What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

Unpopular opinion across all premier luxury brands I shop with:

I don’t have a wishlist. I want to go to the store, wearing my usual; have a thorough discussion with an SA, from personal referral (both ways so both of us know we will get along and neither of us is crazy, lazy, or high maintenance); and then wait for her to contact me with things that are to my taste. something along the lines of, pls come in because I have things I believe you will love, is enough.

When I walk into a store, I would like to fall in love with something so much that I need to wear or carry it out

i hate looking at little pics in look books, but if I see something ( on tpf for example) I expect the SA to try to get it for me ( within reason).

this has worked for me even during stock shortages during Covid

for many things, SAs waive the up front charge; for my part , I am reasonable, polite, patient, and never need to return.

ETA: it goes without saying that I am more attached to the curation ability and recommendations of my SAs than any one item
Demand is so high right now I don’t think the SAs have time and they aren’t rewarded for it. I don’t disagree with you though. A lot of the value of luxury shopping is working with someone who curates and recommends items for you.

The 24/24 bag is so much more functional than some Kelly bags, especially a Kelly in the smaller sizes. The 24/24 comes with a back pocket for your phone, expandable storage to some extent (it is squishier and has more depth), the closure is not so small and finicky, it doesn't have those sangles that just hang around, you can still tie a twilly on it, and there's still a shoulder strap. I'm a big fan.

I also do that, and the worst part is that with the birkin and kelly and a bunch of other icons of the brand are so well known you can expect those questions and comments even from young teens or random (and shameless imo..) people in the street. It has made a few items almost completely unwearable to me which is a shame, like I can't really figure out where to wear a some of the most recognizable items comfortably anymore so they sit and rot.

As for how tpf was back then, some thing were better, but it also had its weird moments, knee pad jokes were a thing for a while and not to mention wild stuff like the 'nude with my LV (?)' thread or something like that.
The knee pad was an OG thing. Some things werent quite right back then either

@pinky7 , a very upscale brand called Paltrona Frau made some of Hs furniture, Not sure if H subsequently took it in house or not

Don’t know if this is unpopular or not, but IMO they need to just stop making furniture. You’re Hermes, not Raymour & Flanigan *ducks and hides* :P
Hermès has done furniture since 1924 when Emile Hermes met JM Frank, so I doubt it’ll ever stop. The philosophy of JM Frank also still influences Hermes as a whole today. JM Frank was well known for his vision of luxury with simple materials and simplicity that showcased craftsmanship rather than decoration and opulence. Many of the iconic modern designs in home furnishings today from cubic couches to the preferred ratio of lampshade to lamp are all thanks to JM Frank and Hermes for supporting and partnering with the designer.

I know that people can do whatever they want with their bags (RTW, blankets etc) but I really hate to see bags posted for sale in FB groups boasting how new they are...(Ie July receipt and its August 5) Its not my business but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just don't get it...Is this really how people are making money. (I guess so:yucky:)
I have yet to receive an offer from my SA and, while I try to wait patiently, I like to look at the pics of other people’s offered bags on this forum. When I‘ve run out of pics here I sometimes look at Fashionphile or other similar sites…great eye candy. However, I am usually horrified by the number of ‘new’ bags on the sites and the unbelievable markups…on one such site which carries mostly new bags, there was a B25 in bleu nuit with GHW (identical to the bag I purchased at FSH last fall) for $31,000. Presumable someone purchased this B25 from H for ~$9,000 and is now hoping to make a profit of over 300%.

Opinion (probably not that unpopular!): I am frankly appalled that it is possible for so many people to avoid all the apparent ’quota bag’ limits and purchase bags from H, only to turn around and sell them at a profit. Not sure how H could prevent or limit this market but I’d have thought they’d rather sell their bags to loyal customers who will love and cherish them than to someone who cares only for the profit they’ll make at H’s expense. That being said, I suppose they make the same money regardless of who buys them.

Demand is so high right now I don’t think the SAs have time and they aren’t rewarded for it. I don’t disagree with you though. A lot of the value of luxury shopping is working with someone who curates and recommends items for you.
I believe that yours is the very popular opinion :hugs:Some posters here on TPF come across as taking up a lot of time and energy with indecision etc., and I agree that an SA won’t have time for that and certainly is not compensated for it either. These days, with the appt system, you have to be relatively sure and low maintenance and generally open to considering stock that is in the store, even if you end up with something else.

IRL it takes 5-10 minutes for me to communicate preferences to even a new SA (Visuals help, like what I wear and a pic of what I own). I know several other TPFers who get similar treatment, but what we have in common is a certain type of shopping efficiency and flexibility. If the visit ends up being worthwhile in terms of what is purchased, an SA will make the time.

@JLO1 , I’m not sure I would take an Evelyne, except for a tpm, for free either. Lol :lol:

Hermès has done furniture since 1924 when Emile Hermes met JM Frank, so I doubt it’ll ever stop. The philosophy of JM Frank also still influences Hermes as a whole today. JM Frank was well known for his vision of luxury with simple materials and simplicity that showcased craftsmanship rather than decoration and opulence. Many of the iconic modern designs in home furnishings today from cubic couches to the preferred ratio of lampshade to lamp are all thanks to JM Frank and Hermes for supporting and partnering with the designer.
Agreed, but also because this is an “unpopular opinions” thread, kind of disagreed. I appreciate the artistic vision and craftsmanship of Hermes furniture, but at the same time, when I see it, I just can’t justify the price compared to the complete sets of handmade, artisan crafted (with one artisan completing each piece and signing it) Thomas Moser furniture, that I already have at home.

Hermes furniture gets into how luxury pricing works in other categories, you’re essentially paying a multiple times premium for the IP of the design, because you can get the craftsmanship and quality (and high-quality design) elsewhere for much less cost.

Agreed, but also because this is an “unpopular opinions” thread, kind of disagreed. I appreciate the artistic vision and craftsmanship of Hermes furniture, but at the same time, when I see it, I just can’t justify the price compared to the complete sets of handmade, artisan crafted (with one artisan completing each piece and signing it) Thomas Moser furniture, that I already have at home.

Hermes furniture gets into how luxury pricing works in other categories, you’re essentially paying a multiple times premium for the IP of the design, because you can get the craftsmanship and quality (and high-quality design) elsewhere for much less cost.
Price wise, I completely agree with you. In the furniture thread, I mentioned how when I was looking to buy a pair of the shearling club chairs, I was considering getting them at the Invisible Collection (very off topic, but I highly recommend them as they offer pieces from up and coming designers all while being handcrafted in France selling to individuals too rather than exclusively to the trade). The price at IC was I believe 11k a chair compared to 35k a chair at Hermes. Ultimately, I decided to go with Hermes because of the quality. I definitely did not opt to also get the club sofa , and instead, I balanced out the splurge by reupholstering my trusty Liaigre sofa.

Now as much I am a pawn of Hermes La Maison, I will never be able wrap my head around the 20k lanterns. I have seen them pop onto therealreal and did consider, but the way the aged so poorly shocked me.

Price wise, I completely agree with you. In the furniture thread, I mentioned how when I was looking to buy a pair of the shearling club chairs, I was considering getting them at the Invisible Collection (very off topic, but I highly recommend them as they offer pieces from up and coming designers all while being handcrafted in France selling to individuals too rather than exclusively to the trade). The price at IC was I believe 11k a chair compared to 35k a chair at Hermes. Ultimately, I decided to go with Hermes because of the quality. I definitely did not opt to also get the club sofa , and instead, I balanced out the splurge by reupholstering my trusty Liaigre sofa.

Now as much I am a pawn of Hermes La Maison, I will never be able wrap my head around the 20k lanterns. I have seen them pop onto therealreal and did consider, but the way the aged so poorly shocked me.
@J’adoreHermes,
thank you for the recommendation of the Invisible collection. I’m currently drooling over what looks like a toile chairchair that would ideally match the toile 30B I’ve been searching for basically my whole H collecting years lol.

To bring my inquiry slightly back to topic, would you have comparison pics of the H shearling and the other armchairs (I presume the popular opinion would be H furniture isn’t worth the surcharge, so the unpopular would be the reverse. . .)

if you have any other recommendations, may I ask if you would consider posting in the furniture thread? (i have a good relationship with my decorator, but would love to bring some ideas to the table so to speak) :rolleyes: :biggrin::flowers: I’ve determined that we’re tired of mid century modern and prefer French modern to Italian, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten.
I think the thread is here:

• Love
Reactions: J'adoreHermes
@J’adoreHermes,
thank you for the recommendation of the Invisible collection. I’m currently drooling over what looks like a toile chairchair that would ideally match the toile 30B I’ve been searching for basically my whole H collecting years lol.

To bring my inquiry slightly back to topic, would you have comparison pics of the H shearling and the other armchairs (I presume the popular opinion would be H furniture isn’t worth the surcharge, so the unpopular would be the reverse. . .)

if you have any other recommendations, may I ask if you would consider posting in the furniture thread? (i have a good relationship with my decorator, but would love to bring some ideas to the table so to speak) :rolleyes: :biggrin::flowers: I’ve determined that we’re tired of mid century modern and prefer French modern to Italian, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten.
I think the thread is here:
Thank you for recommending the thread. I didn’t know there was one dedicated to furniture and interior design.

Pertaining to my unpopular opinion, it really came down to small differences. I think this is unique to shearling and such a cubic shape, but the Hermes chair had more seamless edges. The quality of the shearling also looked much finer and a cloud. Now, if Hermès offered a fabric version, and I had been looking for a fabric pair, I would not have bought from Hermes. The attention to detail by Hermes is just top. The seams would have bothered me quite a bit especially as they would have stuck to my eyes since I decided on minimal, simple, and pure furniture.

2DA70778-E365-48F1-A946-EC121465ECB2.jpeg356288A9-5FE8-4526-882C-9668CB940ED6.jpeg

Thank you for recommending the thread. I didn’t know there was one dedicated to furniture and interior design.

Pertaining to my unpopular opinion, it really came down to small differences. I think this is unique to shearling and such a cubic shape, but the Hermes chair had more seamless edges. The quality of the shearling also looked much finer and a cloud. Now, if Hermès offered a fabric version, and I had been looking for a fabric pair, I would not have bought from Hermes. The attention to detail by Hermes is just top. The seams would have bothered me quite a bit especially as they would have stuck to my eyes since I decided on minimal, simple, and pure furniture.

View attachment 5585939View attachment 5585946
Ah, got it! I appreciate your insight and your attention to detail ! Thank you
i do still think yours is an unpopular opinion (thereby belonging to this thread) bc there is such a great price disparity, more people would go for the non Hermes with seams :smile: I confess that I might be among the majority, if the club chair prices precluded a sofa purchase Lol

Last edited:
My unpopular opinion is I also LOVE Hermes furniture, in particular that shearling chair and their leather top desk. Also I heard a FB rumor that BH would no longer take appointments or require people to stand in line. I dread the day they throw the door open and return to the pre-pandemic way of shopping in Hermes. The Beverly Hills store was SO busy with tourists and it is absolute chaos. I got a taste of how it used to be this past Friday. It was noisy and crowded downstairs where the leather, belts, silks, perfume and make up is located. So crazy.

51AC3F67-6CE3-492F-94E2-43F36C9E3093.jpeg

D36A5D5D-36E3-4DE3-AC67-7A007C8BD002.jpeg

608FA663-6E59-4810-B69E-CEDB59AF9C0D.jpeg

E4C211B5-A401-4343-8859-28D68CDC2782.jpeg

D159F0F4-6E3C-40A8-AC77-D4E3F4A53B0A.jpeg

9CECC273-3754-40BC-82DF-FE0B792437A7.jpeg

1ABFD8A7-7B1F-4B70-A18D-CCD05D1F1B44.jpeg

ECBF4033-F539-4D25-B5BA-7592BE6307C7.jpeg

F2D8B9F1-FAFB-423C-9DAE-D8CDB1308225.jpeg

04ABD2B7-DD23-4813-985F-C0094D283179.jpeg

DE664890-85FE-4BA0-814C-7C1519AF5860.jpeg