Travel When are you likely to travel?

I just got back from an impromptu getaway and spent a week in various hotels. I didn't even think twice about it. Mind you, I'm not in the US and my province has dramatically flattened the curve in the last three months so that might not be helpful for someone not in my position. Every hotel we stayed at had strict protocols they are legally bound to adhere to, and had those protocols posted for guests to view.
I didn't feel the need to re-clean anything or wipe the room down myself, as I wasn't putting things like the remote control in my mouth, or licking counters and doorknobs.
VON1B2, I would feel comfortable in this scenario above too! It sounds lovely.

Hi all! I was wondering others opinions on this... would you feel comfortable staying in a hotel during this pandemic. many are opening back up, but I am not sure I would be comfortable staying in one. Our good friends are trying to convince us to meet up with the kids next month, but I can not envision doing so.... We have been very cautious throughout this crazy time.
luckylove, IMO it depends where the hotel is; how comfortable you are that those you meet will observe the same safety measures; and how much social distance and other precautions will be in place. If I had doubts, I wouldn’t go.

DH and I had hoped to go on our planned trip to Europe this fall, we've had the reservations since last year, but we have now pulled the plug on the trip and have started cancelling reservations. Europe may not allow Americans to travel there for awhile, but that works out fine since this American doesn't want to travel there either lol. Getting caught in a quarantine lockdown overseas or having to be navigate public transportation or standing in lines at museums doesn't sound remotely appealing. Instead, we're going to start planning some of the trips we've wanted to do within the U.S. that have been on our bucket list. Many of these are road trips, so many beautiful western states to explore so we're going to focus on that and maybe do one early fall.

I don't think we will be travelling until next year probably. We used to travel internationally several times a year, and DH traveled abroad for work monthly. But all that has all come to a halt since February, and we (neither DH or the rest of family) have been anywhere. We had a great summer planned and DH and I were going to celebrate our 20th anniversary, but alas, we remained at home. I am not comfortable flying now and thought for a second about getting an RV for a cross-country roadtrip but that didn't happen either. So needless to say, we are getting quite restless since I think this is the longest stretch of time we have gone without travelling anywhere. So for now, we are having fun remembering the memories of some great trips we've had together and wishing for better days soon.
My husband travels both continental US and international every month but he's not been anywhere since February! We are going crazy spending so much time together LOL

I just got back from an impromptu getaway and spent a week in various hotels. I didn't even think twice about it. Mind you, I'm not in the US and my province has dramatically flattened the curve in the last three months so that might not be helpful for someone not in my position. Every hotel we stayed at had strict protocols they are legally bound to adhere to, and had those protocols posted for guests to view.
I didn't feel the need to re-clean anything or wipe the room down myself, as I wasn't putting things like the remote control in my mouth, or licking counters and doorknobs.

Oh, that sounds so lovely to be able to move about with ease and have a lovely change of scenery! Nearby areas here are still such hot spots that I think I will be staying put for some time. I wish we could get a better handle on things and bring down the rates of the virus...

Reactions: 880 and V0N1B2
The situation in Finland is very good considering how things are going in many other places in the world. There's 6 millions of us and two days ago we doubled the amount of daily corona cases by having 12 tested new cases in the country against the usual 2-6 cases per day in the previous weeks.
Social distancing works here - when people said you should to keep a 6ft distance to others, we thought; "That seems a bit too close - can't we just keep the usual 15 ft distance?"...aaanyway, we'll see what happens after a few weeks go by. The goverment just lifted some restrictions and bars, restaurants and cruise ships are open again. This will surely have some impact.

We canceled our plans for a motorhome trip to the Arctic ocean/northern Norway with le BF and mum in early August and chose to stay in Finnish Lapland instead. We'll be driving there in our own car, we've rented a chalet in the woods and our main focus is to stay outdoors/trekking trails as much as possible, avoiding any crowds. It'll be off season in Lapland since July is over and the foleage hasn't begun yet.

We've scratched all plans of any boat or train trips for now, so no weekend trips to Sweden, Estonia, Latvia or any domestic destinations over 4 hrs drive away. Aaaand let's forget about that trip to Copenhagen as well, which was planned for the autumn.

I was told by a friend who is pregnant that in some US states you cannot test positive for covid in the last month. If you do, some hospitals will not allow you to hold the baby once they are born, shown to have all sorts of health benefits. Really scary to think of that happening.

Just had a pretty crazy pandemic experience of moving across the country due to my husband’s (essential) job. Even crazier, I am pregnant and therefore considered high risk— it was certainly an experience.

Yeah...staying in a hotel totally freaks me out right now. I have been told that most bedding aside from sheets isn't usually washed which already grossed me out but now it's even worse.

