Travel When are you likely to travel?

Well... My stomach's all twisty in knots over this news, but our governor announced a "pre-travel testing program" as an alternative to 14-day quarantine upon arrival. This is supposedly starting Aug 1.

Oahu's numbers are comparatively low, but Kauai had a few cases after weeks of none after the inter-island quarantine requirement was lifted. I can only imagine what it might be like as tourism restarts, especially since many of our continental tourists come from states where covid cases are still rising.

I hope they work out all the loopholes prior. I'm a member of some FB travel pages and I'm continually astonished and saddened at how some people are so ANGRY about the quarantine requirement and ANGRY about masks and distancing. All sorts of name-calling being tossed back and forth.
We booked a trip to O'ahu for August 14 -22 to visit my family. We canceled a trip to Italy and England already and this will be our first trip since November. I am very worried because my Mom is 87. We have been very diligent about staying at home and social distancing. We will be taking 2 tests before we get to Hawaii and another after we land. Instead of staying with my Mom, we booked a hotel at Ko'olina and advised the kids that we must wear masks around Lila (grandma in Filipino). I am so glad that Hawaii has been so strict about the COVID restrictions. Hawaii NO KA OI!

Well... My stomach's all twisty in knots over this news, but our governor announced a "pre-travel testing program" as an alternative to 14-day quarantine upon arrival. This is supposedly starting Aug 1.

Oahu's numbers are comparatively low, but Kauai had a few cases after weeks of none after the inter-island quarantine requirement was lifted. I can only imagine what it might be like as tourism restarts, especially since many of our continental tourists come from states where covid cases are still rising.

I hope they work out all the loopholes prior. I'm a member of some FB travel pages and I'm continually astonished and saddened at how some people are so ANGRY about the quarantine requirement and ANGRY about masks and distancing. All sorts of name-calling being tossed back and forth.

This is what happens when a tourist economy opens up. I live in Nevada. My husband is a physician and is already seeing the hospital beds filling up again. This is from the Reno Gazette Journal rgj.com

258524A3-655F-4B50-8F42-43886BCC4F54.jpeg

Reactions: 880 and limom
Update: I ended up going on a mini road trip to spend my 5-day 4th of July weekend with my husband who's attending a work conference about 500 miles away. We did some sightseeing. There's a state mandated masks in public law in effect, so that (and hand washing/sanitizing regularly) on top of social distancing made me feel safe enough to travel. Here's to hoping I was careful enough.

Hopefully next June/July. I had to cancel my trip to Europe this summer, also a cruise in November and a trip to see my parents in Sydney in December. I will lose my ever loving mind if I don't get to travel next summer.

I'm travelling this week due to the passing of a very close relative. Once I arrive I will be put in 14 days quarantine anyway. To be honest I'm not scared about COVID itself as I'm young, healthy and naive. I do take the necessary precautions as I don't want to be an asymptomatic carrier infecting loved ones or getting fined... but not out of fear for myself. I'll only take a cheap canvas bag though as I will be sprayed at least once with desinfectant from head to toe.

We had a Miami trip planned for the end of this month and then Hawaii in September (already cancelled Disney and replaced it with that) but now we've cancelled Miami due to the restaurant shut down and more than likely I see him shutting beaches down again. With Hawaii we will probably cancel that too because to have tests done for our whole family and then possibly have to cancel last minute and be out the money on our flights and accommodations is just too risky. I've planned, canceled and re-planned so many trips this year!! Our girls just got their passports but who knows if we will be able to use them any time soon. Soooo bummed

Reactions: limom and 880
I don't think we will be travelling until next year probably. We used to travel internationally several times a year, and DH traveled abroad for work monthly. But all that has all come to a halt since February, and we (neither DH or the rest of family) have been anywhere. We had a great summer planned and DH and I were going to celebrate our 20th anniversary, but alas, we remained at home. I am not comfortable flying now and thought for a second about getting an RV for a cross-country roadtrip but that didn't happen either. So needless to say, we are getting quite restless since I think this is the longest stretch of time we have gone without travelling anywhere. So for now, we are having fun remembering the memories of some great trips we've had together and wishing for better days soon.

Hopefully next June/July. I had to cancel my trip to Europe this summer, also a cruise in November and a trip to see my parents in Sydney in December. I will lose my ever loving mind if I don't get to travel next summer.
Same. I was supposed to be in Europe two weeks from today. Obviously, that's not happening.

It already sucks that I've had no social life and have been trapped indoors for months. Not getting to recharge on a solo trip abroad next summer is really going to drive me crazy.

Reactions: 880 and limom
We have no trips planned. We were going to go on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in early June but that was cancelled (Celebrity was great about refunds). And we usually go to the Caribbean to dive in the Summer but didn’t book anything. I’m pretty skeptical about being in an airport or getting on a plane any time soon.

Hi all! I was wondering others opinions on this... would you feel comfortable staying in a hotel during this pandemic. many are opening back up, but I am not sure I would be comfortable staying in one. Our good friends are trying to convince us to meet up with the kids next month, but I can not envision doing so.... We have been very cautious throughout this crazy time.

Reactions: 880
Hi all! I was wondering others opinions on this... would you feel comfortable staying in a hotel during this pandemic. many are opening back up, but I am not sure I would be comfortable staying in one. Our good friends are trying to convince us to meet up with the kids next month, but I can not envision doing so.... We have been very cautious throughout this crazy time.
I just got back from an impromptu getaway and spent a week in various hotels. I didn't even think twice about it. Mind you, I'm not in the US and my province has dramatically flattened the curve in the last three months so that might not be helpful for someone not in my position. Every hotel we stayed at had strict protocols they are legally bound to adhere to, and had those protocols posted for guests to view.
I didn't feel the need to re-clean anything or wipe the room down myself, as I wasn't putting things like the remote control in my mouth, or licking counters and doorknobs.

Most likely I won’t be travelling anywhere this year.
I won’t feel comfortable staying in hotel during a pandemic. Even if the hotel has health protocols, there’s no guarantee that other guests don’t have the virus.

Last edited: