What Do YOU Call It?

I'm not sure if this is a regional thing or not, but you know those openers that you use to open cans or bottles (not an electric can opener, but the metal kind with the screw thing in the center. You can use it to open just about anything)? I (and my family) has always called them "church keys" not "bottle openers".

I hope I explained that alright.

I've heard "couch" or "sofa" called a "divan".
"Pop" is pretty universal around here for a coke, pepsi, 7UP, etc. But if you said "soda" we know ya mean the same thing ;). If you want a "coke" that means coca-cola only.

Anyone hear "rec room" instead of "family room" in a house? My folks used 'rec room' all the time.

In Canada = toque
In US = knit hat

My friend once asked Steven Tyler (from Aerosmith, they're on tour) when he was here in Edmonton where he had gotten his toque from and he had no idea what she was talking about!

In America, pants are pants. Underwear is underwear.

In England, trousers are pants. Pants are underwear.

In America, fanny means butt.

In England, fanny means the front bits.

(So "What was she to do? Where was she to go? She was out on her fanny!" from The Nanny theme song would've sounded so much funnier in England!)

DH is from Boston area, some difference we laugh about

CA: rubber band.........Boston: elastic
......garbage..........................rubish
......t-shirt............................jersey (he says, t-shirts are underware, I say jerseys are for sports!)
......jeans.............................dungarees
......tennis shoes....................sneakers
......liquor store......................package store

Fun thread!

Thought of some that don't have translations.... DH says...

wicked and pisser no such words in CA

I'll never forget when I was in London for a short while as an 18 year old with a bunch of fellow recent high school grads. A local guy walked up to a buddy of mine and asked, "fag?" Of course, most of us knew he wanted to bum a cigarette, but my friend about flipped out!! :biggrin:

DH is from Boston area, some difference we laugh about

CA: rubber band.........Boston: elastic
......garbage..........................rubish
......t-shirt............................jersey (he says, t-shirts are underware, I say jerseys are for sports!)
......jeans.............................dungarees
......tennis shoes....................sneakers
......liquor store......................package store

Fun thread!

This is so true, my bf is from Boston also and I've noticed they have their own vernacular it seems! :biggrin: :greengrin:

as the first native southerner to speak up, i feel as though i should make a little list:

soda/pop/soft drinks are all coke. i don't even drink soda and when i'm going to go buy a bottle of water at work, i tell people i'm going to go buy a coke.

shopping carts are buggies. this is a VERY rural southern thing. i grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta, where most people are transplants from other parts of the country, and i didn't hear 'buggy' regularly until i moved to the sticks for college.

instead of saying we're going to 'mow the yard,' we say we're going to 'cut the grass.' my mom said it's different elsewhere.

I have NEVER heard of POP before until last week. My friend from WA was sayin how she was gonna get some POP..I was like WTF is POP? I thought it had to do with drugs or something but it was SODA!!

She laughed at me when I said SODA.." Who still calls it SODA?"

sheeesh. I'm from FL!!