I spray all my suitcases with insecticide on the outside and keep everything inside. It's extreme but I've yet to bring back anything unwanted. Stayed once in Florida after a bad hurricane and the amount of cockroaches inside made me rethink how I traveled from then on. We put the suitcases in the bathroom only to discover that's where the critters were hiding!

I digress, but I also put most of my clothing in gallon ziplock bags, after an incident where a frozen fish defrosted all over our checked luggage the day before a wedding.....
I would have loved to visit some national parks this summer but just doesn't seem super feasible. Pre-covid, many of the parks require shuttle bus systems and are pretty crowded...now reservations are required at some...with all of that, I would rather just wait.

Maybe an air bnb with a washing machine would be an option. Wash everything when you arrive? Fortunately(?) our biggest risk is other people rather than surfaces but since there's still so much we don't know it all makes me anxious.

Getting on a plane makes my skin crawl right now. No plane trips for me anytime soon, but I would possibly consider a road trip somewhere that is not population dense so I could avoid people and do things like hiking, etc. Still not sure what I would do for accommodations though. Camping would be an option for others but not me (one too many truly awful experiences).

I usually visit family for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I have some elder relatives. No way for me to quarantine for 14 days before seeing them. I probably won't be visiting this year, which makes me really sad but I feel the risk is way too high. I have to take 2-3 forms of public transit and 1-2 flights in each direction, both from major international airports....

You know what worries me about traveling aside from the planes? The hotels. Hotels (even 5 star) barely cleaned before Covid-19, you had to take wipes and clean the remotes and stuff. Scared to drink from the glasses and wouldn’t dare walk bare feet on the carpet. Can you really trust them to thoroughly clean now? The housekeepers are always under pressure to clean rooms for the next occupants and aren’t given enough time and equipment to properly clean even if they are willing to give it a good cleaning.

So our governor announced that the 14-day quarantine requirement is extended until Septemeber. No "testing out" of quarantine. I have to say that I'm relieved because so many of our tourists come from states that have a rising number of cases. If our DOE insists on physically opening the schools, at least that will happen without that first wave of tourists.

I know those who work in the hospitality industry are hurting... unemployment is high.

I normally travel almost every week for work, but my last business trip was at the beginning of March. And on that trip there was already heightened awareness of just how many surfaces we touch and need to wipe down when traveling. No business travel likely for the remainder of the year. My firm does have an important conference scheduled in mid-November (all other conferences we host have been cancelled), but we've moved a few to virtual platforms and expect that to be likely for this one as well. If it is maintained as an in-person event, I would be one of the speakers, but do not really feel comfortable going.... We'll have to see how things progress. Surprisingly, I don't miss the business travel as much as expected, even though it has been my way of life for years.

On the personal travel front - I was slated to go to Spain and Portugal in early April for my first vacation in a few years and am very chagrined about that being cancelled as a vacation was long overdue. Hopefully next year...!

Last edited:
Reactions: doni
Here in the UK travel restrictions are pretty non-existent now with the exception of travelling to Spain. UK residents have a long list of countries they are allowed to visit with no problems, Spain was on the list until two days ago, when it was taken off and now anyone returning from Spain has to self isolate for two weeks at home on their return. You can be fined for not complying with this.

I was meant to go to Mexico this summer, which is allowed as it is on the list, but I cancelled my trip as I did not feel comfortable flying for 11 hours each way. I also wondered how the hotel would work in terms of food, the pool, etc., so I decided to book a little weekend break to London instead. London is a 2 hour drive from our home, so it's completely doable without using public transport.

So our governor announced that the 14-day quarantine requirement is extended until Septemeber. No "testing out" of quarantine. I have to say that I'm relieved because so many of our tourists come from states that have a rising number of cases. If our DOE insists on physically opening the schools, at least that will happen without that first wave of tourists.

I know those who work in the hospitality industry are hurting... unemployment is high.

We postponed our August trip to Ko'olina and were able to get refunds from the Four Seasons, but just credit on Delta. No worries. We go to Ko'olina every Thanksgiving. Hopefully, Moderna or Pfizer will have their vaccine out by then, fingers and toes crossed. I miss my Mom so much. My Mom is 87 years old and this is the longest that my kids and I have gone without seeing her. We typically see her 3 times a year. She lives alone in her own house in Hawaii with her dog since my Dad passed away. She missed my daughter's high school graduation. I hope by November, Moderna or Pfizer will have approved vaccines and my Mom will be among the first to get the shot because she is a beloved Tutu.

Reactions: doni, limom and 880
It is also really hard for me. I looove to plan our travels and invest a lot of time ahead prior to it, so I feel really bummed about it. I still hope that international traveling will be possible end of the year. I started to plan a Safari for 2021 and already have put this on hold, but for December I would lose all my money, given everything is already paid and my insurance doesn't cover pandemics:sad: