What's so special about Prada?

hulksmash99

Aug 11, 2007
I apologize if this has been asked and answered a hundred times before. I didn't find a Reference section or a FAQ section to this subforum, but if anyone would like to offer links, I'd appreciate it.

I've bought a few Prada items in the past. Belts, T's, and cosmetic pouches. OK, I know the price range of Pradas.

But I'm wondering about the larger bags/luggages/etc. of Prada. I mean, it's only nylon, canvas on the neo so the price is really extravagant. Even Gucci these days are discounted because Canvas is just not leather.

I'm not sure what to think. What's the specialty of Prada bags? Aside from the sexy black and the little triangular plate, I would like to know where the value of a Prada bag lies.

I'm just curious and would like to be better educated in the material and line of Prada bags.

Thnx

I think the appeal of Prada is in the fact that it's very simple and chic. What sets it apart is the fact that it's not fussy like other designers. Also, the little silver Prada plate is kind of sexy.

I'm a Miu Miu girl though. I don't own any Prada. I think the prices are too high.

I like their simple and classic designs. Some of their bags are edgy yes but I like those too just for sheer variety. I'm a classics girl at heart and love how durable the leather is and how the styles can withstand the test of time.

I've only gotten into prada this year but already I've accumulated several bags plus other misc items.

I wonder the same thing... I purchased a brand new Prada (leather, not canvas) and the handles cracked completely. I don't know if Prada has any quality control and what is it that they exactly charge so much for?

^^perhaps you got a defective bag? I've never had any problems with mine and I've been carrying around my pradas almost every day and not exactly babying them all the time.

breakthrough designs! cutting edge stuff! not all of them of course. don't even look at the range where they aim only to satisfy brand consciousness and nothing else (there are lots of money to be made there so i am sure they produced enough mediocre designs to maximize profit, it is a business afterall). but look at the bowling bag, the extremely pointy toed shoes, the gauffre, and lots of other designs they spearheaded. if there is such a thing as the art history of designer bags, prada (and fendi, again these guys have their ups and downs also) would be giotto!

i think if it is leather, then the high price is justified (not jus for prada but also for other brands).
but nylon and canvas - yeah, not worth paying that much money.
having said that, i dont own any prada items. i think at the end of the day, its about you and the bag. the design of the bag. its a personal thing ;)

I have always thot the price of the nylon ones were way too high, but I recently bought 2 leather ones and the leather is TDF and I think the workmanship is very high, especially upon close examination the pockets and the stitching.

I think the workmanship is definitely very high. I have Prada and Miu Miu and I think the Prada is far superior. Hence the higher cost.
Also I have both Prada leather and nylon and I love my nylon more everyday. Its so user friendly and it doesnt look cheap at all because of the design and superb workmanship. As long as you get over the fact that you are paying for a nylon, you'll find that it serves you very well. Its getting the most mileage of all my bags. So in terms of this alone, its worth every cent.

I think the main lure of prada is that it has been a very innovative brand ever since miuccia took the lead. She is also a fantastic designer, Prada has been just as famous for shoes as for handbags, and to a certain extent clothes as well! I can't say that the craftmanship is outstandingly special compared to other similar brands, but it has a casual comfortable, yet subtly elegant appeal very few other houses of fashion offer.