Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

The legacy zip 9966 was authenticated in TPF and I immediately grabbed it.. It’s my second vintage coach. I sold my first one, city bag, as it was too long for me as a xbody (I am 5’2)..

Before buying legacy zip, I could not decide which model I wanted and also looking for classic shoulder 9170, stewardess, and duffle 9085... Just grab the first one with color (i like brit tan) and good condition..

I would to hear your thoughts on those models and which you prefer and why, as I’d like to have another style of vintage coach.. one is never enough, don’t you agree ? :biggrin:

Attachments

• C538CDB4-946B-485A-ACB5-6178B733E1CF.jpeg
    C538CDB4-946B-485A-ACB5-6178B733E1CF.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 250
Hi all! I've been lurking on this forum for a while but haven't posted yet. I've been collecting vintage Coach bags over the years and have accumulated over 30 bags! One of my favorite things to do is find the old catalogs associated with the purses I own but there is one bag I just can't seem to find anywhere online - 1996 Bixby Sling - 9984. Does anyone happen to know if this bag was featured in the catalogs and if so, do you happen to have a copy you could share with me? Thanks so much!
I don't have a catalog of my own but I snagged this picture off an ebay listing.

Attachments

• 9984 bixby sling a.jpg
    9984 bixby sling a.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 257
The legacy zip 9966 was authenticated in TPF and I immediately grabbed it.. It’s my second vintage coach. I sold my first one, city bag, as it was too long for me as a xbody (I am 5’2)..

Before buying legacy zip, I could not decide which model I wanted and also looking for classic shoulder 9170, stewardess, and duffle 9085... Just grab the first one with color (i like brit tan) and good condition..

I would to hear your thoughts on those models and which you prefer and why, as I’d like to have another style of vintage coach.. one is never enough, don’t you agree ? :biggrin:

I’d guess the 9085 duffle would be too huge for you. It’s a monster, but I have at 3, maybe 4 of them! One of my favs.
ETA- The Stewardess is big enough, but prone to overloading and highly faked. Make sure you see photos of where the body meets the straps. Also, authenticate BEFORE you buy.
I have 2, but rarely carry because a “flap” bag annoys me.

Last edited:

It depends on what kind of bag you want - shoulder bag, crossbody, satchel? Do you like flaps? Do you need an exterior pocket?

Looks like a beautiful Legacy Zip there!

I am 5'3" with a slender frame. Of the other bags you asked about, I have the 9170 and have had both regular and United Airlines Stewardesses. The regular Stewardess felt too large for me. The United Airlines Stewardess has slightly smaller measurements and is a much better fit for me. It has a shorter strap and will only work as a shoulder bag, not a crossbody. It has a good layout of pockets and holds a lot. No outside pocket on the back, which would be nice, but I do OK without it. These are very hard to find in good condition.

IMG_0710.JPG

The 9170 Classic Shoulder Bag is, for me, practically perfect in every way (as Mary Poppins would say!) It is not a crossbody, and only works as a shoulder bag, as the name implies. It is easy to get in and out of. No zipper, no turnlock, just that lovely, supple full length flap. Also no outside back pocket. One full length pocket under the flap which holds an iPad Mini perfectly. Main compartment holds two pairs of glasses in cases, wallet, keys, phone, room for a paperback book etc. I love its elegant simplicity.
9170 Classic Shoulder Bag.jpg

Another smaller bag that I love is the one mentioned a few posts above, the Bixby Sling 9984. It's a drawstring sling that holds what I need and is fun to carry. It's shown below on the right, along with the Companion Bag 9300 in the middle, and the Prairie Bag 9954 (a beautiful style, which might also work for you) on the left:

British Tan Prairie Bag 1995, Companion Bag NYC 1980s, Bixby Sling 1997.JPG

Hi Couturexec, yeah I was thinking the same with 9085 as I never seen vintage coach irl except city bag in my possession for a while and Patricia legacy at someone passing by in front of me in some department store.. it might be too tall and I am afraid that I tend to carry a LOT OF things whenever I am able to.

And the stewardess, i thought so about the flap as it is a big flap at a glance. i have to move that big flap whenever I want to grab or put something, thus two hands might be required..

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Reactions: Couturexec
Hi Catbird9.. and also Hi whateve, anyway you and BeenBurned authenticated this 9966 bag for me in another forum, thanks again.

Satchel was and currently is not my style, dont know in the future. But now I’m not into exploring it.

I was thinking the 36 inches strap model such as stewardess, classic pouch and duffle 9085. Legacy zip is officially 42 inches and below pict how I wear it as xbody. Left is the shortest. The right is the longest setting and a bit too long for me (5'2, similar to Catbird9 height of 5'3).

So I guess 36 inches strap model might serve as a xbody for me at the longest setting on me, but still I'm not so sure. Your thoughts are welcome..

Classic pouch seems nice but no turnlock makes me questioning whether the flap stays in its place, and my things inside are safe from spilling outside.. I forgot about this United airline stewardess, Catbird9’s is nice, in british tan isn’t it? It’s a mission impossible to get one I bet.. I can live without outside pocket I guess.. About the strap of stewardess, is it much shorter than the classic pouch?

From my search, Companion bag has thin strap, and Prairie has wider but not as wide as stewardess, I prefer the widest strap.. i just know Bixby today, so i’ll search more info, thanks.. 1D1B76CC-1B94-43FF-B704-FDF35BFBD8C1.jpeg

Reactions: katev and Catbird9
Hi Catbird9.. and also Hi whateve, anyway you and BeenBurned authenticated this 9966 bag for me in another forum, thanks again.

Satchel was and currently is not my style, dont know in the future. But now I’m not into exploring it.

I was thinking the 36 inches strap model such as stewardess, classic pouch and duffle 9085. Legacy zip is officially 42 inches and below pict how I wear it as xbody. Left is the shortest. The right is the longest setting and a bit too long for me (5'2, similar to Catbird9 height of 5'3).

So I guess 36 inches strap model might serve as a xbody for me at the longest setting on me, but still I'm not so sure. Your thoughts are welcome..

Classic pouch seems nice but no turnlock makes me questioning whether the flap stays in its place, and my things inside are safe from spilling outside.. I forgot about this United airline stewardess, Catbird9’s is nice, in british tan isn’t it? It’s a mission impossible to get one I bet.. I can live without outside pocket I guess.. About the strap of stewardess, is it much shorter than the classic pouch?

From my search, Companion bag has thin strap, and Prairie has wider but not as wide as stewardess, I prefer the widest strap.. i just know Bixby today, so i’ll search more info, thanks.. View attachment 4195516

The UAL Stewardess I posted above is Tabac, probably. The strap on that one is 35.5". The strap on my Classic Pouch is the same length. You make a good point about the possibility of contents spilling out from the Classic Pouch; fortunately that disaster hasn't happened to me yet!

As you may know, some bags were available with different strap length choices, and straps may have been switched over the years, so for any vintage bag you're considering purchasing, you should verify the strap length with the seller.

Good luck in your search for your next vintage Coach. It's true, just one is not enough!

Does anyone have a Ranch bag? I got this one today and this is inside. It's like there is an extra layer of extra thin suede that covers the inside bottom and goes partway up the sides. It is all frayed.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 165
Does anyone have a Ranch bag? I got this one today and this is inside. It's like there is an extra layer of extra thin suede that covers the inside bottom and goes partway up the sides. It is all frayed.
I have one. There is an extra layer. Must have done that to cover up the bottom seam However, yours look like an unfinished edge. [emoji848]IMG_20180917_174351593.jpeg