What age to buy LV for daughter?

I personally think that 13 is too young. I would wait until she's 18 or maybe even older. Of course maturity can be an individual thing, but even if it's "just" a Pochette Accessories- that's still a ton of money for a handbag for majority of people, let's keep it real here. I wouldn't be comfortable with buying my future children luxury items as long as they don't understand that it's a privilege to be able to afford them.

I'm 26 and I got my first LV bag when I was 21. I was super excited and grateful for the bag because I wanted an LV for years at that point. My younger sister got her first LV bag at 18 and she was never super crazy about handbags compared to me(I'm obsessed) but she really enjoyed getting it. That being said my mom doesn't think that either one of us carries our first LV bag enough. So it's really subjective. I would've loved an LV bag at 13 and I think I would've taken great care of it. Maybe you could start with a smaller handbag or SLG and see how she handles it?

My dad bought me my first LV while visiting NY when I was 16-17 (can't remember my exact age). Personally I feel this was around the age I could genuinely appreciate and take care of such things. It really depends on the level of maturity your daughter has and if you feel she will understand and appreciate things. I probably will not purchase one for my daughter until she reaches college level (long ways from now lol) but that's just on a personal note. I really want her to value things as well and so perhaps giving her such goods too soon might not be a good idea as she already gets so much more than your average child since she's an only child.

Good luck!

Reactions: MooMooVT and KS3
If you would spend $800+ on an iPhone for your teen I don’t see the difference of spending $500 for a pochette. Like in ten years is your kid who would now be in their 20’s look back fondly on their old phone? Oh I remember that iPhone 8 it was black and I could snap myself eating tide pods ~ oh the memories!

If you think your daughter will like a pochette and use it right now I would buy it for her.

I can speak to this on the other end of the discussion - I actually received a GORGEOUS multicolor piece back when I was about 13-15 (don't remember the exact age). My mom had gone on a business trip and it was a very special gift that she brought back. I've always been VERY careful with my belongings - making sure they were kept clean and tidy, never really misplacing things. However, I went to go see a movie with my friends and left the bag hanging on the handrail of the seat - went back two minutes later and naturally it was gone.

Point is - no matter how careful an individual is, kids will be kids and things still do happen. To this day a part of me is still disappointed, especially since it is a discontinued item that can never be replaced.

I have no children, and 4 nieces. 3 of them are old enough (IMO) to have received a few of my designer items here and there. I gave these 3 nieces each one of my barely used key pouches. They were all thrilled to say the least - one was 14, one was 15, and one 19 at the time. The 14 year old attached it to her backpack and used it at school, and takes excellent care of it. She is a doll, respectful, and I know this made her year to sort of have a small luxury item. The 15 year old lost it, and had an "oops, oh well" sort of attitude about it, all the while asking when she can get a replacement (this is *the* young person entitlement attitude - she also lost an iPhone I gave her as a hand me down, and shattered another iPad). The 19 year old, living in Florence now at 21, is sending me pictures almost daily of items from Gucci, LV, Dior, etc (she lives above the boutiques), is blogging, and is also a professional photographer. She is fascinated by luxury items, but saves her money and buys responsibly. She works 3 jobs and has a 4.0.

So, I did all of this as a test. Needless to say, the sacrifice wasn't huge for the investment in knowing which would care for and value gifts I give them. So perhaps starting out with something small, that you won't be totally pissed about if she loses or destroys it, as a beta test for how to maybe reward her going forward?

Hmmmm my daughters will get their first luxury bag when they are able to afford it on their own. This way the item is truly cherished.

Kids (most) don’t fully understand the value of an item. They get the excited Today but Tomorrow that ‘item’ is just meh another item in their collection. Some kids nowadays have this feeling of entitlement...everything served to them in a silver platter. Anyhow I just think it’s best to wait and have the develop their own sense of style.

My mom never bought me LV and I ended up buying my own when I turned 18.
I don't think 13 is too young, especially if it's something small and she has shown she is good at taking care of bags. I would just be afraid of her taking it to school, as I got something as cheap as a michael kors stolen junior year of high school :/

Reactions: bag345addict
When I was 15, my dad bought my a Pochette (the regular size one) when we were in Paris. My aunts told him to do it so he did. I didn’t use it until I was about 27! That’s the only time I wanted to! But I’ve used it everyday since as a cosmetic case and even reglued the strap twice because it’s falling apart. It’s my first LV piece and I treasure the fact that it’s from Paris and from my dad.

Despite appreciating it NOW, I think he shouldn’t have gotten it for me back then. I just wasn’t interested.

My mom used designer items ever since I was born (they’re divorced by the way). My mom never bought me any (to this day!) and would only allow me borrowing on super special occasions (prom and graduation). Only recently did she pass on her small vintage chanel flap to me, saying “it’s time” (I’m in my 30s and have since bought many of my own bags). She’s generous with a zillion other things but she always felt I should buy my own luxury items; or wait for the time she passes hers on one by one. I don’t know her reasoning but it sure has made me value her bags a TON. I know that for her to pass it to me means a lot.

I have my own daughter now and she has no interest (she’s still a toddler after all). Frankly I have no idea how I will act or feel about it when the time comes.

I suppose only we moms would know, instinctively, what is “right” or “appropriate” for our own daughters, as each one is so different.

Do what you feel is best for your family. LV or no LV, it’s the time spent together that’s most precious! Enjoy your trip!

I LOVE reading everyones responses and it truly has given me some insight. There are probably some information that I "should" have shared lol....
She is a straight A Student.....She is interested in LV...she is always commenting and talking about when she can get her first one etc. and not in a bratty "give it to me-way". That said, I do think there needs to be a commitment on her part. She will find out about the trip on Valentines day, so if she brings up LV (which I have good idea she will seeing as it is PARIS) I will tell her that I will go halfsies on a small bag like a pochette with her for her birthday and she can start saving up. That way she has some skin in the game so to speak, and it will "not just be handed" to her...... something like a pochette accessories she can use for a long time.
I think this is a good plan. We all have different priorities and means, and children are individuals who appreciate love and affection shown in different ways. If your daughter excitedly brings up the possibility of visiting LV boutiques while in Paris, do go! Enjoy it with her. She may not even want to buy anything by then, but she'll likely appreciate that you went together. But if she mentions wanting to buy an LV pochette accessoire or mini pochette, then your plan of "going halfsies" sounds fair, too. At least you're ready for either scenario. ;) Have a great vacation in Paris!

I would definitely get her one. What a great shared experience that will be! Even if the the bag does not last until she is 80 (as many people evidently expect that of a bag) she will likely treasure the memory.
I agree about what someone said above- compared to the computers, kindles, and iPhones we give without a second thought, a pochette would be a savings!

My advice is do whatever you can to give your child an appreciation of life, great life experiences, plenty of love. It really has nothing to do with whether a purse that expensive is appropriate for a teenager, is within your means or would be appreciated at such a young age. it has more to do with what you want to impress upon your daughter as being important in life. Just my humble opinion.

Personally my vote is no, wait until graduation. That being said, I have bought all of my LVs on my own. My mom did buy me a dooney and bourke in HS which is what I wanted bc all the girls at my school had them (the heart and star ones that lindsay lohan represnted...lol!). None of the girls in my HS had LV so I didn't want one until I got older.