Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

I just bought myself a large treat. I hope it doesn't have any surprise ink stains as it's quite a light color. Did I pay a good price? I never really know with pre creed stuff...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Vinta...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
It's an early version of the #9085 Duffle Sac introduced in 1971. The initial releases had metal tags and this rendition (with the riveted on buckle tabs, finished lower seam, and no interior slip pocket) was only made for a couple of years. It was replaced by the next evolution (with sewn on buckle tabs, bound lower seam, vertical seams located midpanel to the buckles and zipper, and a interior slip pocket) that was made from the pre-creed period through the latter half of the 1970s (creed/no number). That design was subsequently superseded by the modern version of the duffle sac that we're all familiar with (integrated roll-over buckle tabs with two rivers, vertical seams aligned with the buckles and zipper).

IMO, you paid a fair price given its condition (obvious stains). Even though this is a lighter colored bag, check the upper edge binding carefully as the cracking is a known issue (especially on darker colored bags from this era for reasons that are not readily apparent). Also inspect the vertical seams as torn threads/missing stitching is also a recurring problem.

Good luck cleaning this one up. It should make for a nice project

It's an early version of the #9085 Duffle Sac introduced in 1971. The initial releases had metal tags and this rendition (with the riveted on buckle tabs, finished lower seam, and no interior slip pocket) was only made for a couple of years. It was replaced by the next evolution (with sewn on buckle tabs, bound lower seam, vertical seams located midpanel to the buckles and zipper, and a interior slip pocket) that was made from the pre-creed period through the latter half of the 1970s (creed/no number). That design was subsequently superseded by the modern version of the duffle sac that we're all familiar with (integrated roll-over buckle tabs with two rivers, vertical seams aligned with the buckles and zipper).

IMO, you paid a fair price given its condition (obvious stains). Even though this is a lighter colored bag, check the upper edge binding carefully as the cracking is a known issue (especially on darker colored bags from this era for reasons that are not readily apparent). Also inspect the vertical seams as torn threads/missing stitching is also a recurring problem.

Good luck cleaning this one up. It should make for a nice project

Cool thanks for all the tips! Hopefully the stains will at least fade with a little washing finesse. It does look to be in pretty good shape but always hard to know until it's in my hands. I love having some pre creed in my collection and I will likely use this one a lot. I have 2 other bucket bags from later that I have used a lot because the shape is handy for what I take to work.

image.jpg
Cool thanks for all the tips! Hopefully the stains will at least fade with a little washing finesse. It does look to be in pretty good shape but always hard to know until it's in my hands. I love having some pre creed in my collection and I will likely use this one a lot. I have 2 other bucket bags from later that I have used a lot because the shape is handy for what I take to work.

Belicious, here's one of my duffles like the one you just won, and it's among my favorite Vintage Coach bags. It's weightless, compared to later models, which I love. It stains easily, and permanently, since the leather is naked. Every blue moon, I clean it. But mainly, I simply carry it. I hope you will be able to think of the stains in yours as character marks, indeed, as part of the bag's rich history.

View attachment 3788570

Belicious, here's one of my duffles like the one you just won, and it's among my favorite Vintage Coach bags. It's weightless, compared to later models, which I love. It stains easily, and permanently, since the leather is naked. Every blue moon, I clean it. But mainly, I simply carry it. I hope you will be able to think of the stains in yours as character marks, indeed, as part of the bag's rich history.
That is gorgeous!

Reactions: fin2012
View attachment 3788570

I remember seeing a pic of your bag in the archived thread - it's gorgeous! It was the first pre creed one with the rolled in seam I'd seen. Glad to see it's still getting love.

Reactions: ProfessorLV
View attachment 3788570

I love it! Looks gorgeous!

Reactions: ProfessorLV
I just bought myself a large treat. I hope it doesn't have any surprise ink stains as it's quite a light color. Did I pay a good price? I never really know with pre creed stuff...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Vinta...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

View attachment 3788570

Now, I need a light colored duffle sac.