U.S. Custom Import Duty Drawback/Refund?

This whole customs refund issue has made me very careful as to which non-American companies I will buy from. No matter how tempting a deal it might be, it's definitely a risk as to customs fees. I stick to companies like 24S and the others who include it in the price/refund amount.

This whole customs refund issue has made me very careful as to which non-American companies I will buy from. No matter how tempting a deal it might be, it's definitely a risk as to customs fees. I stick to companies like 24S and the others who include it in the price/refund amount.

Totally agreed! It’s sad though; I’ve always wanted to buy more vintage chanel bags from Japanese resellers since they have wide range of bags that are in very good condition, but I don’t think any of them include custom duty in their prices...

Thanks for verifying what I suspected given what I have read on CBP website... definitely an expensive lesson for me as I spent $550 just to see a bag that is not as described by the seller!
Sorry to hear your situation. Can you please let me know what is the price of the bag you purchased? I am also purchasing a bag from Paris and have it shipped to US and I am wondering how much % of tax/duty I will have to pay. Thank you in advance.

Thank you. Do you have to pay the state sales tax as well based on the state it shipped to ?
If your state has “use tax,” they may ask you to pay that (% is same as sales tax). I’m in CA where they have use tax, and you are supposed to report that in your tax return. But I usually don’t. One time they did send me a bill months later after I filed my income tax return and asked me to pay the use tax, so that’s how I know about it. That was the only time I paid that use tax though.

If your state has “use tax,” they may ask you to pay that (% is same as sales tax). I’m in CA where they have use tax, and you are supposed to report that in your tax return. But I usually don’t. One time they did send me a bill months later after I filed my income tax return and asked me to pay the use tax, so that’s how I know about it. That was the only time I paid that use tax though.
Thank you for sharing. Do you happen to know the import duty on Jewelry shipment? It is in the material of white gold and diamond. Thank you!

So nobody has tried to get their import duty back from US custom when returning an international online purchase? I know that some overseas merchant already includes the import duty in their prices in which case they will take care of the import duty refund (like Matches or 24S). But what about merchants who don’t deal with that and you paid the import duty to the carrier directly (UPS, DHL)? I’m surprised that nobody ever talked about US import duty refund here in TPF.
Does 24s cover the cost of duty when the item arrives in the US? Is it already included in the price?

I just saw this thread pop up, I know your issue was months ago, but I will add my experience if anyone else searches for it. I have never been able to get back customs fees refunded, even after submitting documentation of the payment and of the return. I spent hours emailing back and forth through the broker, calling on the phone and submitting paperwork. After that, I considered any customs paid to be non-refundable.

Reactions: ssx3 and poshbean
I just saw this thread pop up, I know your issue was months ago, but I will add my experience if anyone else searches for it. I have never been able to get back customs fees refunded, even after submitting documentation of the payment and of the return. I spent hours emailing back and forth through the broker, calling on the phone and submitting paperwork. After that, I considered any customs paid to be non-refundable.
I am in the same boat and debating to keep the item instead of exchanging. This is the hardest decision. Did your package go through dhl or usps?

I am in the same boat and debating to keep the item instead of exchanging. This is the hardest decision. Did your package go through dhl or usps?
My experiences of not being able to get customs fees back on returned items were through DHL, Fedex, and UPS. I have never been successful, and each company said there is basically no way to do it. Maybe there is a way, but at that point I had spent so many hours that I just gave up and decided that I would not purchase anything in the future that I had any questions about.

Reactions: ssx3