U.S. Custom Import Duty Drawback/Refund?

My experiences of not being able to get customs fees back on returned items were through DHL, Fedex, and UPS. I have never been successful, and each company said there is basically no way to do it. Maybe there is a way, but at that point I had spent so many hours that I just gave up and decided that I would not purchase anything in the future that I had any questions about.
It is very frustrating. I emailed DHL and they are due to complexity their threshold is 20k. I wonder if anyone tried to report it their credit card. But then scared if DHL will blacklist you.

• Sad
Reactions: nicole0612
My experiences of not being able to get customs fees back on returned items were through DHL, Fedex, and UPS. I have never been successful, and each company said there is basically no way to do it. Maybe there is a way, but at that point I had spent so many hours that I just gave up and decided that I would not purchase anything in the future that I had any questions about.

Since you posted about this, did you have any luck? I have purchased things in the past and never bother returning because I also had no luck in getting the fee back. Thanks!

I just noticed you just posted this, so I’m sure you’ve had no luck, enlighten me if anything has changed in the last week lol! I was looking at the older posts.

I just noticed you just posted this, so I’m sure you’ve had no luck, enlighten me if anything has changed in the last week lol! I was looking at the older posts.
After investing hours of time and being unsuccessful in the attempts in the past, now I no longer even try. My time is more valuable, so when I purchase something, I just take that into account, that the customs fee will be lost if I need to return for any reason. So if the customs fee will be in the hundreds, and it is well priced and seems like a low risk, I will go for it. If the customs fee is in the thousands and there is a reasonable risk of something going wrong, then I do not purchase.

• Love
Reactions: marbella8
After investing hours of time and being unsuccessful in the attempts in the past, now I no longer even try. My time is more valuable, so when I purchase something, I just take that into account, that the customs fee will be lost if I need to return for any reason. So if the customs fee will be in the hundreds, and it is well priced and seems like a low risk, I will go for it. If the customs fee is in the thousands and there is a reasonable risk of something going wrong, then I do not purchase.
Yes, same here. Do you have a good website that’s clear on how much the customs fee will be (aside from the shipping company’s fees)? Thanks.

Yes, same here. Do you have a good website that’s clear on how much the customs fee will be (aside from the shipping company’s fees)? Thanks.
There isn’t a good one, just the huge table from customs, but it depends on how the seller categorizes it since there are so many thousands of options.
I think it also depends on the country it is being shipped from. Again, I’m not an expert, just going off of my own experience. I think we have a partial trade deal with a lot of countries, including Japan, UK and many European countries, but not all of them. In the lower tax rate case, I usually count on the tax being in the 7-12% range. For items coming from the Middle East or Hong Kong (and many other countries I’m sure), sometimes I’ve been surprised with a 25% rate for the same items I have been charged ~10% for origin from France, Italy etc.

Last edited:
There isn’t a good one, just the huge table from customs, but it depends on how the seller categorizes it since there are so many thousands of options.
I think it also depends on the country it is being shipped from. Again, I’m not an expert, just going off of my own experience. I think we have a partial trade deal with a lot of countries, including Japan, UK and many European countries, but not all of them. In the lower tax rate case, I usually count on the tax being in the 7-12% range. For items coming from the Middle East or Hong Kong (and many other countries I’m sure), sometimes I’ve been surprised with a 25% rate for the same items I have been charged ~10% for origin from France, Italy etc.
Thanks, this is very helpful!