Vacation - don't bring LV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT-Karman when you changed your signature pix? the Miror pochette is stunning, but i guess this cheery cherry blossom is for this spring? Just go and enjoy your trip, there's only so many you can do to ensure a fun trip, leave the custom to luck:smile: have any of your family face custom problems b/c of LV? as you said, one can get questioned just about anything for anyreason, so relax!

Haha, my family...LV? No way! I think I'm one of the only three girls in my ENTIRE family (out of like 40 first cousins...no not all female though :lol:) who buy LV and the other two girls are both in HK...so I don't think they've had any experience with Canadian customs yet.

I changed my signature because it was getting a little too boring! I like this cherry blossom better.

In NYC, anyway, John Liu is the only political person (he's on the city council) who is trying to help speak for Asians, like the boy who was shot by the cop and no one paid attention. But no one is supporting him enough (unlike Al Sharpton) because it is much harder to vocally support these causes because they get labeled as being "harsh" or get told "Why bother? Maybe you're too sensitive..." "Other Asians are okay with the ching chong ching thing...it's just a joke"
Although I don't find CEC so offensive to be called names, I find it sad that no one replied in favor of aluminum siren. Just venting...

I think that Chinese people are really harsh on their race. When Rosie O'Donnel made that racist comment on "The View" recently, it took a while for angry Chinese people to be heard and she FINALLY apologized but it took 10x as long as if she had made the comment about a different minority. (She said something that included ching chong ching chong)...
When the first baby born in 2007 was denied the award because her mom was an illegal immigrant (the award is for the BABY not the mom)...it took a while for Chinese people to speak up and ToysR US FINALLY gave them the award.

I feel bad because aluminum siren is the only person who picked up on this and was offended enough to reply. I know CEC was trying to help Karman but why is no one defending aluminum siren?
It's Chinese culture to keep peace in everything, another factor could be English is not some Chinese's primary language thus slow down the process to express the anger. And I do agree CEC's post was over the line. However let's keep in mind Karman is the one who open this thread, as long as Karman don't find CEC's post offensive, we shouldn't be too harsh on her post.:idea:

In any case, I apologize to aluminum_siren for all the grief that this thread has caused, I seriously did not see any problems coming.

If necessary, I can request a thread closing action from one of the mods :shrugs:

I dont think there's a problem wearing LV in HK.... it's all over the place, especially over on the HK side... you get more fakes in the Kowloon side... i.e. Mongkok etc... but in HK side, like Causeway bay, Central, Admiralty etc... it's very common... it's pretty safe, you'll be suprised... my mum and aunties all carry Birkins & they've never had a problem... LVs is very common... just dont go to China with it I reckon...

as for the customs thing... going into HK is no problem... I've brought about 4 LVs going back to HK last Christmas... no problems at all... but coming back is a problem in some countries but I think if it usually looks used then it's fine... NZ is so conservative they dont know what LVs are... I've also brought a few of my old LVs into NZ last year coming back & have had no problems... as long as it doesnt look new it's fine... most of mine have a med patina...

but Canada may be more strict... I heard from my Aunty that my cousin was held up in Customs & had to pay big bucks in October when she went back to Vancouver with 6 LVs!!!

just take 1 day time LV and 1 night time LV with you & you'll be fine... unless you're planning on buying more LVs in HK (it's much cheaper!)... then leave your LVs at home...

good luck!

As I said earlier, my main worry isn't actually BEING in HK, I've was born there (probably like you) and have been back numerous times and I definitely know it's NO problem carrying expensive bags around, I am more worried about travelling home to Canada and going through customs, which is probably than you going back to New Zealand.

oops sorry Karman, just read this... please ignore my previous post! sorry 1am in morning... ooh... bringing back into canada... hmm... I dont know what it's like in Canada so not much help but like i said when my cousin bought her LVs into Canada in October... she had big trouble!!! but I think receipts like everyone else said, should do the trick...

sorry again for rambling nonsense/unhelpful stuff! ;)

Hi karman!!! I'm going to hongkong for 3 days on the 3rd week of march as well! :smile: im bringing my damier pochette melville and staying in causeway bay!

"Ughhhh.... if you want to bring your LVs, then stuff them in your luggage, don't carry them around cuz when some Chinese people see that you have LVs, they can become really rude, scary and......odd........ eg. they try to mooch money off of ya......."

This is sooooooo off-topic BUT I need to clear up what I said. I am assuming you are from Hong Kong yourself - I simply cannot believe you don't find that IGNORNANT statement above offensive. Don't carry them around cause some CHINESE people see that you have LV they will try to mooch money off you? Why is it only CHINESE people? :cursing:

I am sure that if the above statement was replaced with BLACK people, I am sure she would have hell to pay from every person (black or not) on this forum.

