what is the biggest discount you can get on a rolex watch?

hi ladies,

can you give me some advice on HOW to negotiate a rolex? i have been thinking of buying one for a year now, have been looking......each time i go to an authorized dealer, i cant seem to get past 10%. some offer me 10% right away without asking, some feign surprise and tell me with wide open eyes that they never discount (then later offer 10%). my family has been able to get 15% before.....but the same store wont do 15% anymore, even in this economy! one guy said to me, "10% is good enough. it's good enough. it's good enough!" and was rather pushy. i have read that some ladies here got 20%.....how do you do it? i am not good at bargaining at all, can anyone offer some tips?

thanks so much in advance

You can't, really. They are price fixed and legit retailers have very little wiggle room. I know I have a 10% leeway to play with certain price fixed items in my own stores. I sell at barely over cost and cannot discount PLUS if I am caught discounting, I can lose my account and right to sell a certain product, like...say...a Rolex.

I have been in the business for many years and I've never met anyone who can discount a Rolex more than 10%, 15% if they're willing to take a hit and just need to move product.

In my experience, these 20% and 25% discounts are urban legends. They always make me suspicious.

That's my two cents as a Rolex wearer, buyer and as a jewelry store owner.

Refurbed consignment items are something to consider if one is looking to get the most watch for their money. Higher end dealers will have the proper paperwork and warranties. If you know what you're buying, you can score big time.

I don't have much experience buying from retail stores, as we get our discount because of employee benefits, but what about asking the store to eat the tax? That could knock off another 7% or so.

Also, I know that Tourneau will accept used watches for trade-in. If you have any watches they could sell, you could get store credit that would decrease your spend on a Rolex. My husband was able to trade in his mint-condition Tag Monaco 69 and Corum Bubble for about 40% of their retail value (more than he paid for them!) and walked out with a Breitling Superavenger for $500.

Last edited:
My sisters and I have been planning to buy a Rolex for my father and we have done quite a bit of research. The best place to buy is online from "grey dealers." Places like swiss luxury dot com and joma shop dot com I think. You can get at least 20% off, some times more. Since they are out of state you get them tax free too. The watches are genuine and come with boxes, papers, and a warranty from the "grey dealer." Since you aren't buying them from an Authorized Dealer, you don't get the Rolex two year warranty. That's the only down side. The Rolex Forum is a good place to learn more.

Rolex is now super strict about their authorized dealers giving discounts and if they are caught discounting they can lose their status as an authorized Rolex dealer. It also depends on the style & cost of the watch your interested in. The starting models are the ones that sell the most and they can't offer much off. The higher end models such as the solid golds don't sell as much and they have more room to negotiate on the price although it is still strictly prohibited by Rolex.

They eat the tax, not forgive it. They take 5% or 8% or whatever your state tax is off the total cost and reduce it so that you pay tag price and no tax. They are still paying the state tax on it, they just reduiced YOUR fee enough so that you don't feel like you've paid an extra 5% for tax.

I do it in my store all the time. People balk and whine about this and that, sometimes reducing the price by 5% to "eat the tax" makes them happy. The tax is still added- itg has to by law.

At tourneau they didnt eat the tax when hubby was thinking about buying his watch - they offered to ship it out of state for free. Hubby worked in Ohio (but we live in Chicago) so they said, we'll give you a small discount and waive tax cuz it was out of state (10.25% in Chicago) and ship to Ohio for free.....

If you're looking for an answer from someone who actually jusy purchased a Rolex... you can easily get 20% off (I just did, from an AD on a SS Rolex). You can often get up to 30% off on the solid gold models. Brietling was also just running a 20% off at certain dealers. Don't listen to people giving you answers based off of old gossip about Rolex. The economy is in the toilet and luxury items simply aren't selling well.
As far as bargaining.... if they won't discount, just walk. Someone else will.

I got 20% off.. Well just under.. I went into Mayors and was looking seriously and found my perfect watch, she immid. offered 10% off.. I left and didnt buy it and the next day DH called her and said if she would do 15% off add a link and no tax, it was a certain amount out the door.. She said she will call back, She called back it her offer was $400 more then our offer and DH said no, the best we can do is $6k.. She said she will call us back, lol
She called back and said OK. I went and picked it up that day, hehe..

Mine retailed for $7800 and I got it for $6000 with a link after tax, out the door
After tax and the link it would have costed me $8396 retail so i did save quite a bit.. Thanks to DH

usually you can get 10% discount and if you have a long term relationship, then you can get 15% discount.
there are certain retailers that have specials like 20% rolex if you pay in cash.
Je Caldwell's is a great store and will work with you. (just ask)
we purchase rolexs each year... love them!