U.S. Custom Import Duty Drawback/Refund?

Jun 4, 2006
Hi, I recently purchased a Hermès bag online from Collector Square in France, and I paid for the import duty through UPS (via their broker). If I’d like to return the bag back to France, how do I submit claim for the duty drawback (refund of the import duty I paid)? Is there broker who would provide that service for individual buyers (all the info I have seen online so far are broker services for companies/merchants rather than individual consumers buying things online for personal use). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all, just want to see if anyone in the U.S. has purchased and returned items back to Collector Square in France. I recently purchased a Hermes Roulis, listed as “Like new” from them. However, I’m disappointed in the condition; it is NOT “Like new” as listed on their site. Their listing mentioned nothing about the blemishes/indentation or any flaws. Their customer service texted me additional photos AFTER I already placed the order asking me if I want to confirm dispatch. The photos I received from their customer service were not taken under good lighting and did not include any close-up shots of the problem area. So even though I could see some blemishes on the front flap, I told them to proceed with the order since their customer service claimed that the blemishes on the flap of the bag are “hardly visible.”

Upon inspection after receiving the bag yesterday, I think the blemish is worse than what their photos show. It is definitely not “hardly visible”! They need to disclose any flaws on their listing before customers place an order. And even if they found out there are flaws after the order is placed, at least send some good close up photos in high resolution! I feel like their customer service was really downplaying the flaws, which is quite dishonest!

Anyway, they have a 14-day return period, but I’m hoping they will also pay for the shipping since it is their fault for not disclosing the flaws with good, clear photos.

My another concern is how can I get the import duty I paid to US custom back? I paid for the import duty through UPS (via their broker). Can I get that import duty back on returned good? And how do I submit claim for the duty drawback/refund? Is there broker who would provide that service for individual buyers (all the info I have seen online so far are broker services for companies/merchants rather than individual consumers buying things online for personal use). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: 880
Sorry I can’t help with the international tax and shipping refund questions. I think the quickest way is to find out from the seller? If the bag is listed as “like new condition“ and I do see slightly blemishes I would not expected it to be “new condition“. Based on what you wrote I think the seller has disclosed enough to their standard of conduct and the “like new” condition they listed but obviously not up to your standard. What you should have asked for is more closed up and clear pictures before ok on the dispatch knowing that there are hardly visible blemishes which can be very vague statement in individual personal‘s view. Hope you get it resolved with the seller at least they offer refund within reasonable timeframe. Good luck dear.

Hi all, just want to see if anyone in the U.S. has purchased and returned items back to Collector Square in France. I recently purchased a Hermes Roulis, listed as “Like new” from them. However, I’m disappointed in the condition; it is NOT “Like new” as listed on their site. Their listing mentioned nothing about the blemishes/indentation or any flaws. Their customer service texted me additional photos AFTER I already placed the order asking me if I want to confirm dispatch. The photos I received from their customer service were not taken under good lighting and did not include any close-up shots of the problem area. So even though I could see some blemishes on the front flap, I told them to proceed with the order since their customer service claimed that the blemishes on the flap of the bag are “hardly visible.”

Upon inspection after receiving the bag yesterday, I think the blemish is worse than what their photos show. It is definitely not “hardly visible”! They need to disclose any flaws on their listing before customers place an order. And even if they found out there are flaws after the order is placed, at least send some good close up photos in high resolution! I feel like their customer service was really downplaying the flaws, which is quite dishonest!

Anyway, they have a 14-day return period, but I’m hoping they will also pay for the shipping since it is their fault for not disclosing the flaws with good, clear photos.

My another concern is how can I get the import duty I paid to US custom back? I paid for the import duty through UPS (via their broker). Can I get that import duty back on returned good? And how do I submit claim for the duty drawback/refund? Is there broker who would provide that service for individual buyers (all the info I have seen online so far are broker services for companies/merchants rather than individual consumers buying things online for personal use). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Rouge H
Sorry I can’t help with the international tax and shipping refund questions. I think the quickest way is to find out from the seller? If the bag is listed as “like new condition“ and I do see slightly blemishes I would not expected it to be “new condition“. Based on what you wrote I think the seller has disclosed enough to their standard of conduct and the “like new” condition they listed but obviously not up to your standard. What you should have asked for is more closed up and clear pictures before ok on the dispatch knowing that there are hardly visible blemishes which can be very vague statement in individual personal‘s view. Hope you get it resolved with the seller at least they offer refund within reasonable timeframe. Good luck dear.

The seller is fine with the refund (they have a 14-day refund policy). They also offer to cover the return shipping because they know they are at fault. I think my question is the duty drawback process with US custom.

Last edited:
So nobody has tried to get their import duty back from US custom when returning an international online purchase? I know that some overseas merchant already includes the import duty in their prices in which case they will take care of the import duty refund (like Matches or 24S). But what about merchants who don’t deal with that and you paid the import duty to the carrier directly (UPS, DHL)? I’m surprised that nobody ever talked about US import duty refund here in TPF.

So nobody has tried to get their import duty back from US custom when returning an international online purchase? I know that some overseas merchant already includes the import duty in their prices in which case they will take care of the import duty refund (like Matches or 24S). But what about merchants who don’t deal with that and you paid the import duty to the carrier directly (UPS, DHL)? I’m surprised that nobody ever talked about US import duty refund here in TPF.

I bought something from a company in Italy and paid DHL customs fees. I needed to return the item, which I did. I never tried to get my customs fees back -- everything I read seemed to say it's a very difficult, involved process and I chalked it up to a learning experience. I now only buy from European companies that include all customs fees in the cost of the item. Lesson learned.

