What do you tell people who ask why not buy a fake?

While i also have never been asked, I think I would go with something along the lines of "I'm not funding terrorism, and although some might not know its fake, I would."

And then of course I'd likely go off on some rant about how they are classics that are worth saving for and if people can't afford it, then they shouldn't wear one... and that its none of their business!:yes:

(I personally just don't understand buying fakes, especially when we all know that there are some are lovely brands such as coach, dooney and burke or tano that aren't as expensive but are nice as well!)

One person did say to me that I am crazy paying the money for authentic when you can buy great fakes. I wasn't pleased but I simply said that I would rather do without than carry a fake, I also mentioned how the industry was connected to illegal activities!

Wow today at work this lady was yelling at one of my Service Desk people so they called me over to assist. So I'm there talking with her to calm her down and start talking about little things just so she could simmer down. And I mention my new phone, then she mentions iOffer. I told her I don't trust that site, and she was like
"OH NO! I trust them 100% I buy all my bags there. Like those three hundred Coach purses, I get them from China for like $30. They are real too and I think they look better than those Louis Vuitton ones"
I was like :wtf:!!!! Since I was at work I had to be nice and respectful and just said "Oh cool". Oh my goodness I almost wanted to laugh right then and there. haha

i would just say to her 'that's fine that you feel that way, but i prefer to have the original' that is enough to get the point accross without being rude.
actually, a guy i work with said to me in front of my work colleage (jokingly) 'i'm going to report you to the police, because you are carrying a fake'. i didn't even have to say anything (it was my mono speedy25), cuz my work colleague jumped in 'are you joking? she would NEVER carry a fake! fakes are so tacky! the bag was a gift from her husband'. he then asked if he could look at it, and complimented me on the bag. he even said 'if you look at it, you can tell it is really well made'.

That's a polite reply. I like the way you put it.
For me, I would say real ones are better in quality.

I live in Baltimore, a city FULL of fakes. Personally I'm against them and everytime a girl brags about her fakes (and this happens alot, and its not just bags either), I tell them the same thing... expensive bags are expensive for a reason...status, something special to covet, not to mention workmanship that should last forever. Carrying around a fake anything is just pretending. Its not special, its cheap. Another reason I hate fakes is because I'm a designer and I know how horrified I would be if someone started copying and making money off of something I put my hardwork into designing. Tho that argument never works, the first one at least makes them shut up. In all truth there are so many women out there who don't care real or fake, they just don't get it. They think...this bag is just like the one Nicole Ritchie, or whoever has and I'll be cool like her if I have one and it only cost me $30. alot of people truly believe a fake is just as good as the real thing. You can say whatever you want, sadly it doesn't ever make a difference.

i just read some more of your posts. I always forget about the supporting crime part of fakes. From now on I'm just gonna say "I don't support terrorism or drug dealers" lol, is that too harsh...:graucho:

To answer your question, I probably wouldn't say anything, maybe "hmmmmm"... because I think ignorant people are difficult to educate.
But, to sum it up, I think authentic is better quality. That pretty much sums it up for me.
And, I appreciate the originality of things.

I live in Baltimore, a city FULL of fakes. Personally I'm against them and everytime a girl brags about her fakes (and this happens alot, and its not just bags either), I tell them the same thing... expensive bags are expensive for a reason...status, something special to covet, not to mention workmanship that should last forever. Carrying around a fake anything is just pretending. Its not special, its cheap. Another reason I hate fakes is because I'm a designer and I know how horrified I would be if someone started copying and making money off of something I put my hardwork into designing. Tho that argument never works, the first one at least makes them shut up. In all truth there are so many women out there who don't care real or fake, they just don't get it. They think...this bag is just like the one Nicole Ritchie, or whoever has and I'll be cool like her if I have one and it only cost me $30. alot of people truly believe a fake is just as good as the real thing. You can say whatever you want, sadly it doesn't ever make a difference.

Yeah, I totally don't get bragging about fakes. You wouldn't go around saying, "You know, I can't afford a real diamond so check out my big-a$$ CZ." So why on earth would you make the exact same statement about your handbag????

If it is from a family member, I'll probably will politely says "i buy thing for longer period and the real one will stand over time, and if it doesnt, did you know that you can still bring it to LV and have them fixed? "

if it is for others, i probably will say, "It is a gift (a gift from me to myself, but i didnt say that), so i have no choice, haha"

I tell people its the real deal or none at all...my conscious wouldn't allow me to purchase an item that what fake - I would feel false. If I were to carry a fake I would be worrying that someone would point out that I was carrying a fake.