When did it really hit you you have a handbag "problem?"

My story is: in August of 2007 I had a major heart attack. Then in July 2009 I was diagnosed with diabetes. December 2012 I saw a dooney outlet sign that said 50 percent off entire store. I always had Kmart bags and was happy. I went into that dooney store and bought a Olive flo satchel. I thought this will make me better. My attack left damage to my heart and I have coronary artery disease. I continued to buy bags as they made me feel good. In March of 2013 I was diagnosed with m.s. I bought more bags. About a year ago I realized I'm still a sick woman and the bags didn't make me healthy but they did make me happy. I now have about 40 dooneys. No one dares to say anything as my 24/7 pain is something they watch me suffer through. I M now 53 yeRs old, in constant pain,take twelve pills and 2 needles per day but I have my dooneys.
Good for you, do what makes you happy.

I was never a handbag nut until about 5 or 6 years ago. I bought my first Dooney, a red tote for work on sale at Macys. Then maybe 1 or 2 a year after that. Then the Florentines came out and I knew I was in trouble. My crazy buying spree came at a time when my sister in law was diagnosed with Lymphoma. Then you realize how fragile life can be, you can't take your money with you so if you want it, get it. But don't break the bank doing it.
Then again, being in recovery mode with my knee, finding this forum, and watching Q doesn't help matters either. :nuts:

Ummm.....I am still going with I am ok, DH would tell you differently. Two years ago I put myself on an annual handbag budget and I do ok with it. So This is one reason I love "as is" if they are good ones. I am able to get more of what I want and stay with the allotted annual amount :biggrin:. The budget also helps me be pickier....will I really wear this one, etc.
Each gal has to do whatever works for them.

haha LOVE IT!! and yes, clearance, out let, "as is" ILD, I absolutely CANNOT purchase any bag at full price.

I've just recently reached a point where I can purchase higher quality bags. I got rid of every one I had (24) and started all over. In the last 8 months I have bought 5 Dooneys and 5 Brahmins. Also a brahmin wallet and 5 tassel key rings, Dooney coin purse and cosmetic bag. It would be very easy to go over the edge, but this forum helps me "get it out of my system"...talk it through, if you know what I mean. Does that make sense?
I certainly understand the obsession. This Fall will be a huge test when all the new bags come out. Hubby clearly stated that I now have plenty and to get no more. He is right I do have plenty but...

Yes. and good luck this fall...u might want to stay away from tpf if you don't want to buy anything lol

I consider myself a late bloomer when it comes to bags, so I'm just making up for lost time. I have the disposable income at this point in my life, otherwise I wouldn't buy any bags.

excellent, I have a monthly limit, and pretty much stick to it. I do the "rollover" thing though. If I don't spend my "allowance" this month, I can buy a more expensive bag next without regrets. or on the flipside, if I go over my budget, need to make up for it next month etc.

I can stop anytime I want. (looks around to to determine if others are convinced). :coolio:

uhhhhhh NOPE...not convinced at all!

My story is: in August of 2007 I had a major heart attack. Then in July 2009 I was diagnosed with diabetes. December 2012 I saw a dooney outlet sign that said 50 percent off entire store. I always had Kmart bags and was happy. I went into that dooney store and bought a Olive flo satchel. I thought this will make me better. My attack left damage to my heart and I have coronary artery disease. I continued to buy bags as they made me feel good. In March of 2013 I was diagnosed with m.s. I bought more bags. About a year ago I realized I'm still a sick woman and the bags didn't make me healthy but they did make me happy. I now have about 40 dooneys. No one dares to say anything as my 24/7 pain is something they watch me suffer through. I M now 53 yeRs old, in constant pain,take twelve pills and 2 needles per day but I have my dooneys.

my prayers are with you!! And thanx for sharing your story!