I bought something from a company in Italy and paid DHL customs fees. I needed to return the item, which I did. I never tried to get my customs fees back -- everything I read seemed to say it's a very difficult, involved process and I chalked it up to a learning experience. I now only buy from European companies that include all customs fees in the cost of the item. Lesson learned.
Thanks for verifying what I suspected given what I have read on CBP website... definitely an expensive lesson for me as I spent $550 just to see a bag that is not as described by the seller!

Reactions: lulilu
Thanks for verifying what I suspected given what I have read on CBP website... definitely an expensive lesson for me as I spent $550 just to see a bag that is not as described by the seller!

Unfortunately lulilu is right... I purchased a bag from Selfridges a few months ago, and sadly it was just too big. I spoke with Selfridges, and they informed me that it was my responsibility to recoup the duty fees. I did a lot of digging, and it seems close to impossible/a complete nightmare to get this money back from the US CBP. That being said, how did you pay for your bag? If you paid with a credit card, I’d go to them for help. If this were just a case of buyers remorse, that would be one thing, but you received an item that is clearly not as described. IMO, you shouldn’t be responsible for return shipping, and should be refunded the duty fees as well...I wouldn’t go down without a fight if I were you - that’s a lot of money we’re talking about, and the onus is on the seller.

Unfortunately lulilu is right... I purchased a bag from Selfridges a few months ago, and sadly it was just too big. I spoke with Selfridges, and they informed me that it was my responsibility to recoup the duty fees. I did a lot of digging, and it seems close to impossible/a complete nightmare to get this money back from the US CBP. That being said, how did you pay for your bag? If you paid with a credit card, I’d go to them for help. If this were just a case of buyers remorse, that would be one thing, but you received an item that is clearly not as described. IMO, you shouldn’t be responsible for return shipping, and should be refunded the duty fees as well...I wouldn’t go down without a fight if I were you - that’s a lot of money we’re talking about, and the onus is on the seller.

The seller will refund for everything I paid them and they will also pay for the return shipping. However, since I paid US custom through UPS broker, the seller said that has nothing to do with them. I don’t think contacting my cc (or PayPal, I paid the seller thru Paypal with my cc) would do anything because that transaction to pay US custom was payable to UPS, which is a separate transaction from the actual purchase. In other words, there’s nothing to dispute on as far as my cc’s concern: not the transaction with the seller since seller will refund that amount in its entirety, and not the transaction to pay USP since UPS did pay US custom on my behalf. Like what Lulilu said, it’s an expensive lesson; now that I know I’ll never make an international purchase with a merchant who doesn’t include duty in their retailers prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: lulilu
Have you called UPS? That might be a good place to start.
I did email UPS and checked with their drawback department. They said their broker service does not help individual customer to file duty drawback as they do not handle smaller transaction claims, they have a flat fee of $5,000 per export for most transactional drawback claims. Meaning for duty drawback, their customers are companies and merchants who actually export a good amount of goods, not individuals who make online purchases online. I do not think there are any broker who helps individual with smaller claims like this; all broker services I saw online are for companies that are in the import/export trading business.

I honestly think that the Fed govt intentionally makes it impossible to get the custom duty back because they want you to shop domestic.

Last edited:
The seller will refund for everything I paid them and they will also pay for the return shipping. However, since I paid US custom through UPS broker, the seller said that has nothing to do with them. I don’t think contacting my cc (or PayPal, I paid the seller thru Paypal with my cc) would do anything because that transaction to pay US custom was payable to UPS, which is a separate transaction from the actual purchase. In other words, there’s nothing to dispute on as far as my cc’s concern: not the transaction with the seller since seller will refund that amount in its entirety, and not the transaction to pay USP since UPS did pay US custom on my behalf. Like what Lulilu said, it’s an expensive lesson; now that I know I’ll never make an international purchase with a merchant who doesn’t include duty in their retailers prices.

Gotcha. I hadn’t realized you’d paid the duty fees directly to UPS. When I purchased from Selfridges they collected everything upfront, and handled the duty fees that went to DHL.
I do still think it might be worth a call to your credit card company, because the item is not as described. You’d be surprised what lengths CC companies will go to to keep their customers happy...

Either way, glad you’ll be getting the bulk of your $ refunded.

Reactions: 880
Gotcha. I hadn’t realized you’d paid the duty fees directly to UPS. When I purchased from Selfridges they collected everything upfront, and handled the duty fees that went to DHL.
I do still think it might be worth a call to your credit card company, because the item is not as described. You’d be surprised what lengths CC companies will go to to keep their customers happy...

Either way, glad you’ll be getting the bulk of your $ refunded.

Selfridges collected duty up front but you couldn’t get the custom refund back from them? When I purchased from Matches a few years ago they also included the custom duty in their price and when I returned they refunded everything including custom. So now I don’t get why Selfridges said it was your responsibility to chase after custom....

In my case the seller does not deal with custom at all, UPS had their broker pay custom on my behalf when they tried to clear my package, UPS then asked me to pay them back before they would deliver the package to me.

Selfridges collected duty up front but you couldn’t get the custom refund back from them? When I purchased from Matches a few years ago they also included the custom duty in their price and when I returned they refunded everything including custom. So now I don’t get why Selfridges said it was your responsibility to chase after custom....

In my case the seller does not deal with custom at all, UPS had their broker pay custom on my behalf when they tried to clear my package, UPS then asked me to pay them back before they would deliver the package to me.

Yup, despite Selfridges collecting the duty fees upfront, they said that when making a return, it’s up to the customer to recoup from their local government. Sadly, I had missed that little blurb on international returns before making my purchase. Live and learn!
471DFB96-0BFC-483D-A5E8-541B1F4DC5C5.png