What is your favourite (non-diamond) gemstone and why?

• Thread starter MagpieInTraining
  • Start date
Reviving this.

I've always been keen to read on coloured gems and have been looking for a good yellow sapphire but haven't found a perfect one.

my birth stone is aquamarine but unfortunately I don't really like it on me.

I'm now hunting down a nice spinel and garnet! I want colours which are rich.

I love Alexandrite for it's color change property and it's what I chose for my engagement ring since naturally more rare than diamonds.

Tanzanite has been a favorite of many here and for me too - my favorite color is purple and while amethyst is pretty, the depth and shine of tanzanite and the variations of color is amazing.

I also love labradorite since the base color is a pretty green/blue but it can have an iridescent sheen to it like moonstone that I really like, and it works with both silver tone metals and gold tone metals well.

And it doesn't seem to be super popular on tpf, but I prefer moissanite to diamonds. There was a meme I saw about the differences between the two that compared creating moissanites to modern day alchemy with imagery of "mad scientists" in a lab that gave me a good chuckle. I like the fiery rainbowy sparkle and that it's more accessible as an entry point to fine jewelry.

Aesthetics, not price are what I consider more important when buying jewellery. I don't care about the price of a stone, and although I like diamonds, I prefer other gems. My favourites are those who have a cool or neutral undertone: amethysts, aquamarines, and sapphires. Those are also the colours that I wear more....and black :smile:

Reactions: americandreaming
I'm growing to love other gems even more lately. I've got a cutter in Australia to cut a small Sapphire for me (he hardly has bigger ones like 1.5ct and above). And I've also got some red spinels and jade from a Burmese. I like spinels and sapphire due to their mohs. And like jade because it looks nice against my skin tone.

Reactions: americandreaming
Reviving this.

I've always been keen to read on coloured gems and have been looking for a good yellow sapphire but haven't found a perfect one.

my birth stone is aquamarine but unfortunately I don't really like it on me.

I'm now hunting down a nice spinel and garnet! I want colours which are rich.
I did not like aquamarines until I was shown one in a white gold setting. The yellow gold I had always seen the stones in gave it a funky look.

Reactions: Both sides Now