What age to buy LV for daughter?

My father bought me a Chanel ligne cambon tote for my 16th birthday....I treated that bag like a book bag...it looked horrible in under 2 years. I still regret the way I treated it because it was a stunning bag and he has since passed away. I just wasn’t mature enough to handle such a designer bag. I think it truly depends on the maturity level of the child in question

Enjoy your trip!!
I had this same experience. I got a Gucci Ophedia for my 16th birthday. I was thrilled - but because I knew it was designer and expensive - and since I was an insecure teenage that really meant something. I also still didn't appreciate the value of a dollar. I treated the bag terribly and I don't know where it is or what ever happened to it. I feel terrible I didn't treat the bag better and appreciate it more. (UGH. The teen years :shocked:)

Edit: I don't have children but given my experience I would gauge based on the maturity of the child but still probably wait until 18 for a luxury purchase.

Such an interesting question. I was showing my 13 year old daughter the mom monogram pieces and she loved the fun of customizing her own piece. I may let her do one for a birthday, maybe a little pochette.

Reactions: MooMooVT
I’ve already contradicted myself with my daughter. I bought her a ZCP in Europe this summer; it was cheaper than in Canada and she’d had an exceptional year.

She borrows my PA in DA so much that I bought one in mono in November for her. I’m still a little conflicted about it, but am planning to give it to her for her 17th birthday next month. I know she will be thrilled about it. If I wasn’t concerned that it might be discontinued like the DE version I would probably have waited one more year.

Reactions: LadyInLA
I feel this also really has to do with your culture and upbringing.

I don’t think I will by my daughters (5 and 11) anything LV, Chanel or other brand until they have proven to me that they understand how this world works, that the know the actual value of money, what a designer bag can buy an average family in terms of food, housing etc. I just want them to be aware of their privilege. They will need to get jobs when they are teens, the lousy kind everyone starts off in when they are young, for a low wage. So they can see how long you have to save for luxuries. They need to experience real life first.

Also I would not want stimulate a materialist attitude, for them to need stuff to acquire status at a young age. If the have matured into stable, down-to-earth adults, that have a realistic notion of money and our family’s privilege, than we go SHOPPING! :biggrin:

Eh. Depends on the child. Kids are as different as adults are. That's why they grow into different adults. ;) Same with families, right?

Our daughter received a pre-loved (yoogis and double-checked here on tpf) cherry blossoms pochette when she got her black belt in kung fu (late age 8 ... while adults aged 28 had long since dropped out of the classes). She still only takes it out with an adult family member/friend though, just in case, for security. Dam ebene Alma BB she picked out herself at the boutique when she got third-degree black belt (age 11, going on 12 I think? ). The SA had a great time doing it with her. That also only goes out when she's with an adult family member.
Eight years later, both bags are in excellent condition, and she loves taking them to dinner, shows, shopping, with us. Heh ... eight years, and those bags have aged better than I have, actually. :biggrin:

She's a sophomore now in high school, and she can also borrow any of my bags when we go out (but LV/Versace/Burberry only *IF* an adult family member with her .... still watching security because she's petite. By now she could probably drop a common, un-armed purse snatcher, but no reason to tempt them).

In two years, once she starts college, the closet door's open. She can use any of mine that she wants. My only big concern there would be bags kept in a free-for-all dorm room, but she plans to attend the family alma mater through grad school, which she would be living at home for anyway. Problem solved.

Last edited:
It’s kind of a tradition that my sister and I often buy our teenage girls nice bags and shoes for birthdays and Christmas. My mum started it with us as teenagers, and we’ve carried it on. My daughter had her first ‘special’ bag for her 13th birthday from my mum. It’s a speedy 30
in monogram with her personalised initials and coloured stripes. She’s 16yrs old now and still reaches for that same bag a few times a week, it’s still her favourite I think.

Every family and child is different and there’s no right or wrong I don’t believe. I’m a firm believer in doing ‘what’s right for you and yours’! I have no issue with her having the bag at that age tbh although I was probably 16 when I had my first designer bag, her cousins all received one at the same age too. My mum has recently purchased her some very cool LV sandals for her Christmas gift. I wish I could fit in them! This is her second expensive pair of shoes. Last year I bought her a pair of Valentino shoes for Christmas. My daughter takes really good care of her bags and shoes and appreciates them. She knows she’s extremely lucky to have such lovely things and as long as she knows that, I see no harm.