And no, not EVERY girl in Hong Kong has LVs, but every remotely fashionable girl in Hong Kong has some sort of designer bag in her closet.

I agree with you and can see why her comments can be offensive. Tactless comments are prevalent on tPF...I just try to ignore them :shrugs:

So Karman, have you come to a decision yet? :graucho:

I think you should at least bring a small bag with you to use for dinners. When I went to Hawaii, we had a lot of activities planned (snorkeling, ATVing, jet skiing) where I would have to leave my bag unattended...so I didn't bring any LVs. But I wish I had brought a pochette or something for all the nice restaurants we ate at!

So Karman, have you come to a decision yet? :graucho:

I think you should at least bring a small bag with you to use for dinners. When I went to Hawaii, we had a lot of activities planned (snorkeling, ATVing, jet skiing) where I would have to leave my bag unattended...so I didn't bring any LVs. But I wish I had brought a pochette or something for all the nice restaurants we ate at!

I am still deciding!
I think I will go ahead and bring my Papillon and my Accordeon wallet...but nothing that won't fit my Accordeon because that means I'll have to bring along my CC holder and my PMP too...and I don't want to bring too many accessories.

So, I was thinking Accordeon...and maybe a no-vachetta large shoulder bag. Now I don't have one of those, so I may need to go out and buy one, although I'm supposed to be on a ban to save $$ for this trip! :lol: I may just bring my papillon and another non-LV instead. Probably one of my cheap Guess bags or something.

In any case, I apologize to aluminum_siren for all the grief that this thread has caused, I seriously did not see any problems coming.

If necessary, I can request a thread closing action from one of the mods :shrugs:

Oh, you don't have to apologize, everyone is entitled to their opinion. This is a forum and I believe we should be able to express ourselves. :smile:

Oh, you don't have to apologize, everyone is entitled to their opinion. This is a forum and I believe we should be able to express ourselves. :smile:

Hi everyone again, I'm really sorry for causing this debate over my "ignorant" comment. I originally saw aluminum_siren's post about me a few days ago and decided to let it go cuz afterall, "we should be able to express ourselves", so I tolerated his opinion about me. Now coming back, I feel like every post of his after shares nothing new other than more attacks about my "ignorant" mind and at one point he even said that I have "limited observation".... I just find it funny how one sentence can imply that I have little knowledge of the world. I have seen far and wide, born in China, raised in the West and I continue to go back to my native country almost every year. My point is that by saying that I'm ignorant, you are not much better than me either.
As for the comment, I do realize that I may be a lil harsh, but clearly my emphasis was on *SOME* Chinese people. I believe that people don't make random judgements, so when i said that it's because I've had actual experiences while travelling. Eg. taxi drivers think we're wealthy foreigners and go around and around doing extra turns before arriving at the destination which added another 10$ to his pocket. I know HK is a very fashionable place, and I have no probs if Karman decides to use LVs there, I'm just concerned for her about the entire process of travelling. Nevertheless, I need to apologize if indeed you are offended by my original post.
Also, someone mentioned about China's internal conflict? ya...I agree, eg. Taiwan/Mongolia/Tibet and mainland China now. Historically, China has never been a unified country because (I think) of its massive land it occupies and the high population which makes it hard to govern and unite.

About rosie's comment.... ching chong... what? haha I think it's funny! seriously! To tell you guys the truth, I didn't know English when i first immigrated to Canada, and a lot of kids ridiculed me and they'd always say ching chong stuff and point fingers...etc. Now I just laugh it off! I'm seriously not offended (or maybe i'm just de-sensitized by all the nasty remarks made against Chinese people in my youth) cuz I think 99% of the people in this world are deep down or at some point have been descriminative, stereotypical, racist... and above all HYPOCRITES including myself (learned this in Ethics class cuz apparently it's human nature)!!! Seriously, how many of us have NEVER judged another person? Perhaps you're all righteous now, but what about your youth or mentally in your mind? Now before bashing me for this, that's not my point: I think it's important to OVERLOOK all the descriminations which are due to our DIFFERENCES in life, and I'd rather be different and be descriminated against than to be a follower or blend in with the others. I appreciate Rosie's comments, so what if they're blunt and harsh? At least she speaks her mind (which has some degree of truth) and isn't afraid of Donald *****! lol

PS: Thanks Karman for defending me! I hope you have a safe trip and BEWARE of taxi drivers!!!!!! :biggrin:

i usually leave these bags at home and then when i come back i carry a new bag hehe cause whenever i go to hk which is very often >< i get a new back, no taxes there and when i carry it bag i avoid customs taxes.

this thread brings up and interesting point. I am supposed to head to HK in the next few months and will have my Pegase60 with me.

'm going to make sure I have the receipt from the US LVboutique I purchased it from.

Maybe that's the best way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.