What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

I think that there are so many beautiful gemstones out there that are rare. Why does sapphire, emerald, and ruby have to be only precious gemstones. Everything else is semi-precious.

Also I can't stand diamonds. If I ever get engaged/married I want a colorful gemstone.
It's a rarity thing. Those are more expensive + have longer history. "Paraiba" tourmalines and spinel have both joined the pack after demand rocketed up and are >>> supply now.

Fun fact, Amethyst used to be very valuable until huge deposits were discovered.

David Yurman is dated but I still like some of their stuff. I’m mega bored of loves. I’m bored of Hermes clic clac everywhere. I want to see something different. However having said all that, I wear this DY bracelet almost every weekend doing casual errands because it was a gift from DH - to me it doesn’t look *as* dated as the ones people used to wear 10-15 years ago with the open part on the top of the arm and the little gem on the open part (I really dislike that look now as I did then).

IMG_0604.jpeg

David Yurman is dated but I still like some of their stuff. I’m mega bored of loves. I’m bored of Hermes clic clac everywhere. I want to see something different. However having said all that, I wear this DY bracelet almost every weekend doing casual errands because it was a gift from DH - to me it doesn’t look *as* dated as the ones people used to wear 10-15 years ago with the open part on the top of the arm and the little gem on the open part (I really dislike that look now as I did then).

View attachment 5867941
This is beautiful and I agree. I am eyeballing a DY bracelet to add to my stack :smile:

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Many brands rip off signature looks of other brands (e.g. Louis Vuitton, Buccellatti, et al answers to the Alhambra). It shows a lack of creativity and effort in my opinion...They cant come up with anything better so rip off the competitor?

Brands way overuse their popular motifs. There are too many Alhambra variations, and Cartier Love products and spin offs. I imagine at a much earlier time, the 70s perhaps, these brands would have a much more varied, rich offering, which to me is ironic because they are more successful then ever now, yet not offering a wide variety of designs. It almost kind of reminds me of the Super Hero franchise takeover of Hollywood...time to get creative again!

I wish more brands would also just sell high-quality classic designs...for instance a curb chain or other link-type chain bracelets. I would like VCA-quality versions of jewelry classics. It is hard to find super high quality jewelry of these basic types.

20 years ago, when the first time I saw the Cartier love bracelet, I fell in love with it immediately. At that time, I didn't know it's Cartier nor know the price. To me, it's just a simple, elegant gold bangle with screw design, which was cool in an engineering student's eyes. I'm lucky to own one years later. Now it is so recognizable and becomes a status symbol, I shy away from wearing it anymore, and even think about selling it as I don't like it sits in the safe.

I learned about Verdura and Suzanne Belperron via @880 (many thanks to the education) and love the designs. They are pieces of art. The ones I like are too expensive. I still cannot image myself spending over $15K on one single piece.

I wish I could learn more about independent jewelers here, who are trustworthy and make high quality jewelry.

Lock, Love or any bracelet that’s indicative of shackles - no thank you!
This is exactly how I feel! A fun story about the Love bracelet.. Several years ago when I first discovered the Love bracelet, I wanted to understand more about why it was designed to be unremovable except with the help of a a screwdriver and another person. I found an article that said that the Love bracelet was inspired by chastity belts!!!! GASP!! So you basically have to shackle a person to celebrate your love for them??!!! That may have cured me of any interest in the love bracelet!!! Lol!!

Many have strong feelings, adore or despise, the OG Cartier Love bracelet. For a long time I wasn't interested as I thought it was too ubiquitous but then it started to grow on me. I don't live anywhere near a boutique so I was often researching looks online, but today I finally got to a Cartier boutique. When I looked at the bracelets in the display case and just went..."Meh". Didn't inspire any feelings in me at all. Pretty much with everything in the boutique...it's held in such high regard because it's Cartier but I didn't see anything that would inspire me to spend $$$$ on. I think I'll stick with newer up-and-coming original designers who don't charge gazillions for their name yet!

While they are pieces I like Cartier as a whole is very simple and uninspired for me. A lot of their prices look like they can be brought at any old jeweler

I’m completely over the super dainty jewelry trend, mostly because I think what makes fine jewelry worth it is substantial material and super dainty pieces will break

I will always prefer yellow gold over everything else. It just complements me the best