Well. Before Christmas I'd never owned a handbag in my life.
By July I have eight of them!!
....is that BAD??? :shrugs:

don't look at it as 8 since December...see it is as 1'ish per month. That just sounds better!! ;)

Hehe same happened to me.i started collecting dooney after Christmas. Now I have 12 bags already and 2 bags are coming in mail from DE outlet.

see above comment, only 1.5'ish per month haha

No, that's GOOD...started back in April and have about 15-20 now.

see above comment, only 2'ish per month. get the drift ladies...break it down by month, and it sounds so reasonable!! haha [that's probably how I got myself into this predicament]

I definitely have a a handbag problem and, as you see, I am wandering into Doonies where I have never been before. It's a new horizon! I've always loved leather goods and even made rugged, whole-grain cowhide handbags in my past. But like many on this Forum, I spent a lot of years just using a few bags and buying one new one when I needed it

My problem started as a stress releaser during a period when I had to be "on" all the time solving problems and taking care of others. But now I think it's converted into a kind of obsessive thoughts/compulsive behavior situation. I've never had any problem like this but bags have become an almost unhealthy focus and I act on it so I have many more bags than I can use. That's about 30, and some of those are seasonal so it's not the worst problem, but it's the amount of mental energy I put into it that seems like it needs some work to bring it back into balance. If you purely do the math, I can only use each bag about 12 times a year. It's like I feel a responsibility to use the bags and yet I can't use them enough because there just isn't enough time to do that so there's a stress that comes with owning them while they sit untouched for months. Yet I am still immersed in the fascinating world of handbags. I see that many people who have as many bags as I do or more don't stress over not using them but I have always had this pull to be using all my bags and downright guilt when I'm not. Without these feelings, I might be all right because I do let go of the bags that don't work for me and I buy a lot of pre-loved bags so I'm not too over-the-top, at least by TPF standards. But I still need to do some work on the obsessive focus on bags. I love it and I don't really like it!

we definitely don't want to see you stressed. Perhaps you can sell or give some away...ORRRRRRRRR use this to boost up your social calendar. For instance, I will take a bag to work, then after work, meet for happy hour or date night, so I'll go home and change, and switch up my bag as well. And on weekends, may go out in the evening, so I'll switch it up again. Before, it used to be my job to be so social, but now, It's just habit, and I get to really roate through many of my bags, and then of course there are seasons as well, so that ensures you get thru all of them. take that lemon and turn it into lemonade!!

Love reading everyone's stories. I've been collecting vintage dooneys for awhile now.i love the fact that they are very affordable .I think I'm up to 25? I'm especially fond of red bags. I also collect Balenciaga and Botikers

and that's the pull. low'ish prices,and very high quality

Wow! All these stories and comments mean more than the bags.if this is what having a bag obsession does, then I'm glad I do. I have never spoke to a nicer group of people. We have our different stories but we are all together. We should all be proud of ourselves
Thank you all!

yes ma'am. I love the Dooney group

I guess it really hit me when I was trying to rearrange them and two of them fell on my feet (no pun intended :biggrin:). Plus I was thinking of the timeline in my head of when I got them all and I realized I'd buy 2 bags a month which resulted in 12 Dooney bags and 2 Coach since January of this year. I put myself on a ban in June but it seems like it's been forever when it's only been since one month. I'm just counting down the days until November or December when my ban ends and I'll be in bag heaven making up for lost time. :graucho:

it's always the re-arranging that gets you. I found out I had so many more Gucci's than I though I had initially, because of the way they were stored, and also the lie [call a spade a spade] I kept telling hubby about the number of Gucci bags I had [number been the same since 2011 haha], even when he'd be like, this looks like more than 13 *side eye*...to which I'd respond, oh no babes, it's only 13, I guess I started believing it myself hahaha [I'm sure I'm' the ONLY one who actually "believed" that number]. But I purchased 2 this year, and absconded with 5 from my mom.

Did I write this??? For the past 5 or 6 years I have been on a handbag binge, sprinkled with intermittent episodes of Handbag Guilt. (I hate that.) Like many of you, my kids are grown so I have more free time and more disposable income to waste. :biggrin: I have given away as many bags as I have kept, and that is a lot of bags. When I sat down one day with an inventory and calculated the $$$ invested, it was a HUGE eye-opener, and honestly kind of depressing.

I'm trying really hard to wean myself off the handbag addiction. I began to find that the high of buying the purses was more important than owning them, which is sad. I do best when I avoid TPF and don't open department store emails. :blush: I have a ton of purses and many will never be carried, but I do love owning them.

it is a high, especially getting the bag at a great price. I am addicted to getting a "good bargain!" which is highly subjective by the way

I don't have nearly the numbers some of you might have. But.....I spent TWO entire days in my walk in closet recently to organize, clean, donate and make pretty, JUST so my Dooneys could have their own shelf. My other was appreciative of his nicely folded new space, inspected my handbag shelf, and just smirked. But said nothing! Last night I asked him if the time I was putting into looking at handbags was "getting weird", and he simply shrugged and said his opinion didn't matter if it was making me happy. And right now, it still is! Now, I just need excuses to take them OUT of the closet...

yeah, I mean it's going to be something, they just like to see us happy.

Last edited:
LOL. When my hub noticed me PHOTOGRAPHING my bags I got the side-eye. :roflmfao: I told him it was for "insurance purposes", haha.

My daughter said "Oh my god, HOW many pictures does that purse NEED?" With the first Dooney
Then with the next one and series of pics "Again?"
Then the next one "Sighhhhhhhhh, this is weird Mommy"
Then the next one "Seriously?"
While scrolling through my tablet to find the pic I took of her cat "I can't find it because of ALL THE PURSE PICS!"

I love photographing my bags. and to not have "important" pics get buried among the hundreds [literally] of bag pics, I have a special album on my fon dedicated to handbags. so when I scroll thru pics on my fon to show other ppl I don't get the ...what the he---...side eye. Hubby is one thing, but everyone else...judgment haha

2013 was my year for crazy bag buying! I have only bought 2 bags in 2014 (birthday and anniversary presents) 0 bags in 2015.

are you considering sponsoring anyone lol

Good for you, do what makes you happy.

I was never a handbag nut until about 5 or 6 years ago. I bought my first Dooney, a red tote for work on sale at Macys. Then maybe 1 or 2 a year after that. Then the Florentines came out and I knew I was in trouble. My crazy buying spree came at a time when my sister in law was diagnosed with Lymphoma. Then you realize how fragile life can be, you can't take your money with you so if you want it, get it. But don't break the bank doing it.
Then again, being in recovery mode with my knee, finding this forum, and watching Q doesn't help matters either. :nuts:

my prayers are with u and your family!! and yes, it does put things into perspective.

Love all the stories! I should have logged in on the weekend, wow, this is a long thread.

Sorry I'm doing a group reply but I don't have too much time, but just wanted to say that I'm sending my prayers, best wishes and hugs to all of you Dooney GFs that are going or have gone thru a difficult time. Hang in there!

I'll start a little like IM: 'Hello, My name is MaryBel and I'm a handbag....lover and collector' ....ugh, and maybe addict too :lol:

I got my first Dooney in 2008. It was my first mother's day present and after that I got hooked. I went kind of slow from 2008 to 2011 and got just a few thru those years but in 2011 I got hooked on coach and FOS and it was madness. I got a ton of mostly coach bags. I did get a few Dooneys but not as many since they were not as easy to find (on sale) where I lived as they are now here in WA. I knew that I had a lot of bags bit since they were in different closets all over the house, they didn't seem that many, but now that they are all together in one room, I know I have a lot. I have slowed down lately, a little bit, at least on coach. I only have one MK on my wish list and I think I'll be done with MK too and just a few Dooneys which are not really must haves, more like likes, so I'll be slowing down more in the future.

Hi everyone, I am trying to get my handbag addiction under control too! Up until several years ago I did not go through that many purses and then slowly it is like I built up to costly purses. I started out with some Kathy Van Zealand, then went to Vera Bradley once I discovered the online sales, and then I bought a Dooney on the Q and there has been no stopping me since! I did put myself on a purse ban this year and made it from Christmas Eve to about the middle of May without buying a bag so that was good, but I bought one more this summer. My favorites are Dooneys and Rebecca Minkoff's. My problem is that it so hard to resist a great sale price!!! I really need to stop looking at all. And I know I have a problem because it is like it is almost painful now to pass on a great bag, like today Hautelook/Nordstrom Rack was featuring RM bags and I looked at the site for about an hour. Finally, I resisted buying anything but now I'm sitting here going "I should have gotten that bag!" LOL

Love all the stories! I should have logged in on the weekend, wow, this is a long thread.

Sorry I'm doing a group reply but I don't have too much time, but just wanted to say that I'm sending my prayers, best wishes and hugs to all of you Dooney GFs that are going or have gone thru a difficult time. Hang in there!

I'll start a little like IM: 'Hello, My name is MaryBel and I'm a handbag....lover and collector' ....ugh, and maybe addict too :lol:

I got my first Dooney in 2008. It was my first mother's day present and after that I got hooked. I went kind of slow from 2008 to 2011 and got just a few thru those years but in 2011 I got hooked on coach and FOS and it was madness. I got a ton of mostly coach bags. I did get a few Dooneys but not as many since they were not as easy to find (on sale) where I lived as they are now here in WA. I knew that I had a lot of bags bit since they were in different closets all over the house, they didn't seem that many, but now that they are all together in one room, I know I have a lot. I have slowed down lately, a little bit, at least on coach. I only have one MK on my wish list and I think I'll be done with MK too and just a few Dooneys which are not really must haves, more like likes, so I'll be slowing down more in the future.

Hello MB, welcome...haha

well it sounds like you are getting things under control. I always feel like I am...as long as there is no temptation :sad:

Hi everyone, I am trying to get my handbag addiction under control too! Up until several years ago I did not go through that many purses and then slowly it is like I built up to costly purses. I started out with some Kathy Van Zealand, then went to Vera Bradley once I discovered the online sales, and then I bought a Dooney on the Q and there has been no stopping me since! I did put myself on a purse ban this year and made it from Christmas Eve to about the middle of May without buying a bag so that was good, but I bought one more this summer. My favorites are Dooneys and Rebecca Minkoff's. My problem is that it so hard to resist a great sale price!!! I really need to stop looking at all. And I know I have a problem because it is like it is almost painful now to pass on a great bag, like today Hautelook/Nordstrom Rack was featuring RM bags and I looked at the site for about an hour. Finally, I resisted buying anything but now I'm sitting here going "I should have gotten that bag!" LOL

+1 this is my issue too. addicted to great deals, and scared of regrets/missed opportunities

I don't have a handbag problem, I have a space problem.

you know what...I think we have been misdiagnosed, and all have this "space" issue of which you speak lolol

I know when I spend time at work online shopping for bags!! It's getting a bit ridiculous for me. I blame my recent pay bump earlier this year for enticing me to buy more of everything, especially handbags. Ugh! I just really love looking at them online, even if I don't bite.

I decided awhile ago to not think of it as a problem but to consider myself a handbag enthusiast. It started for me in 2002 when I decided no more cheap purses. I'd had zippers break, linings tear, handles come unstitched. It was similar to deciding on no more cheap shoes but with shoes, I will buy a good pair and use them for quite awhile. With purses, I am constantly looking, lusting, buying and selling off the older ones to fund new. I do have to be more careful now. It seems more difficult to sell preowned bags, I used to get more $ for them. I think now the bags are more accessible to people as well as people who used to say they would never spend that much on a bag, are now spending that much on a bag.

When i stressed out if it was raining or babying it to much. Now it goes better but i have the Louis Vuitton stresa pm bag in monogram and this bag has a lot of vachetta leather [emoji28] i adore her, and i also dressed her up with my Thomas bear from burberry. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1453839414.686829.jpg