Wearing Birkin to weddings

I just don't think you can go wrong with a clutch- a clutch is always appropriate for a wedding, day or night.

I will respectfully disagree with the idea that rules don't matter. Certain events, like a wedding or a funeral, are not about the guests, so these are not the occasions to "break the rules" and do whatever. Following rules of attire is about being respectful.

Agree....if you don't believe there are style "rules" don't read threads about what is or is not appropriate for an event, just make your own decisions. Most people are going to say a tote is not within the rules of style for most weddings.
But there is also etiquette, and that's about respect.

To me anything small elegant
Is appropriate

+1.

While I don't agree with carrying birkin to weddings, i am beginning to think that the size of clutches are just ridiculous. I had to attend a society party recently and I had a JL clutch. All I could fit in it was credit cards, car key and money rolled up. House keys stayed in the glove compartment of my car. My iPhone couldn't fit in it. While the ensemble looked great I started to question the usefulness of these clutches. I spent the evening holding on to my iPhone and the clutch. Luckily I wasn't motivated to dance.

While I don't agree with carrying birkin to weddings, i am beginning to think that the size of clutches are just ridiculous. I had to attend a society party recently and I had a JL clutch. All I could fit in it was credit cards, car key and money rolled up. House keys stayed in the glove compartment of my car. My iPhone couldn't fit in it. While the ensemble looked great I started to question the usefulness of these clutches. I spent the evening holding on to my iPhone and the clutch. Luckily I wasn't motivated to dance.

THIS. So true, gbese. :love:

My rule is to make sure I am not in the spotlight. It is the day of both partners celebrating.
That said, it depends on so many factors that many already mentioned. Still, if the wedding is full of guest wearing high-end designers then why not. I have seen it. If it is not, then I would rather blend for respect of those getting married especially if my bag will cause a big discussion. Check the venue, it will give you an idea. I am all for wearing and doing what you love. But here, I would stay on the side of caution.

We seem to be discussing two things:

1) Is a Birkin, because it is a tote and by nature somewhat casual, appropriate for a wedding?

Anything can be appropriate anywhere. If it's a beach wedding barefoot in the sand, a straw tote may be ok. If it's a rock climbing wedding on a rock face (I went to one) you may be carrying a backpack. If it's a Burning Man wedding, many guests may be wearing only body paint (been to one of these also). I'm assuming horseback Renaissance faire weddings require saddle bags.

However your run of the mill suit-and-dress wedding generally calls for a smallish bag. If the B works with what you're wearing, fantastic.

But 2) there seems to be an overtone also of "Is a Birkin "showing off"?", akin to wearing something very, very sexy at en event where the bride is supposed to shine.

Only two things can answer this - what's the milieu/is this, in this gathering, going to be an egregious display of wealth? And do you want to wear your Birkin to a wedding just to show off that you have one? If the answer to either question is yes, personally I would leave the B at home.

Since no answer will apply universally I feel it's all a bit :btdh: at this point :flowers:

Omg! Cracking up so bad at the beating a dead horse imoji! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

We seem to be discussing two things:

1) Is a Birkin, because it is a tote and by nature somewhat casual, appropriate for a wedding?

Anything can be appropriate anywhere. If it's a beach wedding barefoot in the sand, a straw tote may be ok. If it's a rock climbing wedding on a rock face (I went to one) you may be carrying a backpack. If it's a Burning Man wedding, many guests may be wearing only body paint (been to one of these also). I'm assuming horseback Renaissance faire weddings require saddle bags.

However your run of the mill suit-and-dress wedding generally calls for a smallish bag. If the B works with what you're wearing, fantastic.

But 2) there seems to be an overtone also of "Is a Birkin "showing off"?", akin to wearing something very, very sexy at en event where the bride is supposed to shine.

Only two things can answer this - what's the milieu/is this, in this gathering, going to be an egregious display of wealth? And do you want to wear your Birkin to a wedding just to show off that you have one? If the answer to either question is yes, personally I would leave the B at home.

Since no answer will apply universally I feel it's all a bit :btdh: at this point :flowers: