What are your thoughts on tattoos?

I have a small discreet tattoo that I got about 10 years ago. The meaning has changed drastically for me, but I still love it. It is a part of me and I wouldn't change it or lose it for anything. It did not hurt too much, but I have a high, high tolerance for pain.

That is what I was thinking too. She just meant so much to me and even though this may sound weird, my grandmother was my best friend and it was the most devastating time in my life. I feel as though this tattoo would not only representing how horrible it was to loose her, but also how I now feel a bit of peace (hence the doves) and am now comforted by thoughts of her instead of the ache of missing her.

Personally, I really do want one, then I have to think, well what would I get? Where would it be? My sister is 19 and so far, she has 5 tattoos, of the most ridiculous things...she has, a butterfly on her right shoulder, her initials on her right wrist, muschu (from the disney movie Mulan on her calf its huge!!) a colourful unicorn on her left upper arm and another butterfly on her wrist. They are supposedly very addictive, and another reason i keep debating about getting one is because of old wrinkly people with tattoos. Its horrid. lol, just my personal opinion

What i personally think of tattoos.. Well when i was 16 i was dieing to get one.. I asked my mom, and she told me in Islam it is a sin to have tattoos, because it changes your appearance.. So i thought of that, and Now i have i totally different perspective on tattoos... The tattoo might look nice when you first get it.. But when you start to get older you are going to really regret it... You might get tired of seeing a tattoo on the same spot.. Imagine having a big tattoo on your body and you're like 70.... A lot of people end up removing them, which cost $$... The weird thing is when I went to vacation to visit my family in Jordan.. I saw something on my grandfather's hand.. I thought at first that it was his veins...LOL Then when i looked closer, it looked like a sword drawn on his hand.. I was like :shrugs::wtf:He could not possibly have a tattoo... I was to scared to ask him.. So I asked my mom and she told me that when he was 8, he was playing outside and some gypsy was giving tattoos to some of the kids in the streets.. My grandfather 8 at that time, asked for a sword...LOL He was young and did not know it was wrong....

Don't do it. I speak from experience. I have/had two and both are in the process of being laser removed. One I still have faint marks where it was. They will never be fully gone because of the colors used. If I was to have just got black, they would be fully gone...but no, I went all out and wanted all colorful. Big mistake. But everyone has to live and learn.

I was the one that designed mine. Both of mine were done for free by an artist that I used to know. Don't get me wrong, they are both what I wanted AT THE TIME and turned out beautifully. I don't feel like I am that person anymore. The cost to get them removed is $400 each time I get a treatment. So far it has cost me over $4000 and still not done!

As far as pain, the pain of getting a tat on compared to getting it removed is a walk in the park. And trust me, getting one on hurts like a *****. When you get them removed, it is basically burning your skin off at several levels. You can smell your flesh burning. There is not pain reliever you can use to help ease the pain.

There are now names for certain tats depending on where you get them done. A pretty popular one is the "tramp stamp" above your butt on your lower back. And please whatever you do, do not get someones name put on you.

what a rude post... if you had read her op you would know she was thinking about getting doves as a memorial tattoo for her grandmother who has passed.

and calling a tattoo on the lower back a "tramp stamp" is just buying into the bs degradation of women on a whole.

I think a discrete tattoo in memorial of your grandmother would be fine. Generally, I am not a fan of tattoos but if it is meaningful and no one can easly see it, I think it would be fine. My sisters got small butterflies on their shoulders when they were 19, and regretted it by 22. Now they are visible whenever they dress up, and they feel embarrassed about the tattoos and wish they hadn't gotten them. So you may want to take that into consideration, and get the tattoo in a place that won't be seen if you are in clothes (including your wedding dress, formal dresses, etc.).

I do not agree with the "tramp stamp" term either. And I don't want it there either. I want it on my lower left side of my back. I am not sure I even want one yet, just wanted to opinions and that is what you gave me...thank you. But I do know the consequences and the pain, I feel as though the pain I went through her loss couldn't be as bad as a tattoo.

Thanks for your thoughts (while harsh...but those are your thoughts and you are entitled to post them!)

I am just torn and would not decide today that I had to have one...it is a thought that I have to think about a lot.

^^^What was rude about my post??? Sorry if you don't like what people call lower back tattoos. I apologize for you, if you have one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramp_stamp

Lower back tattoo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Tramp stamp)
•​

Jump to: navigation, search

A lower back tattoo, and its guardian, at an outdoor concert.

Beginning in the late 1990s the lower back tattoo became popular especially among young women. Lower back tattoos are often oblong in shape, following the slope of the back on either side of the woman's spine. The lower back tattoo is body decoration with the intent of emphasizing sexual attractiveness. Generally, a lower back tattoo will be designed to emphasize the shape and curvature of the female figure.
While such tattoos have become increasingly popular and accepted in recent years in many parts of the world especially the west, they remain an object of derision in some quarters. Detractors consider such tattoos in this location as suggestive of promiscuity and an indication of Raunch Culture[1], hence the nickname tramp stamp. Another common pejorative nickname for these tattoos is 'arse antlers'.
Several attributes of lower back tattoos have made them popular. While the lower back is not the widest area of the human back, it has abundant space for a large design, and horizontal tattoo designs can be worked easily. Another advantage is that the lower back is less likely to stretch and distort due to minor weight fluctuations, thus avoiding the tattoo becoming warped and faded as quickly.
Lower back tattoos are also often displayed in conjunction with halfshirts and bellyshirts (also called crop tops) designed to expose the midriff, and low-rise jeans that are worn low around the hips.
In the past few years, tattoo artists and doctors have questioned the safety of administering epidurals to pregnant women who have lower back tattoos.[2] Such concerns have largely been discredited[3] since there are women with lower back tattoos who have successfully undergone childbirth with epidurals and experienced no side effects.[citation needed]
There is no consensus in the medical community as to the significance of the risk.[4] Most anesthesiologists will give an epidural block to a woman with a lower back tattoo. They will avoid placing the needle through the tattoo in order not to introduce any of the color pigment into the epidural space.

In Pop Culture

In the movie Wedding Crashers, Owen Wilson's character points out a girl with a lower back tattoo and Vince Vaughn's character comments that "it might as well be a bullseye" (implying that she would be easy to get in bed.)

you apoligize for me if i have one?!

just because wikipedia knows what a "tramp stamp" doesnt make it any less of a derogatory term, that puts women down based on a biased belief that having a lower back tattoo makes you a slut.

i apoligize to all the senior citizens i offened- i was saying when youre old and wrinkley, tattoos arent going to make you any less attractive.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, im sorry i said anything in the first place.

princessaj0603, good luck with your decision, im sure youll make the one thats right for you!

they're great as long as you really think about what you want and it looks good. a friend of mine has 6 tattoos, she started getting them when she was 14 and they all look horrible, they dont go with each other and they diddnt give much thought into what she wanted and now regrets half of them.