position to say what such people feel. You're totally right that it's a different feeling and, for me, I appreciate things even more when they're given to me as a gift. I've had no trouble selling lots of bags that I've bought on my own, but I've kept all the ones that my family has given to me.

I just feel that a generalization was made that really wasn't appropriate and didn't really have a place here, where we should just be talking about the bags we love--who cares who appreciates what more, really?

But I think that people are misunderstanding her generalization. If you go back and read through this whole thread the funny thing is that the people who HAVE been given gifts of this nature are taking offense and the ones who have NEVER been given a gift of this nature understand exactly what she's saying.

Of course if a loved one gives you a gift you are going to love and appreciate it no matter what it is. But that is different than the feeling that an individual gets when they have worked hard for something (anything) and feels a sense of accomplishment in what they have done for themselves.

I actually have to disagree with you. Hahaha

I have NEVER been given my LV. I'm single and independent and work for my bags. I didn't take offense at the whole gift thing as I think it's rude to make assumptions about people. One can NEVER assume to know how other people feel about things. Period.

I vote this thread be closed!

I think that I unintentional struck a nerve with certain people but, that probably relates more to them and their situation rather than me. People who have had to acquire their own LV regardless of gifts or no gifts understand my point and where I am coming from. Making observations and comments based on your own life or situation really should not offend. It is simply sharing your point of view and how you feel in relation to others in your life (collegue, friends, friends children etc.) Either you understand or you do not and then you say, "well that relates to you not me". It is okay to discuss different points of view without taking offense. Thank you Traci for understanding what I was saying. Not sure why some people are making personal attacks when I was not referring to them or their situation but, rather my own.

Hahaha I called it!! I knew the flaming would start eventually!!

I think the bottom line (IMO) is that generally people appreciate the value of things much more when they've worked hard for them. I was brought up that way and I genuinely believe it to be true.

I'm not saying people who have LV bags given to them don't appreciate them....BUT I will say that in my experience people who have been brought up having everything given to them seem to have a much different attitude about these things than people who have had to save every cent to buy what they want.

Again, this is just in my experience....

Thank you:yes: :yes: :yes: ...from my experience these are my observation...nothing personal here so do not know why some people take offence....:shrugs: ...this is in relation to my circle and life...I have no clue about people on tpf and do not wish to or pass judgement...maybe some people did not read the post right:shrugs: ...glad that you got it and understand

With all due respect LVPUG, Haven't you posted this a long time ago? We all get that you are independent, more power to ya, but the threads are supposed to be about Louis Vuitton: purses, wallets, bags, luggage, etc. There is a "money" section if you want to gripe about that. We are here for our love for LV...there should be no division based on socioeconomic standing.

I'm glad I wasn't the only who noticed that this HAS been done before by the OP. If you want to brag or vent about your personal life, I personally would appreciate it if you took it elsewhere. Maybe talk to someone like a close friend who cares, because quite frankly I don't.

Well, I don't know, if you read the original post, isn't she mostly talking about herself? I thought she was refering to herself, and her observations about life around her?

So, I mean, if that is her opinion, she's certainly entitled to it, just like the rest of you are entitled to yours.

But I think as adults there is no reason to speak rudely to each other. We're all purse sisters here and should act like it!! :smile:

I'm glad I wasn't the only who noticed that this HAS been done before by the OP. If you want to brag or vent about your personal life, I personally would appreciate it if you took it elsewhere. Maybe talk to someone like a close friend who cares, because quite frankly I don't.
My feelings exactly.

I actually have to disagree with you. Hahaha

I have NEVER been given my LV. I'm single and independent and work for my bags. I didn't take offense at the whole gift thing as I think it's rude to make assumptions about people. One can NEVER assume to know how other people feel about things. Period.

I vote this thread be closed!

I vote that you respect others opinions and that you are respected in turn. You read something into the post than what was intended. If you would like me to go through my post word for word and explain the intention I will gladly do so. No need to argue or be silly for no good reason. Read all the posts that I have posted for clarification or PM me because this is ridiculous behaviour and there was no bad intention etc.. This thread was not to provoke a hot topic but, rather I was reflecting on the people around me and how they take for granted their LV and I am so darn grateful. How it got passed that is beyond me and your own issue so, if the thread bothers you ignore it or pm me for clarification. Perhaps in the posts I should of name to people in my life that I was referring to but, wanted to keep it anonymous because it is a collegue of mine. Did not think that I had to post every detail...please relax this is soo silly IMO. Thanks for your point of view nonetheless but, I think it is time to just drop it!!! Thanks

Done before??? enlighten me please.....why post on a thread and be rude...for someone who does not care you sure seem like you do...sorry if I struck a nerve with you...not sure why???

Come on ladies, it's Christmas.....don't be mean to each other. :smile:

I agree with tr444..let's just drop it and talk about what we love...BAGSSS!!! who cares how one acquires them...as long as we have them and they make us go :nuts: :smile: :heart: :love: then we're all gooood! C'mon guys..there's too much bad stuff going around the world around us that we can't make our (well at least MY) escape be a place where we don't want to go anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.