What do you say to a friend passing off a fake as a real birkin???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for starting this thread, cftf, it really made me think about things differently, too. And I am happy to see so many big-hearted women on this forum. I could learn a lesson or two.

Totally agree! I'd keep silent. I have a very good friend who carries her fake H evelyn and wallet that she bought from an open market in Hong Kong. She tells me that unlike me, she cannot imagine buying the REAL thing... My friend can definitely afford it, just doesn't want to spend money on purses... I do know that not everyone is as purse/bag-obsessed as me! :nuts:

i have a friend who has done the EXACT same thing!!! she has always admired my H possessions but has not been able to make that jump...of course she has a stingy DH standing in the way as well! i remember her showing me the bangles and wallets that she had purchased while on a trip to hong kong....saying what a great deal she had gotten! all i could say was OMG! and WOW! (LOL!) but yea, i kept quiet and didn't scold her or anything. it's her business.

I personally think it's terrible to buy a fake bag. I did an entire report in my college english class last year about the destructive nature of fakes, and it really comes to light once you do some research.

She probably doesn't even know that she's participating in a huge scheme that promotes all sorts of things from drug trafficking (sp?) to terrorism and it's really sad that she's not true to who she is by carrying what she can afford.

I work in a high end boutique in a community with lots of wealthy people, and I can tell right away whether the person truly "has money" or not just by their attitude. It sounds like your friend has a self-esteem problem more than anything, and I see her type around my store all the time.

If she really thinks she's fooling the people in your area who truly have money, she's snowing herself. Believe me, other people can tell. IMHO, if you carry an Hermes and drive a Honda, you're not fooling anyone. (No offense to those on here who do drive Honda's, I understand if you saved up, but most people who wear fake bags don't have the entire package that goes along with the "luxury lifestyle" associated with them).

Sorry for the long post, but I really hate when people wear fakes and are proud of them!! I would casually bring up a convo about how fake bags support terrorism, etc... and see what her defense is. I guess I'm not as nice as some of the others... sorry if I've offended anyone.

Are you sure she knows it is a fake? could she have purchased it thinking it was real? I'd hate to think that she is carrying a fake because she was duped while on her holiday...

I personally think it's terrible to buy a fake bag. I did an entire report in my college english class last year about the destructive nature of fakes, and it really comes to light once you do some research.

She probably doesn't even know that she's participating in a huge scheme that promotes all sorts of things from drug trafficking (sp?) to terrorism and it's really sad that she's not true to who she is by carrying what she can afford.

I work in a high end boutique in a community with lots of wealthy people, and I can tell right away whether the person truly "has money" or not just by their attitude. It sounds like your friend has a self-esteem problem more than anything, and I see her type around my store all the time.

If she really thinks she's fooling the people in your area who truly have money, she's snowing herself. Believe me, other people can tell. IMHO, if you carry an Hermes and drive a Honda, you're not fooling anyone. (No offense to those on here who do drive Honda's, I understand if you saved up, but most people who wear fake bags don't have the entire package that goes along with the "luxury lifestyle" associated with them).

Sorry for the long post, but I really hate when people wear fakes and are proud of them!! I would casually bring up a convo about how fake bags support terrorism, etc... and see what her defense is. I guess I'm not as nice as some of the others... sorry if I've offended anyone.

I agree supporting fake bag production is wrong, including child labor:sad: But I think your statement about a "luxury lifestyle" should be left up to each individual to decide. I think luxury is whatever makes you happy and if that's a Honda that will never give problems like a RR and a birkin next to you, well it sounds good to me!:tup:

IMHO, if you carry an Hermes and drive a Honda, you're not fooling anyone. (No offense to those on here who do drive Honda's, I understand if you saved up, but most people who wear fake bags don't have the entire package that goes along with the "luxury lifestyle" associated with them).

:shrugs:

Most people are not out to "fool" anybody with their Birkin (or Chanel, or Balanciaga). They probably enjoy beautiful bags, and that's what they splurge on.

To say that because someone does not have a luxurious car to go with their luxurious bag is beyond ridiculous. Let me ask you this, kolibriszuka: Do you have a house filled with Rauschenbergs, De Koonings, Rothkos and Warhols? If not, you definitely aren't fooling anyone with your Birkin.

Of course, I am just joking. But my joke followed the lines of your logic.

IMHO, if you carry an Hermes and drive a Honda, you're not fooling anyone. (No offense to those on here who do drive Honda's, I understand if you saved up, but most people who wear fake bags don't have the entire package that goes along with the "luxury lifestyle" associated with them).
<============ Real Honda

bolide&pochette.jpg

^
|
|
|
|
|
|
^
^
Real Hermes Web II Bolide

Things aren't always as they seem. The richest woman I ever met (multi-millionare) drove a rusted out old Honda Civic.

Are you sure she knows it is a fake? could she have purchased it thinking it was real? I'd hate to think that she is carrying a fake because she was duped while on her holiday...

Since she says she bought it at an H store, then I would have to say yes since there is no way for a non H item to come from the store. Someone posted earlier if I were sure it was indeed fake. Yes to that as well....I saw the inside, and the zipper pull hung down.

word Prada. :woohoo: My hubby makes plenty of dough to afford me an Hermes or 2 (has threatened to buy me one but thats another story) but is such a tight Scottish man he is still clinging to his 1989 Isuzu Trooper! I am hoping and praying for the day that car just dies! Just because we have the means doesn't mean we find it necessary or even desire to be surrounded continually by ultimate luxury. We pick and choose what we are going to splurge on and choose to live more modestly. Hubby likes his money in the bank...

<============ Real Honda

bolide&pochette.jpg

^
|
|
|
|
|
|
^
^
Real Hermes Web II Bolide

Things aren't always as they seem. The richest woman I ever met (multi-millionare) drove a rusted out old Honda Civic.

Since she says she bought it at an H store, then I would have to say yes since there is no way for a non H item to come from the store. Someone posted earlier if I were sure it was indeed fake. Yes to that as well....I saw the inside, and the zipper pull hung down.
Ah, then I agree with the majority. Best to stay mum.

oh....about the honda/birkin thing: I ABSOLUTELY agree what you are saying about piracy:tdown:, but a few of the wealthiest (beyond multi-millionaire. husbands are on a "list" or two) people here where I live drive Toyota Priuses and/or a bio diesel pickup trucks, for obvious reasons. So the logic of the honda thing really does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.