Wearing Birkin to weddings

I didn't think my question would bring such strong responses from certain members. Moderator please feel free to shut this thread if you want to. Thanks to everyone who kindly contrubuted to it but It's heading in the wrong direction than what I intended it to be. Which is a light friendly chat about a lovely bag to a lovely event.

I didn't think my question would bring such strong responses from certain members. Moderator please feel free to shut this thread if you want to. Thanks to everyone who kindly contrubuted to it but It's heading in the wrong direction than what I intended it to be. Which is a light friendly chat about a lovely bag to a lovely event.

No need to close the thread.

If posts have veered too far off topic please feel free to report them.

flaunting? Depends what kind of guests will be at the wedding! That could be the norm.

A wedding is a formal affair whether it's in a garden, down the local pub or a hotel ballroom. Always better to take a small bag or clutch - can be hermes if you wish.
Only time i would take a birkin is if it is exotic skin and 25cm

+1

why is carrying it to a wedding crass but carrying them 364 other days of the year not crass? Who said they're trying to impress anyone? Not everyone buys a birkin to show off. It's pretty rude to assume that the op is a grandstanding show off.

Op, i do not think a birkin works for anything other than a casual luncheon wedding as its a casual tote, not because you'd be showing off. [emoji4]

+1000

Hi ladies,
Are birkins appropriate for a wedding? Have any of you wear your birkins to weddings? If so what size/leather/color combo did you use?

I think carry whatever you like... Birkin or whatever!!! All these rules are limiting and no fun! Fashion is an expression of one's self. Be yourself and enjoy the wedding. It's about the day and not the bag anyway!! :smile:

The current banter proves my original point, OP. Buy/wear what you want, and the feel sorry for those self-appointed arbiters of what's ridiculous and tacky who judge others at weddings instead of celebrating the newlyweds, enjoying their date, or shaking a tail feather.

This this this!!!!!!!:tup:

I've found this thread very enlightening. Thanks OP for posing this question. As a newbie to H (I got my first Birkin and Kelly less than 2 months ago), I have been carrying my birkin every where on the weekends because I am so so so so excited to finally own one! (Everywhere, except work, as I don't think it would be appropriate and I don't want the attention. ..I work in a corporate environment). I am hosting a friend's baby shower tomorrow (daytime tea party) and planned to take my Birkin, but I think now I'll keep it at home, as I think it will be the nicest bag at the event (all the ladies at the event are knowledgeable about bags) and since there may be a slight chance that it will take away from my friends special day (there will also be certain gossipy type negative ladies there). Hmmmm. I know my DH won't agree with my logic. .. Thanks for letting me ramble :smile:

Reactions: Runisaa
I've been off the forum for many months now, and was just catching up. This thread made me laugh a little so I wanted to comment as a guy.

My lady has taken different B30s to several weddings, and an Hermes Catenina to other weddings. So yes, I'd say it's totally fine to bring a Birkin to some weddings (but obviously, not all weddings).

It's pretty easy to figure out which weddings are Birkin appropriate: if the guys don't have to wear a tie, then you can relax the purse down too. Think vineyard with a lot of Silicon Valley types; it's going to be a lot less formal.

The Catenina is clutch-like, so it is a fantastic evening bag (in certain colors). Very versatile since it has a beautiful, delicate chain that can be long, short, or hidden...

I'm not worried about a guest upstaging the bride... I just don't see how that is possible when the bride is wearing a huge, poofy white dress. And wouldn't you want successful, put together people at your wedding? I see it as adding some extra glamour, not a zero-sum game versus the bride.

Last point: most people don't recognize Hermes products anyhow (and I say this having spent handily on H). So really the decision to bring a Birkin or other H purse is about style, not meaning (I.e. no need to worry whether it is okay to have the most expensive bag at the party, possibly costing more than some wedding dresses for younger folks).

PS I've seen a lot of unhappy clutches at weddings... I honestly don't know where these clutches come from, but you've surely seen them... Sequins fallen off, threads loose, etc.

If it is a choice between a dark, b25/b30 Birkin for a formal, evening wedding versus a ratty, back-of-the-closet clutch -- I would totally prefer the quality one.

I've been off the forum for many months now, and was just catching up. This thread made me laugh a little so I wanted to comment as a guy.

My lady has taken different B30s to several weddings, and an Hermes Catenina to other weddings. So yes, I'd say it's totally fine to bring a Birkin to some weddings (but obviously, not all weddings).

It's pretty easy to figure out which weddings are Birkin appropriate: if the guys don't have to wear a tie, then you can relax the purse down too. Think vineyard with a lot of Silicon Valley types; it's going to be a lot less formal.

The Catenina is clutch-like, so it is a fantastic evening bag (in certain colors). Very versatile since it has a beautiful, delicate chain that can be long, short, or hidden...

I'm not worried about a guest upstaging the bride... I just don't see how that is possible when the bride is wearing a huge, poofy white dress. And wouldn't you want successful, put together people at your wedding? I see it as adding some extra glamour, not a zero-sum game versus the bride.

Last point: most people don't recognize Hermes products anyhow (and I say this having spent handily on H). So really the decision to bring a Birkin or other H purse is about style, not meaning (I.e. no need to worry whether it is okay to have the most expensive bag at the party, possibly costing more than some wedding dresses for younger folks).

PS I've seen a lot of unhappy clutches at weddings... I honestly don't know where these clutches come from, but you've surely seen them... Sequins fallen off, threads loose, etc.

If it is a choice between a dark, b25/b30 Birkin for a formal, evening wedding versus a ratty, back-of-the-closet clutch -- I would totally prefer the quality one.

Hahah! Good post. I can't agree more.

I have only used H bags to weddings since I started my H collection 10 years ago. Not because I want to upstage anyone but because I only have H bags these days anyway. and because I love using my bags, especially on special occasions. In 10 years I have gone to maybe 100 weddings, and less than 10 times somebody recognized my bag as an Hermes bag. Most people don't know or don't care.

So I really wouldn't worry too much about whether it's appropriate to use a Birkin to a wedding or not. As the saying goes, what's important to you (your dress, your shoes, your bag, your hair) is really not that important to anyone else.

The Birkin was designed to be a practical tote. If the wedding's one where you'll need a practical tote, then by all means bring it. I've been to weddings recently where the guests accumulated lots of mementos - from selfie photo booths, DIY party favors, etc. - more like a child's birthday party than a wedding in IMO. So if you'll need to carry home a bunch of "loot" a tote may be appropriate.

Most of the ones I go to, though, are more formal and call for dressier ensembles. So to those I'll carry a nice clutch or a small, dressy handbag. Gotta have something for tissues and makeup repair!

good point 1000%%%%%%%%%%%% agreed